SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Mike,

Where the videos/slash fanart is stored should have no bearing.

Let me suggest this on your server turn on scaling on posters and then scale all items. (this will take some time if your collection is large watch your processor/ram usage this will help you tell then it is done.)

Then go the extender and make sure scaling of the posters is on there.

Go to the wall and let me know if that fixes your problem. The only thing left that could be slowing it down is.

1. The fanart posters are to big (do you use BMT to fetch them all? If not they are probably larger than needed)
2. You still have a large quantity without fanart or with folder.jpegs?

cheers
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

1) where do i turn on scaling, and have it scale all images? ( in the old wall i was able to set it on the SMW startup screen, but i no longer see that)

2) I do use BMT now, but originally most fanart was obtained using Mediascraper

3) Only set of folders left with folder.jpeg is my Friends Season 1 - 10..those each have 4 discs, and inside each of the Video_TS i have a folder.jpefg...but that is only what 40 images (not sure if this would cause EVERYTHING to slow down, but its possible i suppose)

Thanks Plucky...
Old 06-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Just a thought, but how do you all have your fanart, and movies setup? I have mine setup such that ALL fanart is on the sage server, while movies are on the NAS. Could this be potentially causing UI lags in the SMW?
All my movies/fanart are local to the server BUT they are accessed via unc paths. ie \\svr1\dvd and \\svr1\fanart ...

If i remember, i think alot of NAS's typically aren't known for their throughput... so i spose this could theoretically be causing an issue... one question how is the performance of the default sagemc movie library when you set the number of rows/columns to be the same as SMW... plucky (mainly) and i spent a bunch of time debugging trying to optimize for unc paths and in the end got to be faster than the default sagemc video library view... hence the comparison to the default sagemc view
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
1) where do i turn on scaling, and have it scale all images? ( in the old wall i was able to set it on the SMW startup screen, but i no longer see that)
from homescreen >> options >> wall options >> load scaling menu >> on. go back to the main menu and enter the wall (navigate to the wall not just the homescreen)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
from homescreen >> options >> wall options >> load scaling menu >> on. go back to the main menu and enter the wall (navigate to the wall not just the homescreen)
Yes and make sure you set posters to scale turning scaling on does not scale the posters by default then there will be an option at the bottom to scale all items

I bet the is it as ep's scrapper did not scale posters originally don't know if it does now or not

And yes if the friends fanart posters are large it could slow it down depending how many are on the screen at once
Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

PluckyHD - I have a couple quick questions, hopefully you can get through quickly:

1) Can you get coverflow from within File System view? For instance, I have my videos broken out into 5 folders (Movies HD, Movies SD, Family Movies HD, Family Movies, TV Shows). These folders show in coverflow fine, but when I select the actual folder, say Movies HD, it goes back to list view (even though going to the View/Filter option still shows Coverflow).

2) Is it possible to save settings? I want Sort By to default to File-System, but every time I close out of SageTV and go back it this goes back to All Videos?

3) In CoverView (Perspective) do you know why it appears that the folder icons are duplicating? See attached, if you notice the 30 Days Of Night Icon is duplicating for all folders to the right of the current selected movie (if I move the cursor over the other folders the icon will then change to what it should be).Capture.JPG

4) In CoverView (perspective) is there an option to make it look like the folders/files are actually moving when you scroll (just something I have seen other programs do in coverview)

Appreciate your time. Thanks.

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Is there a way to set a filter and have it stay? Every time I go into the wall it is reset to show everything and I only want it to show DVDs.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM
SageTVaholic

1. yes change the drilldown option (wall options-Wall options, List Drill down style turn it off)

2. Yes if you set it within the wall (hit enter on the one you want) it will keep this setting. From the homescreen it does not set any properties.

3. No this is the first time i have seen this and it shouldn't be doing it. The phoenix Api use to do it about 5 builds ago but I haven't been able to replicate it in the most recent builds (try clearing your scaled images)

4. Animations are a PITA in sage but yes I am going to get better animations for the transitions in all views eventually

Also I will take this time to say I am changing some things to make my scaled/transformations easier to find in the cached folders they will be indentified by each type. I have found the cached folder can get quite big so me indentifing mine seperately will help.

Also sense you like coverflow view don't think I forgot about the info view there is one in progress that is going to be quite nice
Old 06-29-2009, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Is there a way to set a filter and have it stay? Every time I go into the wall it is reset to show everything and I only want it to show DVDs.
Yes on the filters it is like the default sagemc. Hit options when you are in the filter menu (in the wall not the homepage) there you can hit enter to change the default. (it will bring up a menu that says recorded tv options just realized that but it will set the default.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post

Also sense you like coverflow view don't think I forgot about the info view there is one in progress that is going to be quite nice
I say bring it on whatever view you have in mind I don't know if you have looked at the latest version of Media Browser but some of the views (Vanilla and Diamond) are pretty sharp.

This may be more of a SageTV related question, is there a way SageTV (or SWM) can handle local trailers. I have trailers saved in the same folder as the movie (called trailer.mov). Right now SMW shows them as two individual files, where it would be nice to just see the movie with an icon showing that when clicked would bring up the associated trailer (I have this set up on some of the other Media Center programs that I test). The movie xml references the trailer.

Sorry if I am getting a little ahead of myself, just exciting to see the work you have done to bring some life into the SageTV GUI.

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I say bring it on whatever view you have in mind I don't know if you have looked at the latest version of Media Browser but some of the views (Vanilla and Diamond) are pretty sharp.

This may be more of a SageTV related question, is there a way SageTV (or SWM) can handle local trailers. I have trailers saved in the same folder as the movie (called trailer.mov). Right now SMW shows them as two individual files, where it would be nice to just see the movie with an icon showing that when clicked would bring up the associated trailer (I have this set up on some of the other Media Center programs that I test). The movie xml references the trailer.

Sorry if I am getting a little ahead of myself, just exciting to see the work you have done to bring some life into the SageTV GUI.
No worries as you may or may not know I am a recent Media Center Convert Myself and Media Browser has been allot of influence (althought I find it fun to come up with my own stuff as well). Yes I have seen the new diamond and vanilla they look pretty good I will look into more views/themes once the basis are covered and working solid it doesn't take me too long these days to add a new view so suggestions are always welcome. Just remember when you look at media center it can't do DVD or bluray to extenders (the main thing that brought me to sage)

As for trailers someone pm'd once and asked for it I told them no problem and it is still on my to do list just haven't gotten that far yet. I did play with it and it is possible it will work more like you have all your trailers in one folder named after the movie

cheers and thanks for the compliments
Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Friggin Sweet guys!!!

I did what you said plucky..scaled everything fanart, and posters..now everything works AWESOMEly...except for joker which is a little slugish, but wifey likes refelctions, so i dodged that bullet :-)

Thanks so much for all of your help getting this to work. you guys rock!'

Let me know if i can help with anything..anything at all!

~Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Friggin Sweet guys!!!

I did what you said plucky..scaled everything fanart, and posters..now everything works AWESOMEly...except for joker which is a little slugish, but wifey likes refelctions, so i dodged that bullet :-)

Thanks so much for all of your help getting this to work. you guys rock!'

Let me know if i can help with anything..anything at all!

~Mike
Mike glad you got it working Scaling is always a last resort as then you are keepnig two copies of the fanart (but not much space!!!)

Also remember folder.jpegs are not scaled so get you some fanart for those
Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Sage Icon

Where is the scaled fanart stored? in your directory under sage?

Its def not in my central fanart location
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
SageTVaholic

if you haven't changed the default

Sagetv\sagetv\cache

Off the top of my head I believe that is it they are currently stored in random folder names but I am in the process of changing that for my apps images
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Sage Icon

I've tried the latest beta of SMW, and I'm having some serious speed issues on both my HD200, and HD100. When I initially bring up the wall (the default wall currently), the extenders are extremely slow (forget even trying Placeshifter remotely with it, becomes unresponsive). After several tries on my HD100, I had to restart the service to get Sage functioning properly. Even if I filter the system down to just DVD/Bluray's, it's still very sluggish. I'm wondering if it's the amount of recordings in my library causing the issue?

My question is, how large are the libraries of the folks who aren't having speed issues? I currently have about 400 DVD's on the system, and about 30 Bluray's. For other movies files (xvids, mkv's, etc), I'd say they total about 1100 or so additional files (tons of TV show episodes converted over to xvids, along with my initial DVD collection that I converted before some tool stole them all from our house). I'm currently storing them all on a Unraid box, but my fanart storage is on one of the local drives on my WHS machine (and not shared, I don't use any PC clients, so it was necessary). Is the sluggishness related to the amount of files, or the initial scaling & caching of all the fanart images (I'd say I have about a 98% complete fanart DB for all that stuff).
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I've tried the latest beta of SMW, and I'm having some serious speed issues on both my HD200, and HD100. When I initially bring up the wall (the default wall currently), the extenders are extremely slow (forget even trying Placeshifter remotely with it, becomes unresponsive). After several tries on my HD100, I had to restart the service to get Sage functioning properly. Even if I filter the system down to just DVD/Bluray's, it's still very sluggish. I'm wondering if it's the amount of recordings in my library causing the issue?

My question is, how large are the libraries of the folks who aren't having speed issues? I currently have about 400 DVD's on the system, and about 30 Bluray's. For other movies files (xvids, mkv's, etc), I'd say they total about 1100 or so additional files (tons of TV show episodes converted over to xvids, along with my initial DVD collection that I converted before some tool stole them all from our house). I'm currently storing them all on a Unraid box, but my fanart storage is on one of the local drives on my WHS machine (and not shared, I don't use any PC clients, so it was necessary). Is the sluggishness related to the amount of files, or the initial scaling & caching of all the fanart images (I'd say I have about a 98% complete fanart DB for all that stuff).
The size of library shouldn't make a difference in the wall as it is still going to load the same amount of fanart on the screen for any given collection size.

That being said how did you collect your fanart? My guess is that your fanart files are too large. Also are any of them folder.jpgs if they to are large it will slow it down.

Have you turned scaling of the posters on (not just scaling but scaling of the posters? ) if so have you scaled all items after turning scaling of the posters. 99% of the time that will get rid of speed issues when navigating the wall. Keep in mind that if you have a lot of folder.jpegs my app does not scale them.

cheers
Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

Plucky -

Do you know why when i have the .properties files completed filled out (Runtime, etc) certain items will not show up afterdoing a completelibrary re-imort?

Most notably is the RunTime

RunTime=101 min

All of my properties files have the above line, however in the movie wall, and even the defaul SageMC i cannot get the runtimes to show up..

~Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

If they don't show up in the default then they are not importing right. May want to ask in whatever fetcher you are using (BMT, EP's app).

Also runtime in the properties file should show as MS not minutes. (Unless BMT has changed how they import it.)
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
The size of library shouldn't make a difference in the wall as it is still going to load the same amount of fanart on the screen for any given collection size.

That being said how did you collect your fanart? My guess is that your fanart files are too large. Also are any of them folder.jpgs if they to are large it will slow it down.

Have you turned scaling of the posters on (not just scaling but scaling of the posters? ) if so have you scaled all items after turning scaling of the posters. 99% of the time that will get rid of speed issues when navigating the wall. Keep in mind that if you have a lot of folder.jpegs my app does not scale them.

cheers
I haven't played with the scaling settings at all yet (it was slow enough that I only got the selection bar to the bottom after a few minutes of the initial screen loading, and after a few minutes beyond that I had to restart the service). My fanart was almost 100% collected by BMT, and is in whatever format that uses by default. I'll try turning on the scaling & poster scaling when I get home and see if that improves speed. I'd also be willing to bet I need to up the JVM heap size (can't remember if I did that after the last re-install), which would help with some other issues I've seen recently. Just wish WHS was 64-bit so it would use more than 4g of memory...

I also just tried via placeshifter (remotely at that), turning on the scaling option, and that did appear to help out somewhat with speed from remote. I didn't see an option to do poster scaling, but haven't really checked everything. I'll let you know if it helps the HD100 at the house later this afternoon.

Last edited by heffe2001; 06-30-2009 at 12:12 PM.