SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks everyone for all their input. A little of it spooked me, but I am just going to go ahead with the specs I showed a few posts back.

I knew I was forgetting something in the list - thanks, it was 'MEMORY'. I sure wish I could add some more to this aging skull of mine! Going to use this:
CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS2GB667D2 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820145180 I assume that the slowest speed memory wont hurt in my application.

I looked into the Athlon II X4 620. Unfortunately it will cost $70 more because I will lose the combo discount on the mobo and everything costs more here in Canada. Since I can wait for Comskip to do it's thing I'm going to stick with the Athlon II X2 240 Regor. Also power consumption should be lower with the X2.

Re the case and ATX board. I was originally going to go with a huge case and full ATX board. Since it's probably going to be at least 2 years before we have HD, and since hard drives are going to get more dense in that time, I'm going with this more moderate setup for now. If we outgrow it, I'll replace my 7 year old P4 desktop with it, give mine to my wife ( who has an even older machine) and build a big sucker for a server. From what everyone has said this should last us a few years though as a server.

Was glad to hear the 'Kill A Watt" readings. Looks like we should be okay with the Antec 430 watts.

So thanks again for all the tips. It's very reassuring to have this kind of input from people who have built their own! Unless I hear something major in the next few days I am going to order the parts.

Rod

Rod
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
I'm using one of the new Gigabyte MA785 boards and the HD4200 video even with the 9.9 ATI drives was very good but the occasional tearing at 1320x780 60Hz drove me nuts. I dropped in a fanless HD4550 and all was well.

In hindsight I should have bought an SageTV HD Theater digital media extender and put the server in the attic with the antennas.
So then what's the advantage to the 785 board, if you're not using the on- board video? Could I save $50 bucks and buy a 780 board if the inevitablity was that you had to put a HD4550 card in it?

I have always had a soft spot for Arctic Cooler cpu fan's: quiet, variable and cheap, so I'll likely add one of those in place of the stock cpu fan

Last edited by tvmaster2; 09-24-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So then what's the advantage to the 785 board, if you're not using the on- board video? Could I save $50 bucks and buy a 780 board if the inevitablity was that you had to put a HD4550 card in it?
Yes. Though if you're building this for a headless WHS box then there's no reason to have a graphics card at all, other than during the initial setup.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Yes. Though if you're building this for a headless WHS box then there's no reason to have a graphics card at all, other than during the initial setup.
Sorry, my lingo is limited - WHS? What's that stand for?
thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
I am concerned about our future hard drive space requirements.
Sir get a big case, a very big case.
I thought a 10 bay was enough and that was less than a year ago. Now it's full and I'm trying to figure out how to expand in another thread. I full with 1.5 and 1 TB drives.

It's a long sick road of hording and collecting until you have TBs ontop of Tbs of media.

And I do delete stuff.

2xhd300
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry, my lingo is limited - WHS? What's that stand for?
thanks
Windows Home Server

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
Sir get a big case, a very big case.
I thought a 10 bay was enough and that was less than a year ago. Now it's full and I'm trying to figure out how to expand in another thread. I full with 1.5 and 1 TB drives.

It's a long sick road of hording and collecting until you have TBs ontop of Tbs of media.

And I do delete stuff.
He who dies with the most stuff wins??? Well not really. But I do like my toys.

If you are honest with yourself I bet you can delete a ton of stuff. I went through my music collection and cut it by 1/2 just by deleting the stuff from my past I was ashamed to own. Movies and TV. Would you really watch it again. How much stuff is really watch again material and do you even have that much time.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sir I ask politely that you keep that talk to yourself... delete... such a nasty word.

I do delete allot, but we keep 95% movies and a fair ammount of tv. There is barely a few gigs of music on it. Yes we do watch quite allot of it more than once, and it's nice to have favorites on demand. So I'm not complaining. it's the HD stuff that adds up, but I limit most of that to action / war movies.

2xhd300
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Sir I ask politely that you keep that talk to yourself... delete... such a nasty word.

I do delete allot, but we keep 95% movies and a fair ammount of tv. There is barely a few gigs of music on it. Yes we do watch quite allot of it more than once, and it's nice to have favorites on demand. So I'm not complaining. it's the HD stuff that adds up, but I limit most of that to action / war movies.
Curious what size your typical HD movie is? And do you compress at all?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Curious what size your typical HD movie is? And do you compress at all?

Thanks,
Rod
Well a 1 hour tv show at 720p is about 2.6gb
at 1080p it's about 5.6gb
a bluray just the main movie is about 18 - 23gb

I don't compress HD.

2xhd300
Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Well a 1 hour tv show at 720p is about 2.6gb
at 1080p it's about 5.6gb
a bluray just the main movie is about 18 - 23gb

I don't compress HD.
Thanks for the info toony. I guess in a few years when 10 tb drives are the norm there will be some new video standards to consume all that space!

Rod
Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Djc208 - Thanks for the power supply info - was some good reading. Unfortunately here in Canada we have a limited selection compared to in the US. Was a good tip on the UPS. Please see below for my selection of both items.

So here is what I have come up with for the new server:

1. Antec Three Hundred Black steel ATX mid tower Case with Antec BP430 Supply (430 watt). http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-065-_-Product

2. GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128394

3. AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103688

4. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F2EG HD154UI 1.5TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16822152175

5. APC BE550G-CN 330 Watt UPS http://www.apc.com/resource/include/..._sku=BE550G-CN (I recently bought this for our boat but am going to commandeer it for our server instead.)

6. Microsoft Windows Home Server.

So my questions now are:

1. How does this selection look?

2. Should WHS be on it's own hard drive? Hate to dedicate a slot for just a small drive, which is all I would need for the OS.

3. Not sure of number of drives to initially get. Seems like I need one for the OS? Another for media storage, and perhaps a third to backup the media storage and three other computers. Might it be better to have my backups done on external USB drives? At least for the media backups perhaps.

4. Would it be advisable to install a CD/DVD for WHS install? Most of the normal file saving will be done from client PCs.

5. This is my first computer build and I'm wondering if typically all needed cables are provided with the parts I'm buying?

6. Anything else to consider?

Thanks very much for all your input on this project.

Rod

So did you go with the Regor 240 - 2.8ghz processor? If so - happy?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
So did you go with the Regor 240 - 2.8ghz processor? If so - happy?

I just ordered everything a few days ago, including the Regor 240. It will be about a week before it's here - Newegg Canada ships everything here from the States. It will then probably be at least a couple of weeks before I build it and have it up and running due to other commitments. Once it's running I'll post here, and maybe before it is if I need some debug help!

Rod
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I just ordered everything a few days ago, including the Regor 240. It will be about a week before it's here - Newegg Canada ships everything here from the States. It will then probably be at least a couple of weeks before I build it and have it up and running due to other commitments. Once it's running I'll post here, and maybe before it is if I need some debug help!

Rod
SO - how did this work out? It's the Regor I'm the most intereested in hearing about. Was 2.8ghz good enough for what you did?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
SO - how did this work out? It's the Regor I'm the most intereested in hearing about. Was 2.8ghz good enough for what you did?
I finally got the server built and running. Last night I installed WHS on the server and their 'Connector' software on my desktop. So far everything is running fine, but it will be this weekend before I move my PVR350 card over and start to install Sage. Really not sure how long that will take, as unfortunately I have not documented all the extra stuff I did in Sage. This time need to do better in that regard!

As I understand it, Comskip is one of the most CPU intensive tasks I will be doing. I haven't used it before, so I'm sure it will take some time to get it up and running. Then I'll be able to answer your question much better, but really don't know how long that will be. Will post here once I have some definitive answers.

Good luck,
Rod
Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I finally got the server built and running. Last night I installed WHS on the server and their 'Connector' software on my desktop. So far everything is running fine, but it will be this weekend before I move my PVR350 card over and start to install Sage. Really not sure how long that will take, as unfortunately I have not documented all the extra stuff I did in Sage. This time need to do better in that regard!

As I understand it, Comskip is one of the most CPU intensive tasks I will be doing. I haven't used it before, so I'm sure it will take some time to get it up and running. Then I'll be able to answer your question much better, but really don't know how long that will be. Will post here once I have some definitive answers.

Good luck,
Rod
are you doing any HD recording, or just standard def?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
are you doing any HD recording, or just standard def?
Presently just SD. Plan to have HD in 2-3 years. My understanding from other posters is the HDPVR uses very little CPU. But in that length of time who knows what I might use for HD. Also I'm using extenders - an HD100 & HD200 that do all the heavy lifting.

Rod
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
I'm using one of the new Gigabyte MA785 boards and the HD4200 video even with the 9.9 ATI drives was very good but the occasional tearing at 1320x780 60Hz drove me nuts. I dropped in a fanless HD4550 and all was well.

In hindsight I should have bought an SageTV HD Theater digital media extender and put the server in the attic with the antennas.
question about your MB - I too just picked up one of the gigabyte 785 boards, and am having driver troubles.
How are you running audio? My plan was to have 2-channel from the HDMI cable, and 5.1 from the optical out. At the moment, I only got that to work once, for about 5 minutes. Between Sage and the many versions of Realtek / ATI drivers, I haven't been able to make this work.
What are your codecs in Sage, audio and video, as well as Gigabyte driver versions, and do you have audio working well?

Also, what OS are you running.

thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
question about your MB - I too just picked up one of the gigabyte 785 boards, and am having driver troubles.
How are you running audio? My plan was to have 2-channel from the HDMI cable, and 5.1 from the optical out. At the moment, I only got that to work once, for about 5 minutes. Between Sage and the many versions of Realtek / ATI drivers, I haven't been able to make this work.
What are your codecs in Sage, audio and video, as well as Gigabyte driver versions, and do you have audio working well?

Also, what OS are you running.

thanks
Cant help you for several reasons:

1. I have been too busy the last couple of weeks to spend any time on this project. I'm finally back at it now.

2. I'm using Windows Home Server as an OS. It is installed and running on the new computer and that is the only thing installed at this moment. WHS is designed to be run as a "Headless Server".

3. My output will be from 2 extenders only. An HD100 & an HD 200. I am hoping that drivers and codecs are not an issue since the extenders will be doing the decoding.

4. I wont be using the HDMI - it just happened to come with the MOBO.

So sorry I cant be of any help to you, but I sure do wish you luck in solving your problems. Perhaps some of those here much savvier than I will have some ideas.

For those wanting to follow my progress, I have been posting and getting helpful responses on another thread that's about moving Sage to another computer. It's here in the Software Forum: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...262#post388262

Thanks again to everybody here that helped me with the build.

Rod
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

It Works!!!

I have Sage running on the new Server. I copied a lot of my settings over by copying my old Sage folder on top of the WHS Sage folder as suggested in the thread I mentioned in my last post. I still have some odds and ends to do including moving old recordings over, but thus far I am very happy. My first computer build and it's doing its thing!

Later I'll install Comskip and let you folks know how it runs on this server.

Thanks again to everybody here for all their great help with this build!

Rod