SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

About those notification only topics

Since a "notifications only" topic was replied to two days in a row, I thought I would post exactly what this type of warning means:
Quote:
This topic is open so that forum members can subscribe to it in order to receive email notifications of new firmware versions or other notifications about the SageTV HD extenders.
You can subscribe under "Thread Tools", just above the first post on the page.
Please do not post any replies here; they will be removed... or worse.
The consequence of posting to a topic with that type of warning is that you will, at a minimum, lose access to the entire subforum where the notification topic is located. Access will be restored once you realize what has happened and sufficient time has elapsed.

This is done because people subscribe to those topics with the knowledge that they will receive an email when a new post is made to them. If someone posts a comment or question, that will also result in an email, reducing the value of the subscription to the topic. Some people do not visit the forum every day and rely on the notification email to tell them important news.

So, please pay attention to those warnings and be considerate of those who have subscribed by posting somewhere else when you have a question or comment.

Thank you.

Note: the quoted warning, above, does not apply to this thread.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Sage Expert

Andy,

Is there anyway to setup vBulletin so you can subscribe to locked threads? Maybe a plugin or something?

This seems like something other forums would have a use for too.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Is there anyway to setup vBulletin so you can subscribe to locked threads? Maybe a plugin or something?
I haven't found a plugin or forum setting for that, so far.

If there is one, I would be glad to look into it & save everyone the trouble.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Sage Expert

I've been Googling away but can't find anything. A few people have requested it as a feature on the vBulletin forums, but doesn't look like anything every came of it
Old 06-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator

I just had an idea... the Announcements forum is closed to posting, but most of the threads are open. Could someone try subscribing to one & let me know if that works? (The "Subscribe to this Thread" option is in the "Thread Tools" drop down menu.)

If so, perhaps we could set up a notifications subforum & put all the subscription topics there.

- Andy
Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

I just subscribed to the HD200 Coupon Code Available thread without any warning or messages telling me I couldn't and it now shows up in my list of subscribed threads.

If you want to test this to completion, feel free to post a temporary response to that thread and I'll let you know if I'm notified about it.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Thanks... test post was made & deleted.

- Andy
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Recieved the notification perfectly! Works like a charm!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Would the 3rd party developers of certain sage plugins be able to utilize that forum as well?

I think that Mike and Sean (Meinmaui and Stuckless), and perhaps others, have notification-only threads.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Recieved the notification perfectly! Works like a charm!
Great! Thanks again for testing it.

The current notification threads have been moved to the Announcements forum, so we no longer need to worry about extraneous replies generating unnecessary emails.

BTW: you can also subscribe to that forum to receive emails for announcements posted as new topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Would the 3rd party developers of certain sage plugins be able to utilize that forum as well?
Sorry, but the Announcements forum is not for customization topics.

- Andy
Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Sage Expert

Could there be a sub-forum in the customizations forum for announcements? Or would that just confuse things?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Could there be a sub-forum in the customizations forum for announcements?
Yes, I can do that too. That will take a little longer, though, because setting up a new forum w/different permissions takes longer than moving existing threads.

- Andy
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

I finally found time to create the Customization Announcements forum.

It is possible that the permissions have been set up correctly, but I need to go find some threads to move to that forum & allow some people to post there...

- Andy