SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Upgrade: Can I get (4) tuners with (2) DTV HD DVR Receivers

Ok, I'm sure its posted somewhere. But the more I search and read, the more I'm confused.

Time to upgrade my old system from multiple DTV H20 receivers piped through old nvidia dual tv tuners to newer HD tuner equipment.

From what I'm understanding, the newer Hauppauge HD-PVR tuners are the ticket.

My question is:
Can I get (4) tuner HD recording capability by connecting (2) DTV H23 HD-DVR receivers through (2) Hauppauge HD-PVR tuners or do I need (4) DTV H23 receivers + (4) HD-PVR tuners to (4) tuner simultaneous recording capability?

I'm currently using a WHS as my SageTV media server and (2) SageTV clients. So, I'd like to add more HD capable SageTV clients with the above application and to start actually viewing and hearing HD quality broadcasts from a DTV receivers.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

HD-PVRs are single tuner only and so are the H23 receivers. You will need 4 of each to get 4 tuners.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Only DishTV has true dual tuners that would support what you're talking about. They have set top boxes that can tune two channels, and ouptut both those channels to two devices, from one box.

DirecTV's "dual tuners" are internal only and allow you to watch/output one show, while recording another show to the internal DVR.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
HD-PVRs are single tuner only and so are the H23 receivers. You will need 4 of each to get 4 tuners.
Thanks! I figured as much but saw something somewhere while searching that had me thinking the Directv HD-PVR gave you two external tuners. This clarification still saves me money. I would have purchased the PVR's at a premium and not getting any bang for the buck.