SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Sage Icon

Perhaps it will work in some situations. Maybe the fact that you installed the QAM tuner drivers first, then the HD-PVR and then installed the IR software made the difference. I'll change the wording again in the first post to not be so strong.

Please keep us informed if things stop working however.

Thanks!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
My solution was to follow the directions in this thread. Uninstall SageTV, uninstall the IR Blaster, WinTV scheduler, and HD-PVR driver. I then ran the HCW Clear and rebooted.

I loaded the latest driver for the HVR-1600 first. I loaded the latest driver for the HD-PVR next, followed by the scheduler, IR Blaster setup, IR remote programs. Last I reloaded SageTV. (basically, I loaded any/all other tuners before loading the HD-PVR and the IR Blaster software.)
I may try this also. I initially got the HDPVR to work when I installed it for the very first time, the PVR150's were all ready installed on the system. I ran into issues with what I believed to be the blaster because the blaster would transmit but the moto box wouldn't pick it up. I figured it was a software configuration but after I ran the OP's instructions I was running into the same issue, with out the PVR150 drivers installed.

"The HDPVR blaster would send the signal but the box wouldn't pick it up"
Turns out that the hauppage blaster is really weak, and I mean really weak. It has to be placed almost directly on the moto box for me.

So currently I have the HDPVR working and recording pretty controlled through the exemultituner plugin and the sd box controlled through the USBUIRT(which doesn't have zone control according to the serial number). The 1394 is fairly good but I have noticed it will switch to the music channels if it records the same channel in a row for some reason, so I want to get the hauppage blaster working again.

I am going to try the hwclear, PVR150 driver install, then the HDPVR driver, then the 3 hauppage programs, and finally sageTV like UGdata did. This seems to have worked the time when I first installed the HDPVR, I just didn't have the blaster lined up correctly.

Then of course I will have to fight with the nodata epg, ah the bleeding edge of tech.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am confused (happens alot).

I thought that the HD-PVR IR blaster wouldn't work if you had more than one Hauppauge card installed? Then I read a couple of posts here contradicting that. So does anybody have an IR blaster working from an HD-PVR with multiple Hauppauge capture devices?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdcknsn View Post
I am confused (happens alot).

I thought that the HD-PVR IR blaster wouldn't work if you had more than one Hauppauge card installed? Then I read a couple of posts here contradicting that. So does anybody have an IR blaster working from an HD-PVR with multiple Hauppauge capture devices?
That is what I have always understood, but UgaData seems to have gotten the Hauppauge blaster to work with a HVR-1600. So I guess it is one of those situations where you can never say "never"

I'd love to hear more success stories of people getting it to work with other Hauppauge tuners. I know I've heard about a lot of failures, but perhaps there is an order of installation that CAN make it all work nicely together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
I found this thread looking for something about istalling the HD-PVR and another Hauppauge tuner and was still able to use the IR Blaster.

I have 2 Motorola DCH-3200s, one uses firewire for tuning and capture, the other has an HD-PVR using the Hauppauge IR Blaster.

I ran into problems when I added an HVR-1600 for QAM. Everything seemed to work OK until I tried tuning a channel on the HD-PVR. It would record just fine but it wouldn't change the channel.

My solution was to follow the directions in this thread. Uninstall SageTV, uninstall the IR Blaster, WinTV scheduler, and HD-PVR driver. I then ran the HCW Clear and rebooted.

I loaded the latest driver for the HVR-1600 first. I loaded the latest driver for the HD-PVR next, followed by the scheduler, IR Blaster setup, IR remote programs. Last I reloaded SageTV. (basically, I loaded any/all other tuners before loading the HD-PVR and the IR Blaster software.)

All 3 sources are currently working as expected. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something from the quote. It could also be that I got lucky and the Blaster won't continue working after a day or so.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Sage Icon

FYI - I'm still planning on adding pictures to the instructions. I've just been a little too busy to get it done. Hopefully I can add them soon. Sorry for the delay.
OpenDCT
Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

It's not that the IR drivers won't work if you have multiple cards. You can't specifiy what card it will work on. So if you have a HD-PVR and a HVR2250 and you want to use the IR on the HD-PVR it may not work. But it can be working on the HVR2250. So you may need to plug the blaster into all the cards to see which one it is working on and configure it from there.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, that makes sense. If I get some time tonight I'll give this a shot and see what I can get going. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
It's not that the IR drivers won't work if you have multiple cards. You can't specifiy what card it will work on. So if you have a HD-PVR and a HVR2250 and you want to use the IR on the HD-PVR it may not work. But it can be working on the HVR2250. So you may need to plug the blaster into all the cards to see which one it is working on and configure it from there.

Gerry
Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Sage Expert

the uninstall sagetv->HWclear->restart->install PVR150 drivers->restart->install HD PVR drivers->restart->install 3 hauppage programs(PVR scheduler, IR drivers, IRblast)->restart->then install sagetv

seems to work so far. Its black magic working with the hauppage cards but I am learning a little bit on how to trick it and some of their software works and what it breaks.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have no problem getting the IR on the HD-PVR working from Sage but its not stable. It will work for a day, a week, a month, or so, and then just stop tuning.

The HD-PVR still records but Sage can't make it tune the STB. The Hauppaugge IR app still works though. I have to stop Sage and sometimes turn off the HD-PVR. (Thinking about it, i probably only need to unplug/replug the usb so that the driver stops and restarts.)

Is everyone who follow the OP's steps seeing IR stable for more than a month?

Thanks,
Pez
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Sage Icon

On my original machine, I had my set up rock solid. I found myself checking it if the machine had rebooted for some reason (which was rare), but even then it generally worked without any issues.

My new setup with the new WHS machine hasn't been quite as stable. For example, the HD-PVR locked up last night. But I suspect that was due to heat issues - I found a piece of paper laying on my DishSTB covering up the vent holes. That was causing it to run hotter than normal (if that is even possible ) and the HD-PVR is near the STB and could easily been affected.

But your point is very valid. It seems like getting the built in blaster to consistantly work takes a little luck sometimes. I haven't had my new set up running long enough to be able to comment yet, but I am very open to hearing other people's experiences.

Hopefully working together we can get something that works consistently.
OpenDCT
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Sage Expert

Turn your HDPVR on its side.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Do you mean removing the HD-PVR as a source in SageTV and then adding it back in as a source in SageTV? I'm just trying to figure out exactly what you are referring too.

Thanks,
Sorry for the delayed response.
The Thing I'm referring to in SageTV is when you uninstall Sage and then reinstall it, the config is still kept. Which for the most part is a good thing.

But, when you install the PVR again you need to make sure you remove the source and add it again. It seems to be that that SageTV doesn't grab all the parts of the driver to make it work. Until you make a new source.

Plus, I changed the permissions on the SageTV folder, not sure if that made a difference or not, but it might be something to add to the Tutorial.

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
On my original machine, I had my set up rock solid. I found myself checking it if the machine had rebooted for some reason (which was rare), but even then it generally worked without any issues.

My new setup with the new WHS machine hasn't been quite as stable. For example, the HD-PVR locked up last night. But I suspect that was due to heat issues - I found a piece of paper laying on my DishSTB covering up the vent holes. That was causing it to run hotter than normal (if that is even possible ) and the HD-PVR is near the STB and could easily been affected.

But your point is very valid. It seems like getting the built in blaster to consistantly work takes a little luck sometimes. I haven't had my new set up running long enough to be able to comment yet, but I am very open to hearing other people's experiences.

Hopefully working together we can get something that works consistently.
I guess I should note that by switching back to the HD-PVR 1.5.0.301 drivers, my WHS setup is rock solid again. When I rebuilt my machine, I experimented with some of the newer drivers and got lockups. Going back to the older driver (which was also the version I was using on my previous XP Pro setup which was also sable) made all the difference in the world.
OpenDCT
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Sage User

Multiple hauppagge tuners works fine with irBlaster

Posted this to the wrong thread...
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...3&postcount=40

I have it working with 3 hauppagge devices. irBlaster is dumb and will try to use ONLY the MOST RECENT INSTALLED hauppage device. EVEN if they don't have IR blaster hardware.

I have HD-PVR, HVR850 and HVR950q. Simply manually select 'remove drivers' from device manager properties page and reboot. That's it. Windows will auto-install the drivers after reboot and sage worked fine. No other reinstalls for me.

A simple test to confirm this is your issue? For me, USB devices, just unplug the other tuners except the one you would like to use. irBlaster will say No HW found... stupid sw.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Smile

A million thank YOU for putting this together and with the nice pictures for reference.

My new HD PVR was crashing SageTV until I followed all of the steps you outlined.

Fantastic JOB!

Last edited by joe123; 01-04-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

I've updated the first post with the link to the older 1.0.5.301 drivers. I've also updated the directions strongly urging people to try the older drivers first.
OpenDCT
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage User

I also can't get the HDPVR IR Blaster to work consistently. After a few days to a week it will simply stop working through Sage until I restart the computer and power cycle the HDPVR.

Anyone else have any leads on what may be causing this?

MeinMaui - SageMC ** stuckless - Phoenix & BMT ** PLUCKYHD - Sage Movie Wall ** razrsharpe - TVExplorer ** Slugger - SJQ, SRE and SageAlert ** bialio - Advanced Mini Guide
Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdodge View Post
I also can't get the HDPVR IR Blaster to work consistently. After a few days to a week it will simply stop working through Sage until I restart the computer and power cycle the HDPVR.

I am one of the few that the HD PVR IR blaster worked perfectly from day one.

I have noticed that if I play with the "BlastCFG" program that comes with the HD PVR, that this will lock-up SageTV from being able to use the HD-PVR IR blaster.

Make sure you are not using any other IR program manually once SageTV is running.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdodge View Post

When the IR is locked up next time, open the BlastCFG program and see if the IR blaster is found. Look at the lower right corner and see if the hardware is listed.
OpenDCT
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post
I have no problem getting the IR on the HD-PVR working from Sage but its not stable. It will work for a day, a week, a month, or so, and then just stop tuning.

The HD-PVR still records but Sage can't make it tune the STB. The Hauppaugge IR app still works though. I have to stop Sage and sometimes turn off the HD-PVR. (Thinking about it, i probably only need to unplug/replug the usb so that the driver stops and restarts.)

Is everyone who follow the OP's steps seeing IR stable for more than a month?

Thanks,
Pez
Pez,

Looks like you're having the same IR Blaster issue that I was having. So far, it appears to be a reboot / hardware initialization issue on my PC. If my PC gets powered off, shutdown, or just rebooted, sometimes the IR Blaster will not work on next boot. If I have to take the machine down for any reason, when it comes up 1) make sure the HD PVR is behaving as a USB device and 2) unplug then replug the IR Blaster then make sure it is working in BlastCFG then start SageTV and make sure it can tune.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming