SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Current state of Bluray Audio for HD200

Hi all,

been away for a while (stable setup, no problems in many moons, kids etc). Anyway, just wanted to know what the latest was with outputting TrueHD or DTS-MA via the HD200.

Last I had looked, it seemed like a bitstream solution was definitely not happening, but apparently Jeff had alluded to the fact that decoding to 7.1 LPCM was a possibility.

Any progress on this, or are we still stuck with DD/DTS for BD rips?

cheers,
Dave
Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

It passes the core only.

7.1 PCM is hardware possible, but I believe the licensing (to decode TrueHD/DTS-HD*) is quite expensive...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I figured as much. Is this a prohibitive one-time only cost, or a per-unit sort of thing? Or both, most likely.

I would be very willing to pay $400 for a unit that passed bitstream (or 7.1 decoded LPCM) TruHD and DTS-MA. And I suspect many others would, as well. Certainly there seem to be a number of folks with both the Sage Media Extender and the Popcorn Hour device expressly to get around this limitation.

Anyway, here's hoping that we might see hi-def audio someday via the extender!

cheers,
Dave
Old 08-27-2009, 04:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43 View Post
Yeah, I figured as much. Is this a prohibitive one-time only cost, or a per-unit sort of thing? Or both, most likely.

I would be very willing to pay $400 for a unit that passed bitstream (or 7.1 decoded LPCM) TruHD and DTS-MA. And I suspect many others would, as well. Certainly there seem to be a number of folks with both the Sage Media Extender and the Popcorn Hour device expressly to get around this limitation.

Anyway, here's hoping that we might see hi-def audio someday via the extender!

cheers,
Dave
You CAN get a standalone BluRay player for WAY less than that.. ;-) Also, you should be able to build up a PC client for about that (or less) that will be able to do this.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Or you could just buy the popcorn hour.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You CAN get a standalone BluRay player for WAY less than that.. ;-)
Yeah, I know. Like a lot of people though, I'm trying to eliminate the physical media aspect of movie playback, and I very much like having the library as I do for my standard def DVDs.

Getting the Popcorn Hour is certainly a reasonable solution; it would just be cool to do everything with one device.

As far as BD rips, I'm sure someone can quickly answer this question. I understand that the media extender will extract the core (DD or DTS) for playback. Having not actually made any rips yet, am I correct in assuming that the full resolution TruHD or DTS-MA data is preserved on the rip, if/when the Media Extender supports these formats (or if I go Popcorn Hour)?

cheers,
Dave
Old 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfitz43 View Post
As far as BD rips, I'm sure someone can quickly answer this question. I understand that the media extender will extract the core (DD or DTS) for playback. Having not actually made any rips yet, am I correct in assuming that the full resolution TruHD or DTS-MA data is preserved on the rip, if/when the Media Extender supports these formats (or if I go Popcorn Hour)?
Yup, I don't even touch the audio on my rips, I just leave the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA track and the extender plays the core stream just fine.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Sage Icon

Unless something has changed (havn't checked lately) the DTS core is only available if you have an external amp. My TV's will only play DD tracks via HDMI from the HD200 - not DTS tracks.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, to put it more specifically, the extender will extract and pass the DD/DTS cores as bitstreams, but since it can only decode DD, if you need the extender to do decoding, eg analog, PCM output or your AVR/SSP doesn't support DTS bitstreams, you'll have to get "fancy" and add a DD track to get audio for DTS-HD discs, just like you would with DTS DVDs (though they may be more likely to have a DD track).
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yup, I don't even touch the audio on my rips, I just leave the TrueHD/DTS-HD MA track and the extender plays the core stream just fine.
Hmmmm.... I do not have such luck. I am using HDMI straight to my TV.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM
SageTVaholic

They're probably DTS-HD tracks and your TV can't decode DTS?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:56 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are only getting stereo sound from your tv, you'd be better off transcoding and adding a mixed down stereo audio track (AAC, perhaps) to your rips.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
If you are only getting stereo sound from your tv, you'd be better off transcoding and adding a mixed down stereo audio track (AAC, perhaps) to your rips.
Sounds like a great idea... can you point me to a how to?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Easiest way I have found is this http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/