SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Sage User

Choppy Recorded no Live

I have seen a few posts on this topic but with no solutions so I offer my delima.

When playing live TV video in placeshifter the result is choppy (or slow). Audio is fine. When playing a recorded show Placeshifter is choppy for about 5seconds and then black screen with no audio.

What is odd (and will hopefully help find a solution) is that when the exact same recorded show/file (same file that SageTV is accessing) is streamed off a shared folder (to computer # 1 below using Total Media Theater), it runs fine. No chop and skipping through the file is flawless.

I have already tried the placeshifter settings to tell it not to transcode the files. When I do that I only get Blank Screens.

I have installed placeshifter on the three totally different machines.
1.) Wireless toughbook 1 ghz / 1 gig ram XP
2.) Wireless vaio 1.5ghz / 2 gig ram XP
3.) Wired desktop 3 ghz / 3 gigs ram XP

SageTVServer is 3ghz / 4 gigs ram WHS

All software is latest non beta (that its own updaters could detect). I know the first 2 machines are slower than the average bear, but machine 1 played the file fine over the network share. Its the same darn thing on all three machines so one would assume its a SageServer issue? Right?

What do you guys think out there in TV land think?

Last edited by woribhabor; 04-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Sage User

I have tried the buffer size tip listed in these forums. No dice.

I have traid "no transcoding" . . . black screens

I have attempted to use SageTV Client. The issues are basically the same.

I have removed firewalls. Nada
Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by woribhabor View Post
I have tried the buffer size tip listed in these forums. No dice.

I have traid "no transcoding" . . . black screens

I have attempted to use SageTV Client. The issues are basically the same.

I have removed firewalls. Nada
Your two wireless clients from your previous post have 2 strikes against them. One-they are wireless (You don't say G or N) and will definitely give you issues playing HD and probably give you issues with SD. Two-processors are 1.5GHz or less-definitely underpowered for HD and even SD may have issues. If you try wireless you should be using N.

Your third client is wired but you don't mention if it is 100MB or Gigabit.

If you loaded the Sage PC client on all of these your issue is probably network related or possibly hard drive thru-put from a server perspective.

For you clients and SageTV PC client it will be a combination of what video card or device they each have, what video decoders you have installed and can your video card/devices take advantage of hardware acceleration.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage User

I appreciate the response, but that makes little since since the machine can view the exact same file over a shared folder on the network. It plays flawlessly on the toughbook with TotalMedia Theater. This should eliminate any network issues or hard drive issues on the server. And should show that the computer has the correct Video codecs for the video in questions.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

But that doesn't mean you have chosen the correct codecs in Sage. Make sure you are using the TotalMedia Theater decoders within Sage. Choose them both for Video and DVD in Detailed Setup. Also I am diagnosing blind here because you have barely put up any information such as:
Video cards and drivers (what version)
Video renderer (overlay, VMR9, evr?)
Decoders
AUdio decoder (can affect the video performance)
Network speed
Tuners
OS on client

Placeshifter uses openGL to render the video so it doesn't matter what player you use you can't really compare it to that. Make sure 3d acceleration and post processing is turn off for Placeshifter.WHS runs SageTV as a service. The client you use must have an ID that exists on the WHS and have permissions to the share. If you provide more info there is a chance more people would try to help.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Sage User

Progress!

Instead of placeshifter I installed SageTV client where I was able to choose the ArcSoft video decoder. This has made recorded video watchable and live almost watchable (still shaky).

So my first question, is how do I specify this in Placeshifter? My second question is what Audio is used with TME, cause the video one was easy "ArcSoft . . . " but there is no ArcSoft Audio. For the time being i moved it from Sage to Default.

the only issue now is the Video output is off the screen about 25%. Sure there is a fix for that, but throwing it out real quick as I look.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Sage User

Update,

when i first start video playback the video screen is perfectly aligned. When I move the window the video becomes misaligned with the window. And stays about 25% off the the left.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Progress!

So my first question, is how do I specify this in Placeshifter.
You don't. Placeshifter is basically mplayer so you don't choose video or audio decoders.

Gerry
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Sage User

So what are the options? Client works because i can choose my video codec.

So know exactly what is wrong, but placeshifter won't let me fix it.

Do i just get a refund on placeshifter and assume it can't be used?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So what are the options? Client works because i can choose my video codec.

So know exactly what is wrong, but placeshifter won't let me fix it.

Do i just get a refund on placeshifter and assume it can't be used?
No. It can be used. I would think there are hundreds if not thousands using it But like I said you give out barely any info on what you have. You give even less on what you tried.
Look at your video drivers and see what version you are running, see what version of java you're running and run the latest beta of SageTV which is 6.5.14. Then if you're not successful open up a ticket with SageTV Support. Check the Supoort forum. Support ForumGood luck.

Gerry