SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Spinning wheel cursor when loading the Guide?

I've always shrugged off this annoying issue over and over again; since I've had bigger sageTV problems to worry about in the past. I'm not sure if something is broken or this is a missing feature; but, there's no spinning wheel cursor when I press the Guide button on my remote control to get to the Guide. So, when I press the Guide button on my remote control, I have no idea if the command was accepted or not after I press it. I have to wait 2-3 seconds just to see if I need to press it again or not.

If there's something broken on my setup to cause this could someone please offer suggestions on how to get it to work without having to start all over from a clean install? If this is a missing feature, could we please get this added to sageMC in the next release?

Thanks in advance!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Sage Expert

Sometimes Sage puts up the spinning cursor but most of the time it doesn't. It comes from the server, so if there is a communications issue you won't get the spinning cursor, but then it will execute all those button pushes when (and if) it starts working again. Just don't push anything potentially crucial when testing. When I suspect a problem, I usually limit my button pushing to up and down arrows.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, but I am on the same machine as the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedml View Post
Sometimes Sage puts up the spinning cursor but most of the time it doesn't. It comes from the server, so if there is a communications issue you won't get the spinning cursor, but then it will execute all those button pushes when (and if) it starts working again. Just don't push anything potentially crucial when testing. When I suspect a problem, I usually limit my button pushing to up and down arrows.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I just wanted to get a definitive answer if this is a missing feature or something is broken.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I just wanted to get a definitive answer if this is a missing feature or something is broken.
You're not alone. I see this very often with the SageMC UI when there is a video preview running. If I'm watching a show and press the guide button, the video preview comes up, and then it sometimes takes a long time for the rest of the screen to come up. If I press Stop to stop the video preview, once the SageTV service registers the Stop button then the UI becomes responsive again. I'm pretty sure it's not a JVM heap size issue. I'm not sure what SageMC UI is doing differently with the video preview that the default UI isn't, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of bug in the SageMC STV code.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm guessing we'll just have to learn to live with this problem. My previous experience with these kinds of issues is sageTV support is more than willing to fix the problems in the sageTV core, but just cant get the sageMC developers to make time to fix the problem.

For example, there's the problem where animations dont work when the video preview window is active in sageMC.. this doesnt happen with the standard STV. SageTV support wanted to help fix the problem...

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-11-2009, 07:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I'm guessing we'll just have to learn to live with this problem. My previous experience with these kinds of issues is sageTV support is more than willing to fix the problems in the sageTV core, but just cant get the sageMC developers to make time to fix the problem.

For example, there's the problem where animations dont work when the video preview window is active in sageMC.. this doesnt happen with the standard STV. SageTV support wanted to help fix the problem...
You made a mistake in your comments above. It isn't "sageMC developers", it's "SageMC developer".

My time is very limited. I do what I can, when I can. You are more than welcome to take over the development of SageMC at any time.

Mike
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I would in a heartbeat if I knew how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
You made a mistake in your comments above. It isn't "sageMC developers", it's "SageMC developer".

My time is very limited. I do what I can, when I can. You are more than welcome to take over the development of SageMC at any time.

Mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't know how to when I started either. If you're serious about it, you should start reading. I suggest reading the Studio manual and going through the tutorials.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Believe me, I tried and tried; with a very strong motivation to fix issues or add graphics that I REALLY wanted to fix or add. I can only make minor changes to items in studio at best. It's like an artist saying... "I didn’t know how to paint either, I just picked up the brush..." Not that many people have the gift for this kind of stuff and be good at it. Those people that can, are really lucky. If I had this kind of a gift for the aptitude needed to pick this stuff up quickly and make the respective artwork, you bet I would be all over it with a passion. The only way I know how to contribute is with a monetary donation unfortunately.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
SageTVaholic

FYI, I just checked bringing up the Guide with and without an active video on my client machine and both were instantaneous. If there is a bug in SageMC causing this, I can't reproduce it.

Also, the SageTV core is responsible for displaying the Spinning Circle of Patience. There is no explicit code in SageMC for it at all.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Mike, it think in order to see the problem, you need a relatively large number of channels with respective channel logos for all the channels; otherwise, the guide will come up instantly.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you using high resolution channel logos?