SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Support for new Blackmagic Video Recorder component

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...videorecorder/

"Capture video direct to H.264 video files for your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, YouTube and even full resolution video backups! Only $149

Video Recorder can convert your old NTSC, PAL or SECAM videos in to modern digital video using high quality H.264 encoding. Previously H.264 encoding was either a very slow software process or required fast, expensive computer hardware. Video Recorderdoes all the encoding work in real time so you don’t need an expensive computer to convert your precious video archives in to H.264 digital video."

Ok, so it looks like Blackmagic has a hardware component level input with composite and s-video as well input device for USB with built in H.264 compression. It's about $100 less than the HD PVR and much smaller.

Any plans for SageTV to support this? If so, I want one or two.

Thanks,
-Nyle
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

And it only captures SD video. No HD capture.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Sage Expert

what a waste
Old 05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
And it only captures SD video. No HD capture.
Then what's the point?

Now on second thought, maybe there are people that are happy with sd............maybe.
This product is a no go for htpc folks.

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 05-12-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Then what's the point?
The hordes of people with SD level devices? Even if I had an HD STB most channels are still SD. I just want something that can grab component and look as good as it does cabled direct which should be better than capturing via s-video.

However this: "*Capture from DVD players is only supported when capturing DVD home recorded videos and not copyrighted DVDs. " tells me that the drivers are locked down and DRM'd to death. Not sure how that works over a component connection but it suggests that we're not likely to see it work directly in sage.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post
The hordes of people with SD level devices? Even if I had an HD STB most channels are still SD. I just want something that can grab component and look as good as it does cabled direct which should be better than capturing via s-video.

However this: "*Capture from DVD players is only supported when capturing DVD home recorded videos and not copyrighted DVDs. " tells me that the drivers are locked down and DRM'd to death. Not sure how that works over a component connection but it suggests that we're not likely to see it work directly in sage.
It might mean that if MacroVision copy protection is detected that capture is disabled. Shouldn't affect anyone recording from an STB.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

HAVA works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingisson View Post

I'm doing just that with a HAVA Platinum ... works fine with SAGE captures component from cable box just fine. Seems like I've become the HAVA fanboy here! Do search and lots posted here on HAVA. You will also find a review by Jason in the download section.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
It might mean that if MacroVision copy protection is detected that capture is disabled.
That's what I thought, so not a problem. But the software appears to be only Mac and the SDK doesn't cover it at all. Does sage need device specific support for a device like this so that it appears as a device like it does for the Hauppauge etc? It looks like a no starter all the way around.
I want an HDPVR (and an extender) but the prices are pretty high in Canada and aren't getting better despite 'stimulus sales'.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm doing just that with a HAVA Platinum
Oh I saw that post and almost tripped over my wallet when I saw the woot sale. But alas, the $C was the problem again ($60 on sale u.s. but $180 in Canada)
That's still my best alternative right now.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post

"Capture video direct to H.264 video files for your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, YouTube and even full resolution video backups! Only $149

Ok, so it looks like Blackmagic has a hardware component level input with composite and s-video as well input device for USB with built in H.264 compression. It's about $100 less than the HD PVR and much smaller.

Any plans for SageTV to support this? If so, I want one or two.

Thanks,
-Nyle
Never mind it can't support it.

"Third party application support
The Blackmagic Video Recorder software must be used to record video with the Video Recorder hardware. Third party software applications cannot currently be used to record video with the Video Recorder hardware. Once you have recorded your video with Video Recorder, you should be able to play back your H.264 movies with almost any software which supports QuickTime."
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Sage User

Anyone?!

I bought an HD-PVR and so far the best I can do is not make it suck much. Follower all the suggestions here and even some of my own. Works worse on its own NEC USB 3.0 controller, have the lid off and heat sinks attached to all the chips. IR window is taped over. It sucks. The machine ins a Phenom II 965 with 4gig of ram running XP with an Nvidia 460 card. This machine should be capable of almost anything and this little box just crashes. So I'm looking for alternatives and found this from Black Magic. I know their other product captured uncompressed but this seems to capture to H.264 like the HD PVR without all the overhead of the remote ad other. Anyone tried it yet?

* merged *
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Sage User

Ug, never mind. got my own answer. 480P and 4x3 aspect only. worthless for component in.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

Good info here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...55&postcount=4
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2