SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Sage User

Possible to switch client/server licenses? e.g. PC-->Mac

Hi all,

I have a fairly extensive sage system, 3 extenders, 1 windows server, 1 windows client, and 1 mac client. As I am transitioning all of my PCs to Macs, I was wondering if it would be possible to "trade" in my PC server license and my PC client license for Mac versions. Since the costs are the same, and since Sage could easily just deactivate my old licenses, I don't see why it would be a problem. Has anyone actaully done this?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I've never heard of a case where this has been done. You could email the sales office and ask, but I'm guessing the answer will be No.

I'm also guessing that their licensing tech doesn't allow for deactivating a license, and that all it does is some internal consistency check to verify that the license key was generated by their key generator. So they'd basically have to take your word for it that you'll stop using the Windows licenses.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

This thread indicates SageTV will not convert or transfer licenses between different operating systems. You must purchase a new license (obviously I do not speak for SageTV, I just gained this information from a search of the forum):

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32243
Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Sage User

Thanks. Your search skills are obviously better than mine.

It is disappointing that I will have to shell out additional cash for essentially the same functions, but I'll just have to bite the bullet I guess...
Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by merneric View Post
Thanks. Your search skills are obviously better than mine.

It is disappointing that I will have to shell out additional cash for essentially the same functions, but I'll just have to bite the bullet I guess...
perhaps disappointing, but the same as 99% of other software creators.

I wish i could convert my MS Office licenses to OS X licenses...or my Adobe CS...
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 05-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Sage User

Fair enough.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Sage User

Actually, Adobe DOES let you crossgrade. 2 years ago I wanted to both cross and upgrade from the Macromedia Suite for PC to the latest version on Mac. I called them. They let me do it for the normal upgrade price. The catch? They emailed me a form which I had to sign and return stating that I would destroy/uninstall all copies and licenses of the Windows version; only after they received that form could I do the upgrade.

I've also done this with other software in the past, so my experience is the opposite...should be quite possible.

I've just emailed Sage, hoping for the same, though after reading this thread, I'm not as hopeful. But maybe they'll see my post here, catch a clue, and create a crossgrade program for us switchers. Even if I have to pay $29.95 to crossgrade, I'd rather do than then shell out another $79.95 for the same version of the app I already "own."

ASUS A7V8X-MX SE | AMD 2200+, VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP, 1280mb PC3200, PVR-350, Creative Extigy, LG DVD ROM /CD RW | Plextor DVD R/RW, 120GB | 160GB, Sage 6.3, Windows X(tracrap)P Pro SP2