SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

What is your JVM's max heap size setting?
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

I got it running in jetty and it seems to be working perfectly now. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
The installer will not run the web interface in Jetty. That will install it with its own embedded server that must be on a different port than Jetty. To run in Jetty you need to remove the one you just installed then download the zip file that's built for running it on Jetty and extract it to the SageTV directory.

Get that working before trying to fix the Chrome issue. I'm able to run it fine on Chrome.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Sage Icon

JVM heap size is 768 MB.

S
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Question How the heck did I accidentally make it all work with SSH? :)

Okay, I'm trying to figure out what I did to make SSH work. However something doesnt make sense.

This is what I did:

Replaced JettyStarter.properties with the default one and only changed the default port to 8380. I did NOTHING else.

Then, I stopped the sageTV service, exited sageTV.exe from memory and installed SageWebserverSetup_2_25.exe. I let it use my existing realms file to keep my username/passwords. I also unchecked all the checkboxes except for the top one to just add port 8090 to my sageTV.properties file.

Port 8090 used to be the port I used for neilm's ssh port.

Then, started sageTVservice and sageTV.exe. I had an old bookmark/favorite to my old https neilm webserver and just clicked it expecting it to of course not work since SSH wasn't even defined in Jetty.

Guess what? I am not in the webserver with SSH using my old ssh certificate. What the heck??? I double checked to make sure I didnt install an old non-jetty version of the websever, but its definitely the latest one... and just used https without any issues AND without any SSH stuff defined in the JettyStarter.properties file.

I'm glad everything seems to be working. But, what's going on? Whats the SSH stuff in the JettyStarter.properties file for then?

Thanks!
Michael

Quote:
Let's forget about the SSL for now and get a normal connection to work. To do that, remove jetty-ssl.xml from the jetty.configfiles line in JettyStarter.properties.

Make sure SageTV is stopped, then delete all the directories (but not the war files) in jetty/webapps. Jetty will recreate the directories from the war files when it starts.

Enable SageTV debug logging and enable the DEBUG line in JettyStarter.properties.

Start up SageTV and try to go to http://server:8380/bmt. If it fails, look in the SageTV debug log as well as the most recent file in the jetty/logs folder.

I noticed you've been using 'localhost' in the URL, you might try the machine's IP instead.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

You installed the old standalone version of Nielms webserver. The Jetty version does not have an .exe installer just a .zip file.

S
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Exclamation

EDIT: UPDATE... thank you, now I can get it using Jetty (without SSH)

Using:
http://localhost:8380/sage/home

However, all the username/passwords defined in realms is now ignored (see below example). How can I tell the jetty version of the websever to have an admin username/password and a guest account which has access to everything, but it's read only.

The new realms file for jetty looks completely different with:
<username>: <password>,<rolename>
sage: frey,user

However, I'm not sure if there's a read-only role such as "guest" instead of user. How would I set this up in jetty? Is there an easy documentian webpage which explains how to setup a full access, read-only username,pasword for jetty?

(What I used to have in the neilms websever realms file)
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/Command,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/AiringCommand,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ManualRecord,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ResolveConflict,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/TimedRecord,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/MediaFileCommand,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/ForceEpgUpdate,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/EditShowInfo,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/EncodeCommand,admin:letmein
SageTV Web Actions=/sage/FavoriteCommand,admin:letmein

# Admin user access to info screens
SageTV Web Actions=/sage,admin:letmein
# Guest user acess to normal screens
SageTV Web Interface=/sage,guest:guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
You installed the old standalone version of Nielms webserver. The Jetty version does not have an .exe installer just a .zip file.

S

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 10-05-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Question Read-only access in Jetty webserver

Okay, went through a quick beginners jetty crash course and got everything up and running BMT, jetty webserver, self-signed ssh certificate for Jetty, and a couple of standard usernames/passwords

However, here's the big Jetty Webserver question of the day:

How do I setup a guest account that can access all parts of the sageTV webserver (ie,TV recordings, favorites, guide, etc)... with read-only access in Jetty? I used to be able to do this using the old webserver (shown in my previous post above).

I found something in one of my google searches which looked really promising:

guest: guest,read-only

However, it produced the below error. I'm sure this will be asked over and over again in the future to come.. so might as well have it documented sooner rather than later (at least searchable in this thread).

HTTP ERROR 403

Problem accessing /sage/home. Reason:
User not in required rolePowered by Jetty://

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Sage Icon

@mkanet I believe you mean SSL, not SSH. SSH is like telnet only encrypted.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Okay, went through a quick beginners jetty crash course and got everything up and running BMT, jetty webserver, self-signed ssh certificate for Jetty, and a couple of standard usernames/passwords

However, here's the big Jetty Webserver question of the day:

How do I setup a guest account that can access all parts of the sageTV webserver (ie,TV recordings, favorites, guide, etc)... with read-only access in Jetty? I used to be able to do this using the old webserver (shown in my previous post above).

I found something in one of my google searches which looked really promising:

guest: guest,read-only

However, it produced the below error. I'm sure this will be asked over and over again in the future to come.. so might as well have it documented sooner rather than later (at least searchable in this thread).

HTTP ERROR 403

Problem accessing /sage/home. Reason:
User not in required rolePowered by Jetty://
Good question. There are a few things that are different between TJWS and Jetty. This is one of them. I haven't posted a list to the wiki, perhaps a side-by-side table would be helpful.

Before putting in the time to fill in the gaps, I want to see which ones are most missed by users.

Jetty is very configurable, but mainly for the app developer and not so much for the end user. For this feature, I could add the 'admin' command urls to the app and associate them with a role name. You would then associate that role with the users you configure in the jetty/etc/realm.properties file.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Ohoh... I was hoping that this was a limitation of my ability to figure out how to do it, not a limitation of the plugin!

If you add the 'admin' command urls to the app and associate them with a role name, would that mean that everything else thats not explicitly defined would default to read-only (cannot add, modify, delete)? Maybe I didn't understand you right.

Anyway, I'm surprised there's no general read-only functionality for jetty apps. It would be nice to have read-only permissions for BMT as well.

Is there anyway at all for the user to do it through the realms.properties file at all or some kind of clever workaround? I REALLY would like to do this; as this is the ONLY limitation that I have found upgrading to the jetty version. Everything else works just like it used to as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Good question. There are a few things that are different between TJWS and Jetty. This is one of them. I haven't posted a list to the wiki, perhaps a side-by-side table would be helpful.

Before putting in the time to fill in the gaps, I want to see which ones are most missed by users.

Jetty is very configurable, but mainly for the app developer and not so much for the end user. For this feature, I could add the 'admin' command urls to the app and associate them with a role name. You would then associate that role with the users you configure in the jetty/etc/realm.properties file.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
SageTVaholic

LOL... believe it or not, I was playing with my SSH client today...Tunelier while I was writing that post. I totally didnt catch that! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
@mkanet I believe you mean SSL, not SSH. SSH is like telnet only encrypted.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any reason why I cannot run both Nielm's old web server and the new jetty version, at least until I become comfortable with the new jetty version?

I run several other jetty apps such as SageMobileWeb, SRE, SJQ, SageAlert so can I just through these new files in my jetty folder?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm curious once you get the jetty version going.. what is there thats different beside the issue with not being able to define read-only guest accounts? Everything looks identical to me... the only thing that's different is it seems to be a little bit faster in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Is there any reason why I cannot run both Nielm's old web server and the new jetty version, at least until I become comfortable with the new jetty version?

I run several other jetty apps such as SageMobileWeb, SRE, SJQ, SageAlert so can I just through these new files in my jetty folder?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Does that mean that I can run both Web apps concurrently? May I suggest that a new thread be started that just starts with the launch of the Jetty version and that the old thread point folks to this version. It might be more helpful than having a 2400+ post thread as this one has become!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post

I run both with no problem.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

I hate to show my ignorance, but what is the benefit to using Jetty?
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
  • multiple web apps (sage job queue, sage recording extender, sage alert, bmt, mobile web interface, nielms web interface, etc) all running within a single webserver.
  • hot deployable (no need to shutdown sagetv to upgrade web apps)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
SageTVaholic

In respect to his sageTV web interface, the main advantage would be you wont have to bloat sageTV by loading a second java webserver into memory if jetty is already serving other addons like BMT.

The next benefit would be that you dont have to restart sageTV every time you want to install or update a new jetty-based app.

I'm sure there are many more benefits to using jetty that others here might mention. I honestly cant tell the difference with the jetty version and the original version running side by side; except the jetty version seems to be a little bit faster; especially when loading complex html pages filled with small bitmapped images such as a gigantic guide with many, MANY channel logos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post

***RIP SageTV***
Old 10-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ohoh... I was hoping that this was a limitation of my ability to figure out how to do it, not a limitation of the plugin!

If you add the 'admin' command urls to the app and associate them with a role name, would that mean that everything else thats not explicitly defined would default to read-only (cannot add, modify, delete)? Maybe I didn't understand you right.
I believe it would default to read-only but I haven't tried that specific case.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm surprised there's no general read-only functionality for jetty apps. It would be nice to have read-only permissions for BMT as well.
In a general sense, it can be very hard to tell what kind of actions a web app is taking during a given request. About the only way to do it is by specifying URLs and/or putting logic within the web app itself to check for role authorization before performing certain actions.

Quote:
Is there anyway at all for the user to do it through the realms.properties file at all or some kind of clever workaround? I REALLY would like to do this; as this is the ONLY limitation that I have found upgrading to the jetty version. Everything else works just like it used to as far as I can tell.
Not really the realms properties file. It can probably be done in the context xml file. I did something like this for the public URLs in nielm's web server so they would still be unprotected when running in Jetty. That's the inverse of what you want to do (unprotected by default vs admin-only by default) but it should be doable. Keep in mind that file is overwritten when the web app is upgraded - that's why I haven't suggested it as something for most users to do.
, Java 1.6.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm curious once you get the jetty version going.. what is there thats different beside the issue with not being able to define read-only guest accounts?
I'd need to review the list but one thing that comes to mind is the aliases.properties file (mapping URLs to file paths) is a feature of TJWS - not anything in nielm's code - so Jetty doesn't support it. I'll try to include a list when I get around to updating the wiki with more info about running nielm's web ui on Jetty.

Quote:
Everything looks identical to me... the only thing that's different is it seems to be a little bit faster in general.
Perfect
, Java 1.6.

Tags
web