SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Sage User

ENUWI-N trouble

I just got my HD200 today. I don't want to run cable through my apartment, so I got the Enwin ENUWI-N to connect wirelessly to my D-Link DIR-655. Unfortunately I'm having issues connecting. The HD200 came with a firmware from 2008, so I brought it into my office and wired it to my router so I could update the firmware. It's using the 20090903 0 or something. Whatever the latest version is.

Any time I try to connect wirelessly, I get the "wireless access point connection has timed out" error. The adapter detects available networks, so it appears to be functioning properly. The HD200 works fine with a wired connection, and I even got it working with my WHS system, so I can't deduce the issue to either device. My router is still a suspect, but it appears that the adapter can't even attempt to connect, as it simply times out.

An Amazon reviewer of the adapter says it connected to their DIR-655 just fine. I'm at a loss now. I don't know what else to try. I just need to get it to stop timing out.

Do I need to downgrade the firmware to this one?

Last edited by GJSNeptune; 09-24-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Sage User

I connected the ENUWI-N to my main computer and disabled the LAN connection. The adapter works fine, so there's something wrong with the HD200. Should I try a firmware downgrade?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey GJ,

Try a few things before returning the HD200. First, I'm wondering if your network security is not connecting. Do you have upper and lower case letters in your security password (I don't know if you are using WEP or WPA). This happened to me, because entering the WPA key from the remote, you can only enter upper case letters. My WPA key was mostly lower case. Your router log file should tell you if you are getting access issues.

Second thing to try is make the IP address static. You will have to reserve the IP address on the router and configure the setup in the HD200 (it is actually pretty easy). I've got two HD200s running with the wireless connection. Where it is not the level I would hope, it is still a lot better than plan b (which was to configure a wireless bridge to a access point on each HD200 unit).

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Joe.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanjoe View Post
This happened to me, because entering the WPA key from the remote, you can only enter upper case letters. My WPA key was mostly lower case. Your router log file should tell you if you are getting access issues.

Joe.
Use the "Guide" button on the remote to switch between upper case and lower case. I believe the number 1 is also the key for various symbols including \,/, ?,", etc. Keep pressing the number 1 until you reach the symbol you need.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Also take a look at your encryption type. I am not certain the firmware supports WPA2 AES (unfortunately)

B
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Sage User

The key contains lowercase letters, which I entered. My router security is set to auto (WPA or WPA2), which should allow any device that supports either or both to connect. I'll mess with it tonight after work. But even with no security enabled, the HD200 times out when I try to enable the wireless connection, so there's something happening before my router is involved.

The IP is static, but it doesn't matter when I try to enable the wireless connection. It works fine when wired, but since it can't configure a wireless connection, the IP when wireless is enabled remains 0.0.0.0. It seems like the HD200 can't properly utilize the wireless adapter to make a connection.

I'll check the router log, but I'm expecting it not to list any connection issues, since it seems like the HD200 isn't able to even attempt a connection.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:31 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're willing to try this. Set your wireless security to disabled and then pull the power on the HD200. My encryption setup made it difficult to connect.

B
Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Sage User

I've already tried it with no security enabled.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Connect a USB keyboard to the HD200 to ensure there are no mistypes or Upper/lower case problems.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSNeptune View Post
I've already tried it with no security enabled.
Did you hard power cycle the HD200? Mine didn't work until I did.

B
Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm wondering if your firewall on your router isn't blocking the port. I know that I had to add a NAT on my router for the HD200, but I'm at work and can't tell you the ports I opened. I'm sure someone can tell me if I am full of it.

Good Luck!

I know how frustrating it is!

Joe.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Connect a USB keyboard to the HD200 to ensure there are no mistypes or Upper/lower case problems.

Gerry
I will when I mess with it at home again, but I entered it correctly. I entered it like ten times last night, very slowly and carefully. I even deleted the key and made it shorter and easier to punch in, but the connection attempt times out, so I don't think it ever gets to check the credentials anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Did you hard power cycle the HD200? Mine didn't work until I did.

B
Not sure. I powered it off and removed the AC plenty of times. If it'll only work with no security enabled, I'm not using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanjoe View Post
I'm wondering if your firewall on your router isn't blocking the port. I know that I had to add a NAT on my router for the HD200, but I'm at work and can't tell you the ports I opened. I'm sure someone can tell me if I am full of it.

Good Luck!

I know how frustrating it is!

Joe.
It's possible. I didn't do anything with ports on the router.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Not sure. I powered it off and removed the AC plenty of times. If it'll only work with no security enabled, I'm not using it.
It supports security, but not WPA2. It's good to start tests though at the basics. No security, if it works add it back in. If it doesn't contact SageTV support for more help.

B
Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Sage User

Then I'll try WPA Only mode, but I hope future firmware will support WPA2, because I'd rather have it on WPA2 Only.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Use the "Guide" button on the remote to switch between upper case and lower case.
BTW: I think that's for SageMC. The STVs from SageTV use Pause to change case, just like the NTE icon in the upper right corner indicates.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
BTW: I think that's for SageMC. The STVs from SageTV use Pause to change case, just like the NTE icon in the upper right corner indicates.

- Andy
The ABC 1234 or whatever button in the lower right also does it. Hit it twice to switch from CAPS to lowercase.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The ABC 1234 or whatever button in the lower right also does it. Hit it twice to switch from CAPS to lowercase.
That too. I forgot the included remote had a dedicated button for it to make it less confusing -- it replicates the pause button. (I already knew you had no problem w/changing case; just wanted to mention it due to the previous post about using Guide.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Sage User

I don't know why I didn't think about connecting a keyboard last night. Would've saved me a lot of time.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Sage User

Would the HD200's system information show its version of Ralink's adapter driver? My Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit came with 3.0.1.0. The latest (for Win7) is 3.0.3.0, but I didn't have to install any drivers for the adapter to work on my main computer.

I can try WPA Only mode, but it times out even with no security, so I have to blame the HD200. Is there any way to update the Ralink driver on the HD200 via a flash drive?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Sage

Another thing to try is to check to make sure your router isn't set to only the 5GHz band. The adapter only supports 2.4GHz mode....although I'd think it wouldn't even be able to see it if that was the case.

If you're still having issues; please submit a support request.