SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Question HD Media Extender with HDHomerun, Clarifications on versions

First a general question. SageTV has advertised the HD Theater and Media Center bundle
http://store.sagetv.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=SB
for $224.95 and right below that it says

Includes SageTV Media Center version 6 for Windows license and download information.

*Requires SageTV Media Center version 6.5 or later and a compatible HD TV Tuner

I am not sure if I understand this. Does the bundle include version 6.6 which is the same as
http://store.sagetv.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=SS

Secondly a support question,
Will this work flawlessly with a HDHOmeRun
http://www.hdhomerun.com/products/hdhomerun_atsc

The HD Theater box will be in the main room where I want to use it to broadcast OTA HD programs and I also want to use it as
a DVR and hence I am thinking of the bundle package and the HDHome run. The HDHomerun will be upstairs on the network
and the SageTV Media center (version?) will be on a computer on the same network. I presume that I should be able to use the HD Thetar box as a DVR for the OTA programs if the computer is on running SageTV media center and the HomeRun is also on.
Is this correct?
If the computer is turned off, will I still be able to simply view the program guide, navigate and watch programs with just the HD HOme run turned on and the HD Theater box but without the DVR and timeshifting (pause/rewind etc) features.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

The bundle you mention says it includes a v6 SageTV license -- that is good for all versions of version 6.

And the HDHR is on the list of supported tuners on the SageTV Requirements page.

The HD200 cannot use tuners on its own; the SageTV server controls the tuners & the HD200 connects to the SageTV server. In standalone/media player mode, the HD200 can import the video files over the local network if the PC where the recordings reside is on, but it will have no EPG info that way. EPG data is only available in extender mode (connected to the server).

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the clarifications. It really helps.
On the server machine, does the software allow features like viewing the program material (Act as a TV in the server room) and use all the DVR/features similar to what the media extender box provides?
Or do I need a placeshifter running on that machine?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Sage User

Sorry if my questions are pretty basic. Just started checking out SageTV and would sure appreciate your help.
With a Media Extender is it easy to setup netflix watch instantly? I saw some posts using playon. Was wondering if this is a difficult hack or an easy setup that is commonly used.
I wish I had more time, and if questions I ask are covered elsewhere, I apologize.
Thanks,
-Jai
Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

The UI can run on the server. There is a PDF manual that comes with SageTV (or can be downloaded separately) that explains running SageTV on the server -- see chapter 2 for that & other basic coverage for new users. I don't use any customizations you mentioned & suggest you check the customizations forum for that info.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.