SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Sage Expert

anyone tried the new N wireless option yet?

Even though I have my house wired, with the N adapter only about $20 I'm tempted to pick one up out of sheer curiosity. I've had very mixed results with wireless N streaming in the past.

Of course this is a big YMMV issue.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Sage User

Hi There

I've both wired connections and wireless at home. I'm using a Dir-655 router with N option. This works great for me with my Dell Latitude D430. I can stream Live HDTV (Mpeg-4) and HD material such as BluRay, however, I live in a wooden house that are not that big, 60 square meter on each floor. So I have 100% signal strenght all over the house.

Update: I have WMM enabled which should make a difference also QoS set on the Video traffic.
Equipment: Dell Precision 670 2x3.0GHz XEON, Win 7Pro, SageTV 7, HDD:1 TB + Rec. disk:2x500 GB (RAID), GPU: ATI HD4670, 4x FireDTV CI/T, 3x AnySee E7 T2C and Display: BenQ W6000, 120"-screen. Extenders HD 200 x 2, HD 300 x 2.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll begin testing tonight with the recommended Adapter. Had a bit of an issue with the UPS delivery or would have been testing over the weekend between working hours.

Anyway I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes. If it works well I might be in for another HD200 for a non-networked room. You know because I'm that insane...

PS: I might have an opportunity to try the other 5G adapter later as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Been testing with the wireless adapter on a N network with excellent results so far. Tried it on 2 different HD200's. One in next room from wireless router and another up one floor and on the other side of the house - a decent distance and through multiple walls.

So far count me as impressed - I'll have to test some more over the next few days. I'll be writing up how you go through the setup and all but it was very easy.

Tested playback with not a single problem (keep in mind these were for short durations all in one evening:

1. Live TV in HD with HDHR tuner and then with HD-PVR tuner
2. Recorded TV in HD with multiple recordings including h.264 - perfect
3. Ripped DVDs and Blu-Rays - and yes the Blu-Rays played back perfectly.
4. Browsing through large collections with images - this was slower than normal, but not significantly

Last edited by Brent; 08-10-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Sage User

Working great for me! Using a DLink DIR-655 as the N access point.
Totally saved me from having to try and route a hard link through exterior walls, outside the house and back in.

Had trouble getting successful WiFi connection with WPA security so it is running with no security for now. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliams View Post
Had trouble getting successful WiFi connection with WPA security so it is running with no security for now. Anyone else have that problem?
I have WPA2-PSK and it worked fine. When setting up the connection it finds the SSID and then gives a connection error. But then you can go right down and change the settings page to include your wireless security type and enter the key.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Wild curiosity, what if you don't have SSID broadcast enabled?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You can type in the SSID... I think. I'll check tonight. I was testing with a brand-new N router so I had it set to broadcast until I get things all set up nicely.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
There is an option on the "Wireless Configuration: choose an Access Point" menu for "Enter a network name". I do not broadcast my SSID, so I've tested this & it works.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone tried multiple streams at once? I was literally just about to spend a lot of money wiring my house (already spent a little money buying some equipment) but it would be GREAT if it works smoothly.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage Icon

Has anyone tried using it with 5Ghz yet?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
Has anyone tried using it with 5Ghz yet?
I will be testing this tomorrow, or Friday. I bought the recommended wireless adapter, waiting on the extender. My network is 5Ghz N only. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

You should be aware that the supported wireless adapter in the HD200 wireless announcement is 2.4 Ghz only.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You should be aware that the supported wireless adapter in the HD200 wireless announcement is 2.4 Ghz only.
Well... Pants. I guess I should have read the NewEgg description before buying.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Jeff did mention one that *may* work, and supports 5Ghz
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...67&postcount=9
Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post
Well... Pants. I guess I should have read the NewEgg description before buying.
I don't think it's that big of an issue - hasn't been for me at least as I've had two nights of perfect playback on my wireless HD200 using the recommended adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Jeff did mention one that *may* work, and supports 5Ghz
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...67&postcount=9
If all goes well I'll have one of these to test tonight - I'll report back for those who really want the 5Ghz version.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I don't think it's that big of an issue - hasn't been for me at least as I've had two nights of perfect playback on my wireless HD200 using the recommended adapter.

If all goes well I'll have one of these to test tonight - I'll report back for those who really want the 5Ghz version.
I use 5Ghz because there are a large number of 2.4Ghz wireless networks visible from my apartment and when I had 2.4Ghz on I had problems. There are only a couple 5Ghz networks which helps keep the interference to a minimum. Thanks for testing out the Dlink.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post
I use 5Ghz because there are a large number of 2.4Ghz wireless networks visible from my apartment and when I had 2.4Ghz on I had problems. There are only a couple 5Ghz networks which helps keep the interference to a minimum. Thanks for testing out the Dlink.
Since you've already ordered the other one let us know how it works - especially given the interference you have there.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for doing the testing, Brent.

While ultimately all that's important is that the HD200 be able to reliably stream back HD TV and blu-ray, I think it would be interesting to see some quantifiable performance figures. More specifically, are other people able to replicate Sage's 40-50mbps in their environments? If so, under what types of conditions? Basically, it'd be nice to benchmark the wireless adapter's performance. The main idea being that the faster it is, the better it should be able to deal with noisy environments (in theory).

One sort of extra point that I'd be curious about in the review is whether you're using channel bonding. In general, I believe channel bonding is discouraged in the 2.4Ghz band (for interference reasons), and not all 2.4Ghz 802.11n routers support it.

By the way, while 5Ghz is nice because it gets you away from the even more noisy 2.4Ghz band, it does come with a range penalty. 5Ghz signals don't travel through walls, etc., as well as 2.4 Ghz ones do.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Any suggestions on testing the throughput etc on the 2 adapters other than just "it works well on my HD200?" I guess I could use it with my laptop and do some testing that way - anyone have suggestions on this?

In the end, for me its about this:
Does it work consistently in "my" environment for all media types? So far the answer for me has been yes. I detect 8-plus 2.4Ghz WiFi signals blasting in range of my home including 2 from my home during testing. But as with anything wireless, your mileage may vary.