SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Compressing Files

I would like to convert some of my recorded tv files to h264 once they have reached 30 days without me watching them. Would a program like mce buddy work that deletes the original after creating the convesion or would there be a problem since the filename has changed? I already use dvrmstoolbox to run comskip but I don't want to convert the files immediately just the old ones.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbearboy View Post
I would like to convert some of my recorded tv files to h264 once they have reached 30 days without me watching them. Would a program like mce buddy work that deletes the original after creating the convesion or would there be a problem since the filename has changed? I already use dvrmstoolbox to run comskip but I don't want to convert the files immediately just the old ones.
I'm pretty sure that SJQ will allow you to perform a task based upon recording date (and it can compare recording date to "today", so you can compute days since recording).

Check out the documentation linked in the thread.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25147

you can have it run the Sage builtin compression, or launch your own.

Matt
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Job Queue is a great tool but a bit too complicated for me. DirMon2 has an option to ignore files newer than X hours. For one month, X=720. MediaShrink will convert the video to whatever you want and delete the original file if requested.

SageTV is smart enough to notice that your filename.mpg is missing but a filename.avi (or whatever) is present in the same directory and will accept the new file as a replacement for the old. (Well, almost always. Sometimes, I have to restart the client before it notices the new file. Once or twice, SageTV couldn't find the new file at all. But considering how often I compress, it's got a great track record.)
Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I'm pretty sure that SJQ will allow you to perform a task based upon recording date (and it can compare recording date to "today", so you can compute days since recording).

Check out the documentation linked in the thread.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25147

you can have it run the Sage builtin compression, or launch your own.

Matt
SJQ also has a MediaAge test, so you can actually do exactly what the OP wants, namely perform compression on media objects older than 30 days.

Code:
if [IsTV == true && IsWatched == false && MediaAge > "30D" && Filename =% ".*\.(?:mpg|ts)"] {
   COMPRESS
}
This rule says, "if a file is a tv recording, has not been watched, is older than 30 days, and the file name ends with '.mpg' or '.ts' then run the COMPRESS task on it." I'm assuming that your recordings will be transcoded to something like .avi and that's how you'll ensure not to recompress a compressed file.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks
I looked into SJQ last night and installed it but was afraid about changing the file extensions so I left my rules editor blank.

I used handbrake to convert a mpg to a mp4 file and not the file is not showing up in my list of recordings. Is there an option I need to have turned on for Sage to find the new file and keep it in the list?

Last edited by stlbearboy; 04-09-2009 at 06:17 AM.