SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 AM
SageTVaholic

How to shorten a string?

Is there a java string method available that shortens a string to some maximum specified length?

Also, where can I find a list of java methods available so I do not have to ask these silly questions?

Thanks,

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 AM
SageTVaholic

you can use string.substring(0,n) to return the first n characters from the string. I've actually found this a very handy page for processing strings in ANY language.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
you can use string.substring(0,n) to return the first n characters from the string. I've actually found this a very handy page for processing strings in ANY language.
As FUZZY said substring

Google and yahoo search help me allot I have searched them many time for java code examples

Also sun has great resources

I will shoot you a email with other links I use that could be helpful to you
Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Also, where can I find a list of java methods available so I do not have to ask these silly questions?
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/
Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 AM
SageTVaholic

OK, thanks. Now I have lots of new toys to play with

What syntax do I use to use these APIs in Studio?

Looking at the substring() method it uses examples like: "hamburger".substring(0,n).

I'm assuming in Studio I need java_lang_String_substring() but substring only accepts 2 parameters (start,end). Where do I specify the string?

Thanks,

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
What syntax do I use to use these APIs in Studio?

Looking at the substring() method it uses examples like: "hamburger".substring(0,n).

I'm assuming in Studio I need java_lang_String_substring() but substring only accepts 2 parameters (start,end). Where do I specify the string?
See "Using java Code" on page 152 of the Studio PDF manual.

I would usually say the default STV has java examples, but in this case, you might as well use the SageTV API call: Substring(). You can also use Size() to get the length of the string.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

DOH! I didn't even notice there was s Sage API for it. It just shows you that what my wife says about me is true