SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks to whoever put together those DIY instructions - got mine back up and running in less than 15 minutes once I sat down with the replacement caps in hand.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Add one more to the pile of success stories with this fix. Thanks OP!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Sage Expert

I found my HD-100 dead yesterday morning. I was not even aware of this affliction until I found this thread. I went to The Shack today for the caps and some desoldering braid. It took me about two hours to complete the removal and replacement, but the unit works again now. I now know that desoldering is not for the particularly inept or for those with large hands and bad near-field vision.

Thanks to all who have contributed instructions in this thread. It has been an absolute lifesaver...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

One of my two HD-100s started losing IR range this week, and within 3 days was blinky-red dead. I work with some hardware folks, so I had one of them replace the caps with the radioshack model in the guide. Worked brilliantly!
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Found one of mine dead Thursday night when I went to bed. Bought the new caps Friday and fixed it quickly when I got home from work.

I emailed support before I looked for this thread that I knew existed and they replied with the $39 RMA. I have to give them credit though, in their email back to me they said if up to it there are two do-it-yourself fixes and they linked both of them, so kudos to them for giving people multiple options. Sure is nice fixing myself in 10 minutes then sending it back and being without it for a couple weeks.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I found my HD-100 dead yesterday morning. I was not even aware of this affliction until I found this thread. I went to The Shack today for the caps and some desoldering braid. It took me about two hours to complete the removal and replacement, but the unit works again now. I now know that desoldering is not for the particularly inept or for those with large hands and bad near-field vision.

Thanks to all who have contributed instructions in this thread. It has been an absolute lifesaver...
I hear ya jchiso, I did mine a couple of weeks ago as well, but rememebered from the past not to mess with the braid.

For others with 'Meat Hooks' and/or diminishing vision , I suggust you get a solder removal sucker rather then the braid. It really helps get the solder out much quicker. You get to focus on heating up the old joint and sucking solder out rather than worry about the braid placement, and getting the braid soldered into the joint, etc.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Found one of mine dead Thursday night when I went to bed. Bought the new caps Friday and fixed it quickly when I got home from work.

I emailed support before I looked for this thread that I knew existed and they replied with the $39 RMA. I have to give them credit though, in their email back to me they said if up to it there are two do-it-yourself fixes and they linked both of them, so kudos to them for giving people multiple options. Sure is nice fixing myself in 10 minutes then sending it back and being without it for a couple weeks.

I agree. Sage gave me the same information on how to "do-it-yourself". It sounded a little intimidating at first, but now I have learned a new skill, too. And if I had not, $39 or so is still a good price to get this thing back online. I think I did it for around $30 myself and that included buying new tools. If anything like this happened again I would be out less than $5.

Now I find myself looking at my other household electronics in hopes of using my soldering gun again. I hope nothing breaks, but I feel more confident now if it does.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

While I am still one of the lucky ones (3 different HD100's and not one has gone down). I have decided to go ahead and order everything I needed to do the fix myself (my soldering iron so I ordered all new tools). I figured I would rather order everything and have them on hand, rather than take the chance and have to pay retail! New Soldering Iron, Rosin Core Solder, Solder Pump, and 10 capacitors and it only cost me about $15. Thanks Ebay!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I went over to Radio Shack and got some capacitors to fix mine finally and it took me all of maybe 15-20 minutes to fix it. Thanks cocoontech.com for the great repair guide!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Sage User

One of my two HD100 just had this problem. A quick trip to RadioShack and about 10 minutes to desolder and resolder and it is working fine now.

I'm going to order some caps for my other unit and pro-actively replace them since I'm sure they will go sooner or later.

Eric
Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I went over to Radio Shack and got some capacitors to fix mine finally and it took me all of maybe 15-20 minutes to fix it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvic View Post
... A quick trip to RadioShack and about 10 minutes to desolder and resolder and it is working fine now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslatt View Post
... got mine back up and running in less than 15 minutes once I sat down with the replacement caps in hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycron View Post
... It took me longer to drive to Radio Shack [than] to fix the problem...
Okay, many here have chimed in on how easy this upgrade was. If anyone is planning to upgrade an additional unit it would be of great help if you were to illustrate your technique, whether by photos or video.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Okay, many here have chimed in on how easy this upgrade was. If anyone is planning to upgrade an additional unit it would be of great help if you were to illustrate your technique, whether by photos or video.

Thanks in advance...
See
http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/art...hd100-extender
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
I saw that and referred to it in my repair, but this while this covers the steps and shows "Before and After" it does not illustrate the techniques used to complete the operation...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Sage User

Add one more to the list

One of my two HD100s died yesterday, but thanks to the instructions in this thread I was up on the air within 15 minutes. The worst part was scrounging the caps from my bone pile of old motherboards. Turns out that there are 16V parts on the 12V switching supply for the CPU power, which did the trick!

ASUS Z68MX-UDH2, Ci5-2500k @3.4GHz, 8GB , 2x2TB Seagate Pipeline, HDHR Prime, HDHR, Win 10x64, Sage V9
Clients: 1 HD 200, 1 HD 300, 5 PCs
Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I saw that and referred to it in my repair, but this while this covers the steps and shows "Before and After" it does not illustrate the techniques used to complete the operation...
It is too late for me to show pictures since I already did it. But basically, I held the hot tip of the soldering iron to the wire on the bottom of the circuit board. I used latex gloves to prevent any grease from my fingers from contaiminating anything or getting molten metal on my hands.

I used a suction device from radio shack that used a 1-button push technique to "suck up" molten solder. I ejected the molten stuff onto a wet sponge whenever I reloaded the suction device.

Once the solder was loose enough to pull the old caps out, I did so--and no more.

Putting the new ones in was much easier and I will go into more detail later after I think about. Hopefully I don't forget to do that.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungod View Post
It is too late for me to show pictures since I already did it. But basically, I held the hot tip of the soldering iron to the wire on the bottom of the circuit board. I used latex gloves to prevent any grease from my fingers from contaiminating anything or getting molten metal on my hands.

I used a suction device from radio shack that used a 1-button push technique to "suck up" molten solder. I ejected the molten stuff onto a wet sponge whenever I reloaded the suction device.

Once the solder was loose enough to pull the old caps out, I did so--and no more.

Putting the new ones in was much easier and I will go into more detail later after I think about. Hopefully I don't forget to do that.
That's good info. As I mentioned, I was able to complete my upgrade, but with considerably more difficulty. Clearly, there will be others who stumble upon this thread, so the more info that is provided here, the better.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

yeah, jchiso, It took me about an hour to actually do the work. I took my time because I did not want to damage anything. So long as you have a steady hand and some patience, it can be done.

But if does not sound too easy for someone the cost of repairs (from tech support) is not that high, either. It was less than $40 if I remember right.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I just repaired my HD100 as well.
I tried the capacitor route - but suspect my soldering was not up to par.

Ended up using the external power supply (10 $ off of ebay).

The Xbox running XBMC is back in the bedroom now !
(Must admit I had gotten used to the speed of navigating with the Xbox - the HD100 feels a bit slow now).

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Did the repair on mine tonight. Took longer for the iron to heat up than to replace the 3 caps. 2 of the 3 were starting to swell. No more annoying squeal from the box. Props to whoever came up w/ the fix.

Just one question... who in their right mind puts 10V caps in a power supply? I was a bit shocked when I saw the rating. It's no wonder they started to fail. 35V should provide a good cushion and last quite a bit longer.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Add another to the list. My extender was ordered the first day they were released. It didn't fail completely but for the past couple days it had been making an annoying buzzing noise, so I figured I would go ahead and fix it before it went out completely. After replacing the caps no more buzzing. 2 of the 3 caps were bulging out at the top with some residue on them.

Miller