SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Sage Expert

Do you ever reinstall Sage or your sage server (playback lockups)?

My sage has been really acting poorly for the past few weeks. Restarting the service or the server hasn't really helped. CPU & memory usage hasn't been high on the server at all, but playing back recordings have caused clients to lock up pretty frequently. This has happened on all of my clients (mediaMVPs, HD100, and PC clients).
I'm getting lockups whether I watch HD or SD recordings.

Also one of my tuners has been disappearing from sage a couple of times. (It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, but i have removed that tuner and problems still persist)

My wiz.bin is only 45meg.

My plan is to simply move all the recordings I want to keep into an archive folder, remove sage completely and reinstall sage. I've had this setup running for over 2 years - probably longer - so a refresh is probably not a bad idea. Up until recently, sage was very stable and never had any of these problems.

(Yes, my recording drive is formatted w/ 64k clusters.)

If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to hear them, but doing the reinstall isn't that big of deal to me really. I'll back up my recording schedule so I can readd everything. This will give me an opportunity to start fresh again.

I wish I would've done this a few weeks ago, before the new TV season started, but I still have my DirecTV HD DVR to use while I get this fixed.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Sage Icon

Sage service mode here on XP Pro runs 24x7 for years. Same Wiz.bin all the while.

Two PC clients, two MVPs.
Standard Def.
PC that is used for Sage and home automation/web server. Never email/web surfing.

I have upgraded PC speed/memory once by choice.

It works and I don't diddle with it. I do diddle/fiddle with PC client UI.
Sage 6.2

Last edited by stevech; 09-28-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

My setup is running for years as well without any significant issue. Reinstalling the whole thing seems a rather drastic approach and you may end up running into the same problems you are experiencing now if you do not get down to the actual issue.

I would probably start upgrading java to the most recent version first. You can also increase the java heap size since you are saying your server does not use a lot of memory, yet you seem to have numerous clients. It may be just running out of memory for java.

All in all, I would look at the server and its CPU/memory/network usage closely before making any drastic change.

Thomas
Old 09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Sage Expert

My Sage Setup worked great for 1 year and then my HDHR stopped showing up as a tuner. Here's t he procedure I used to "reinstall" and everythign started workign again....it can't hurt to try this first.

1) Backed up Entire SageTV folder.
2) Completely uninstalled Sage and deleted the folder.
3) Reinstalled SageTV.
4) Stopped SageTV Service.
5) Applied the latest native recording patch.
6) ONLY EXTRACTED SageMC 6.3.9b_2, Jetty, Batch MetaData latest phoenix jar files (IN THIS ORDER).
7) copied over wiz.bin, wiz.bak and sage.properties. They retain all data for favorites and recordings and also settings.
8) Modified Jetty.properties for static IP address and port (I also run Sage Webserver).
8) Made sure SageTV service starts under Administrator and not LOCALSYSTEM and started SageTV service.
9) Fired up SageTV server. All settings present.
10) Applied the latest STV update. Installed SageMC 6.3.9b_2 and then BMT.
11) Went about configuring SageMC with the usual settings.
12) Everything is working fine.

Should take about 30 minutes to accomplish. Alos, I have to give props to "big_poppa_pump" for this detailed information that saved my ass.

Last edited by Beefcake550; 09-29-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: give props.....
Old 09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nice list... very helpful. Over the past year, I have made some manual tweaks to sage.properties. But I am concerned that there is a mess in there due to version changes, abandoned plugins , etc.

I see you moved your properties forward. Thoughts on my concern?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Sage Expert

Thoughts....it's worth trying with the backed up sage.properties while saving the new original as a backup.

You'll have to reapply any tweaks, channel listings, etc.

You'll waste very little time if it didn't work out for you.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
playing back recordings have caused clients to lock up pretty frequently. This has happened on all of my clients (mediaMVPs, HD100, and PC clients).
I've recently experienced a similar problem. The System Event log on the server showed disk errors. I ran a utility to scan the drive and lock out bad sectors and that eliminated the lockups for a couple weeks. But the lockups are creeping back and there are new disk errors in the logs. Nothing to do now but replace the hard drive. I also experienced the HDHR's not being available but didn't explore that problem. It only happened a few times and seems to have resolved itself ?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGannon View Post
I've recently experienced a similar problem. The System Event log on the server showed disk errors. I ran a utility to scan the drive and lock out bad sectors and that eliminated the lockups for a couple weeks. But the lockups are creeping back and there are new disk errors in the logs. Nothing to do now but replace the hard drive. I also experienced the HDHR's not being available but didn't explore that problem. It only happened a few times and seems to have resolved itself ?
The problem is something to do with my HD Homerun.
It might be an antenna, cabling or splitter issue. I'm working with silicon dust on it now.

yeah, a complete reinstall is drastic, but it gave me a good excuse to clean up tons of old recordings. I copied the important ones off, but it was a great way to reclaim a bunch of space.