SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Need Volunteer - Writeup on SageTV with WHS

For those of you with experience with using SageTV and Windows Home Server, I'm looking for someone willing to do a writeup on their experience which I would post on GeekTonic.

The goal of this writeup would be to:
1. Inform the public about the WHS version of SageTV and
2. Educate those who might be interested in using WHS with SageTV.

I don't currently have WHS so it's one of those things I couldn't write about from firsthand experience.

If interested let me know by sending me a direct message. If I happen to get more than one volunteer, I'll probably combine the two somehow.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Hi Brent,
As a SageTV on WHS user, I'll take a stab at this. I'll do my best to refrain from communist-block references and will try to keep South Park quotes to 3 or less.
I'll shoot you an email tomorrow and we can hammer out the details.
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Okay, that's two volunteers now (the other one direct messaged me) so that should do it. Of course if anyone wants to contribute anything similar I'm always open to that.

GeekTonic is meant to be an all-HTPC and all-media gadget type blog, but SageTV has a definite presence there as I try to inform and educate current and potential users These sort of articles help tremendously in that endeavor.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am new to SageTV – this forum, Geek Tonic and many others were instrumental in helping me through the journey. Many, many, thanks to all.

My first install was on my main PC at the time, a P4 w/Windows XP Home. I quickly evaluated MediaPortal and GB-PVR then (thankfully) found SageTV. I purchased 2 tuner cards, S/PDIF sound card, TV Out video card and thought I would be good to go – quickly discovered the good-bad of a PC client. Fortunately I was able to transfer the tuner cards to my next system.

Further research suggested media extenders might be the way to go. I ordered a SageTV HD 200 and MediaMVP (save a little money, so I thought). The MVP came first and I was impressed how easily it connected to my SageTV server. Then the HD 200 arrived and a world of difference (great remote, picture quality and audio level for a start). The HD 200 was a hedge against going HD in the future and as for the MVP – while of good quality, I should have bought another HD 200 instead.

Next on the list was Windows Home Server. It sounded ideal. I downloaded the trial version and wow. WHS users know what I mean – stable, flexible, powerful. SageTV is a perfect match for this platform. As I was testing WHS on my original P4 machine I decided to build my first ever PC, an AMD 4850e based HTPC w/Vista Home Basic. Briefly tested SageTV as client / server but now this is my main desktop. Guess I should change the ‘name’ from HTPC. The build was fun, easy and a great learning experience. It went so well I decided to build an Intel dual-core WHS specifically for SageTV. This is where I am at today and have just purchased and installed (minutes) my first HD PVR.

My SageTV – Windows Home Server journey has taken place over a period of 4 months. I have been off work for a bit (planned) and had the time available. I did found it easy to spend way too much money on this – the easy route is just go buy a couple of High-Def PVR boxes (2 x $500) from your service provider – but that’s no fun and no way can you do with that what you can do with SageTV. Not even close. It’s all about control.

My SageTV Configuration (for now, always evolving)

Server: WHS, Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L, Intel E2200, 2GB, Liteon Blu-ray
Storage: 500GB (x2) Pool, 1TB SageTV Recording, 750GB External
Capture: HVR 1600 (Analog), HVR 1600 (SA 3200) HD PVR D2 (SA 3250HD), USB-UIRT
Extenders: HD 200 (40” LCD), MVP (27” CRT)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Server_Closet_Shelf.JPG (92.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Server_Close-up.JPG (124.6 KB, 275 views)
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Sage Expert

Nice, that picture of your shelf gave me some ideas on how I need to do my setup! Thanks for the ideas.