SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Sage User

To upgrade or not to upgrade

First of all, I would like to thank sagetv and anyone that helped me in the past in this forum. I have a dilemma and did not want to hijack another thread that I found while searching.

I've been running amazingly steady for over a year now, and have not upgraded since 6.5.9 beta. I have a pair of 2250s working harder than my tivo ever did. On mondays, I record 12 HD OTA shows in a three hour span without a hiccup (well fox has been losing signal momentary a couple of times an hour since DTV change over). I may be lucky but sage just works for me and don't even get me started about the H200 and placeshifter.

Now my question, should I upgrade to the latest version? It would be nice to have closed captions and the system error feature. Has any one with a stable system wished the left it alone? I have several ghost images that will allow me to be back to my current setup, but is it worth the time? I realize that you guys can't decide for me, but I would value your comments. The Wife Factor is petty high and did I mention the H200.

Also, keep in mind in your comments, that I use my server as a client and the 4850e and 780g display HD almost as good as the built-in tuner on the TV and slightly better than the H200.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Sage Icon

I am on version 6.6.2.218, and it is stable.

You could take an image of your C drive before the upgrade. Then you can try the new version. If things don't work out, you can easily recover back. If you should have imaging software, but if you don't then you could use PING, Partition Image is Not Ghost, if you don't want to purchase the imaging software.

Dave
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Sage User

Thank you Dave. Have you experienced any of the issues that I've been reading about (first 5 minutes of a show missing, captions stuck on H200, etc). If yes, please point me to the thread. Also, I never upgraded the drives on my 2250 (using cd drives because they worked). Did you upgrade the 2250drivers? Did the drives made it better, worst or the same?

Max
Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

I haven't been missing the first five minutes of programs. I updated the 2250 to the current drivers at the time I installed it about 2 months ago. I have had problems with the HD-PVR, which were fixed by not using the HD-PVR IR blaster and using the USB-UIRT IR blaster instead. I don't use closed caption. I can try using closed caption to find out if that works. I did have one issue today with the HD-200 freezing on the SageTV logo screen when getting Comskip setup. I was able to fix that problem by resetting the HD-200 with files on a USB jump drive.

Dave
Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I run darn near every version Sage ever releases, that said. If there's nothing new in 6.6 (and IIRC there isn't a lot new) that you want, and you happy with your current stability, well if it ain't broke.

Of course you could always image your OS/SageTV install drive, upgrade and if it's whacked you can restore the image in a matter of minutes.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably try it over a long weekend and post my results. Dave, if you can let me know about closed captions, particularly if its only on the H200 or clients as well.

Max