SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Pre-Sales:Sagetv with nas - all video formats playable?

Hello,

Will the SageTV hardware play all the video formats without the server software?

I need to connect it to may NAS (readynas pro) through "upnp/av" or "home media streaming server" or twonky or dnla.

thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hello,

Will the SageTV hardware play all the video formats without the server software?

I need to connect it to may NAS (readynas pro) through "upnp/av" or "home media streaming server" or twonky or dnla.

thanks.
"All" is quite broad. It will play "normal" formats in "normal" resolutions. If you tried to throw MJPEG (not MPEG) @ a resolution of 1427 x 123 it probably wouldn't, but if you are asking about MPEG's, H.264, DVIX, XVID, etc., then yes I would say it would do that without the server software.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 AM

By "all" i meant all the ones that sageTV is capable of playing. Is that what you are saying is possible?

Also, would there be any problems with the way i am planning to connect the device to the videos? (through the readynas?)

thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM

I have a ReadyNAS, and love the thing. However, you might find that it may be a little too slow to serve high definition video files. YMMV on this one, as several users on their forums say it works great for them, and several say it doesn't work at all.

I personally get stuttering, but it's infrequent enough that it doesn't bother me. If you're going to use it to stream video though, you should make sure that not much else is accessing it at the same time, or you're going to have issues.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Sage Icon

HD200 is able to play a wide array of formats. .ISO, MPG, Mpeg 2, Mpeg 4, .avi, .mkv and .wmv. All depends on format of the video.

I know had some issue with HD audio in .wmv but I think fixed in the latest beta. What formats do you have? Maybe we can confirm or deny.

There is an issue (i don't think has been fixed or can be), if you only have DTS audio track cannot be played through analog out. Only Optical.

I don't use the unit in standalone mode but I do have a readynas, which all video play great.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks naps and queonda - What are your guys setups for connect the sagtv with the readynas?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Sage Icon

I use the extender in server mode (have sagetv on my computer) and have varies movies and recorded content on my ready nas. I'm able to most of my video. Some issues I have are BlueRay ripped video and some wmv hd video. But currently running with an older beta, which I think the latest beta solves but I don't have time to take my system down and upgrade YET.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

As noted "all" can encompas a lot of things. SageTV software can play almost anything the PC had filters/decoders installed for, the same isn't true of the extender.

That said, it can play almost anything that's encoded with MPEG-2, H.264, VC1, MPEG-4 ASP, or to put it another way, almost anything you're likely to run into these days.

I've also got a ReadyNAS (X6), and it works great with the extender both in standalone and extender modes. I've played a couple Blu-rays as well as lots of trailers (Quicktime HD) DVDs and other misc videos off it. I've got everything connected to my Gig-E switch.