SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

another potential extender?

I heard about this product, the Myka, which claims to be an open source media extender. I'm wondering what people's thoughts would be on giving it the ability to act as a Sage Extender.

In reading their pages, it looks like it may only be open source in the sense that anyone can program plugins (i.e. YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu etc) that people can download to their boxes via a built-in plugin service.

I also read somewhere that they are working on licensing to get NetFlix Watch It Now.

It also has WiFi and an internal hard drive.

Looks interesting...

Todd

(I have no affiliation with this product, it just looks cool.)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapin View Post
I heard about this product, the Myka, which claims to be an open source media extender. I'm wondering what people's thoughts would be on giving it the ability to act as a Sage Extender.

In reading their pages, it looks like it may only be open source in the sense that anyone can program plugins (i.e. YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu etc) that people can download to their boxes via a built-in plugin service.

I also read somewhere that they are working on licensing to get NetFlix Watch It Now.

It also has WiFi and an internal hard drive.

Looks interesting...

Todd

(I have no affiliation with this product, it just looks cool.)
Eh. More expensive than the HD200 (sure you get a hard drive, but I have those, I don't need another). No additional features that the HD200 has that I would use (I would still never trust streaming video over wifi, not in my neighborhood). And obviously no guarentee that it will ever work with Sage.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Sage User

its based on popcorn hour (you can see the gui while in movie, its same as popcorn hour)
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Having bought and used a popcorn hour device... it is pretty slick... and it will play just about anything (but so does the hd200) but i found the interface to be incredibly sluggish.... I watched the video on the site that you posted, and from that video, it makes it look like selecting a video and hitting play is an instant operation..... the video is edited because it's actually a lot more sluggish than the video shows.

I'd put my money into the HD200 before I invested in another popcorn hour device.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Having bought and used a popcorn hour device... it is pretty slick... and it will play just about anything (but so does the hd200) but i found the interface to be incredibly sluggish.... I watched the video on the site that you posted, and from that video, it makes it look like selecting a video and hitting play is an instant operation..... the video is edited because it's actually a lot more sluggish than the video shows.
Out of curiosity, have you compared the HD200 in standalone mode to the PCH? In my extremely limited testing, the HD200 seems significantly more sluggish in standalone mode compared to when it is being used as an extender.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Is it finally out? It was announced over a year ago and made Wired's Vaporware list last year. As Kewlguy pointed out, Popcorn Hour beat them to it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you compared the HD200 in standalone mode to the PCH? In my extremely limited testing, the HD200 seems significantly more sluggish in standalone mode compared to when it is being used as an extender.
I don't have a HD200.... but maybe someday
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

Interesting commentary!

Thanks guys.