SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Cannot browse network in Media and cannot add network drive to import directory

Hello all:

To start, this is not a "Run Service as a network user" problem. I have changed to my network User for the service. That being said, I am stumped.

I am running SageTV V6.6.2.216 on Windows XP. I am using SageTV3 stv file (standard?) V6.6.2.22. I also have PlayOn installed.

About 2 months ago, I noticed that under Media >> Browse Media, I no longer have the option to "Browse the local network". See attachment

While trying to troubleshoot, I noticed that I cannot add an network directory to the import path. Setup>> Detailed Setup>> General>>Media Center Import Directories. When I click ADD NEW DIRECTORY, and browse to the list of drives, at the bottom is NETWORK. When I click on it, is says INVALID DIRECTORY. See Attachment.

As another troubleshooting note, if I play a song or video from an already mapped directory, it plays fine.

So, I have searched the forum to no avail and posted to see if anyone can help.

Thanks

Interman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip_2.jpg (60.2 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg Clip_3.jpg (65.4 KB, 389 views)
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Sage User

Same here

I just did a fresh install on Windows 7, installed the PlayOn plugin, and I am unable to add Mapped Network Drives. I need to have this working as soon as possible (i.e. before Thanksgiving). If anyone could please help, that would be great.

To confirm, UAC was turned off, but I installed to the Program Files directory.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
SageTVaholic

If you are running in service mode, you have to use the UNC path. Mapping network drives to a drive letter is done at log-on, and does not work from a service (as the service is not 'logged-on'. - even if it is using a logged-on user's credentials) This is a change from windows XP, where the 'allow service to interact with desktop' switch allowed the service to run IN the logged-on instance. Vista/7 removed the capability (security reasoning).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

And in case you don't know what a UNC path is, it directly references the host machine as well as the share:

\\Media-Server\Videos

Where Media-Server is the computer name, and Videos is the share name.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage User

Red face Follow up to "Cannot browse network..."

As a followup to this:

I have SageTV installed on an XP box. I have rebooted and reinstalled several times but it does not fix the problem.

HOWEVER, when I reboot the windows 7 box on my network, then the SageTV/XP box CAN browse the network. There must be something in Windows 7 that tells windows XP or SageTV to do something differently.

BUT, even with this temporary fix, SageTV cannot browse Windows 7 or Windows Vista shares. It shows the computer but when you click on them, it says invalid directory. Does Windows 7 broadcast share names differently to the Network?

I am not a windows expert so if anyone has an idea of how this works, please let me know.

Interman
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Windows 7 by default probably becomes the master browser. Make sure on the Windows 7 box you "Turn on Network Discovery" turn on "File and Printer Sharing" and for ease of use "Turn off password protected sharing". Also make sure all of your PCs are in the same Workgroup. Go to My computer-Properties. Scroll down to see "Workgroup" and then click "Change Settings" to modify it. The other thing to make sure is you have the same UserID and password on each PC and use that ID for SageTV Service if you are running it in service mode.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

I have the exact same problem when I first reboot my w7 machine my SageTV server can see my w7 shares... this works for a while.

After doing remote transcoding and moving files around with no problem.... an hour or so later my XP sage TV server cannot see the shares anymore. I have to reboot the W7 machine again. I have no problem in Vista .. XP just W7. I have the same passwords. I can see all the files on the XP Sage Server.... but not the other way around. I have even totally turned off W7 fire walls works for a while then stops. W7 appears to block the server after a while.

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-12-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by interman View Post
As a followup to this:

I have SageTV installed on an XP box. I have rebooted and reinstalled several times but it does not fix the problem.

HOWEVER, when I reboot the windows 7 box on my network, then the SageTV/XP box CAN browse the network. There must be something in Windows 7 that tells windows XP or SageTV to do something differently.

BUT, even with this temporary fix, SageTV cannot browse Windows 7 or Windows Vista shares. It shows the computer but when you click on them, it says invalid directory. Does Windows 7 broadcast share names differently to the Network?

I am not a windows expert so if anyone has an idea of how this works, please let me know.

Interman
Try this

You may need to do some tweaking. Goto Start -> Run. type gpedit.msc, select Windows Settings under Computer Configuration, select Security Settings, select Local Policies, select Security Options, go to Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party SMB servers, set it to ENABLED.
now try accesing your shared folders.

PS also make sure you do what gplasky suggested

Last edited by nyplayer; 12-12-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Windows Vista and beyond come configured to use an upgraded network security protocol (NTLM 2.0, I think). There is a way to allow older (XP) clients to access it by allowing it to accept the older NTLM authentication, but I can't recall the exact procedure.

Google "Access Windows 7 Shares from XP" and you should find what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interman View Post
As a followup to this:

Interman
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by src666 View Post
Windows Vista and beyond come configured to use an upgraded network security protocol (NTLM 2.0, I think). There is a way to allow older (XP) clients to access it by allowing it to accept the older NTLM authentication, but I can't recall the exact procedure.

Google "Access Windows 7 Shares from XP" and you should find what you need.
For the most part, I believe it is the steps described above by gplasky.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
For the most part, I believe it is the steps described above by gplasky.
No, it goes deeper to that, and you have to dig into the Group Policy settings to get to the settings that give you compatibility with older NTLM authentication systems.

Tags
add, browse, media, newtork