SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage User

Cant configure Import directories

new hd200 with firmware 20090903

just got this today so bear with me.

Set to manually specify directories for import

No directories currently setup

Clicked VIDEOS, highlighted "Configure Media Center Import Directories"

That takes me to the same network browser i get when using the folder options.

I thought i was supposed to click the info button when on or in the folder i wanted to import, but when i click the info button, nothing happens.

Am I going about this wrong? How do I setup the folders it its supposed to import from?

EDIT: When I first opened the box a few hours ago, i'm fairly sure i got a popup menu when i hit the Info button - but then i remembered I hadnt updated the firmware so I figured I should do that first.

Since this first post, I have now updated to the latest beta firmware but the problem is still there.

I have also tried to set it to automatically scan the network -but that doesn't appear to scan anything.

Last edited by jkhouw1; 12-08-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: more accurate
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Sage User

I got it to work - sort of using IP address mapping

It doesn't recognize dvds that were ripped using dvdFAB's option to strip everything main movie- which sucks because I'll have to re-rip everything

Also, perhaps I have the wrong setting but it recognized my full rip of my test bluray disc but doesn't play the audio track. (not using HDMI since i have an older plasma with no hdmi input - so connection is component video and optical audio). Any settings I should play with to get it to play back the audio track?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhouw1 View Post
I got it to work - sort of using IP address mapping

It doesn't recognize dvds that were ripped using dvdFAB's option to strip everything main movie- which sucks because I'll have to re-rip everything

Also, perhaps I have the wrong setting but it recognized my full rip of my test bluray disc but doesn't play the audio track. (not using HDMI since i have an older plasma with no hdmi input - so connection is component video and optical audio). Any settings I should play with to get it to play back the audio track?
I too recently recieved my first HD200 and at first had a little trouble specifying which folders to look in for videos. Once I realized that I could simply keep pressing the up next directory until I reached the drives and then could just browse to the folder I wanted and simply set that folder for video, I was off and running.

All of the 300+ DVDs on HDD have just the main movie in a single mpeg. I also have most of them in seperate folders with folder art. They do not show up in DVD but the do show up quite nicely in the Videos section and they show up with folder art. I personally do not care that they are in DVD. They are a video file and therefore also belong in the Video section. I have genre folders, hence when my Wife or I go into videos we see folders with names like Action, Adventure and so on. I have other network media players that can not play video_ts so for now I am happy with the setup.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I use DVDFab and if you rip to the standard video_ts folder and rip to the standard *.vob * .ifo files they will be recognized as DVDs and will work as just the main movie. That's how most of mine are set-just main movie. Refer to the Sage manual in the appendix for how Sage is looking to see DVD files.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I use DVDFab and if you rip to the standard video_ts folder and rip to the standard *.vob * .ifo files they will be recognized as DVDs and will work as just the main movie. That's how most of mine are set-just main movie. Refer to the Sage manual in the appendix for how Sage is looking to see DVD files.

Gerry
are you using sagetv software with the hd-200? or just as a standalone? I'm doing standalone, all the folders have the vob and ifo files, but the standalone is not recognizing them as dvds (except the ones where I left the DVD menu)

Are you able to see them all in the Movies sections? or just by browsing the folder?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
are you using sagetv software with the hd-200? or just as a standalone? I'm doing standalone, all the folders have the vob and ifo files, but the standalone is not recognizing them as dvds (except the ones where I left the DVD menu)

Are you able to see them all in the Movies sections? or just by browsing the folder?
Used it both ways. Grabbed the rips from my network server and also an external usb drive when traveling. Update your firmware to the latest beta version. Typre 2-3-8-2 (b-e-t-a) when you're on the firmware page for the hd200. I'm trying to remember but make sure you have designated those files as being video files when you create the import directory. (Or maybe that's only in setting it up as a sage extender)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Sage User

thanks for the suggestions gerry

I had already tried (or more accurately am still trying) the latest beta firmware.

I had set the import directories to only video as well.

It works fine with the bluray rip of the main feature only, but not with the dvd's.

I've also tried removing the import directories and re-adding them but it seems to always recognize the same 20% or so, and not see the rest.

I did get my bluray audio working (had wrong setting on audio so i guess it wasn't passing the DTS through to my rcvr)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
SageTVaholic

I didn't see, do your movie only rips have the VIDEO_TS folder intact?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I didn't see, do your movie only rips have the VIDEO_TS folder intact?
OK - I figured out what it will see and won't see: (using DVDFab to rip)
(additional WMC, Twonky, and XBOX info included in case others are curious)
In all cases, VIDEO_TS is intact with ifo and vob files.

CUSTOMIZE->Select main movie and remove menus (play titles continually)
  • SageTV DVD/BR won't recognize it at all
  • SageTV Folder View won't recognize it as DVD - only as individual chunks by browsing into the VIDEO_TS folder
  • SageTV viewing UPnP Twonky (installed on NAS) presents it as a single movie (no coverart or metadata) but only 2 channel stereo
  • Windows Media Center presents it as DVD (including coverart (and metadata with MyMovies only))
  • XBOX using Windows Media Center Extender requires transcoder running on WMC box

MAIN MOVIE-
  • SageTV Folder View sees it as a single movie but no DVD metadata (just cover art
  • SageTV viewing UPnP Twonky (installed on NAS) presents it as a single movie (no coverart or metadata) but only 2 channel stereo
  • Windows Media Center presents it as DVD (including coverart (and metadata with MyMovies only))
  • XBOX using Windows Media Center Extender requires transcoder running on WMC box

Full Disc-
  • SageTV DVD/BR sees it as DVD with cover art and metadata
  • SageTV Folder View sees it as a single movie but no DVD metadata (just cover art

Last edited by jkhouw1; 12-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

please see this thread as it sounds similar. In standalone mode about 1/2 of movies did not import after moving from an xp sage server to a whs server. There seems to be some bug in standalone mode, extender mode the movies are there and work fine. Did you try in extender mode? Do you have a sagetv server?

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45065
1 x HD200 - connected to 150FD
1 x Sage TV server
Pioneer VSX92THX receiver
Monitor one 5.1 surround speakers
Sony S550 Blueray
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhewda View Post
please see this thread as it sounds similar. In standalone mode about 1/2 of movies did not import after moving from an xp sage server to a whs server. There seems to be some bug in standalone mode, extender mode the movies are there and work fine. Did you try in extender mode? Do you have a sagetv server?

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45065

Probably a similar or the same annoying bug.

I dont have a WHS box- I was testing win media center on one of my computers running win7. I have all the movies stored on NAS. I Don't have a sagetv server. As small as they get, and with as little fan noise etc, my A/V cabinet (built in) is simply too small to house that along with the beer fridge, 2 A/V recievers powering 5 zones, NAS, WII, XBOX, Cable, Wireless bridge, switch, UPS, IR/RF blaster and cooling fans too. Also I want it as simple as possible with as little cross-dependencies as possible. I would rather re-burn all my dvd's than build another pc or deal with flakey wireless.

Currently my movie NAS is in the cabinet so I can use a switch instead of wireless - I just use wireless to move the ripped data onto the NAS.

If I can get this to work, I will likely put a few more SageTV boxes in for the other zones.

Question about the SageTV server/extender setup: What is the data path for the streamed data if media is on NAS? Does it go NAS->SageServer->Extender(similar to media center using transcoder to XBOX)? or just NAS->Extender with the SageServer just providing metadata/movie library functionality?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK - I figured out what it will see and won't see: (using DVDFab to rip)
(additional WMC, Twonky, and XBOX info included in case others are curious)
In all cases, VIDEO_TS is intact with ifo and vob files.

CUSTOMIZE->Select main movie and remove menus (play titles continually)
  • SageTV Folder View won't recognize it as DVD - only as individual chunks by browsing into the VIDEO_TS folder

MAIN MOVIE-

Full Disc-
  • SageTV DVD/BR sees it as DVD with cover art and metadata
All that tells us is DVDFab is doing something "naughty" if you don't do the full disk. I've never had that trouble with DVDShrink. DVDFab must not be retaining some file.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
All that tells us is DVDFab is doing something "naughty" if you don't do the full disk. I've never had that trouble with DVDShrink. DVDFab must not be retaining some file.
Perhaps - although both Twonky and Windows Media Center recognizes it as a DVD - so while it maybe doing something 'naughty' I wonder if that something 'naughty' is still legit.

(I ASSUME twonky recognizes it as a dvd - at the very least it recognizes even the "Customized" version as a single movie - since none of twonky presents "DVD" when running in the config I have. SageTV HD-200 does NOT recognize it as a full movie even when looking in 'folder' view)
Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Sage User

well, still 13 dvds in VIDEO_TS format that sage refuses to recognize as DVD or even playable media regardless of the method chosen. When looking at the info on them, for each one it claims that the VTS_01_1.VOB is 0.00MB when it is actually 1GB and then says the it no longer exists when I try to play it.

I guess I will have to encode to some other format for these which sucks because then they won't be listed with the rest of them.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Have you sent this information to Sage? I think they'd be very interested in this, and getting it fixed.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Sage User

Ok, after a few quick back and forths with Sage support, it turns out the issue is that the non-working dvd's were missing the VIDEO_TS.VOB file (I can't believe I didn't notice but I was probably looking at ones that WERE working, or just seeing all the IFO, BUP, and other VOB's that I didn't notice.)

For those that are curious, a quick google seems to indicate that the VIDEO_TS.VOB simply contains the copyright files and other stuff, and DVDFab maybe was killing it (although no setting I tried in DVDFab copied any VIDEO_TS.VOB).

If others are having this problem, I just copied a VIDEO_TS.VOB from any working dvd directory to the folders that were missing them and that allows the HD200 to play the DVD's as DVD's.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, DVDShrink puts a VIDEO_TS.VOB file there even for movie only rips
Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
FWIW, DVDShrink puts a VIDEO_TS.VOB file there even for movie only rips
hmm - i had tried dvdShrink as well but it had some other issue (or maybe the same one) with these same DVD's, I can't remember what at the moment.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Well it's not being actively maintained so it can't handle all the newest, most "creative" structures on some new DVDs, not without the help of other software like AnyDVD. But I ripped several hundred DVDs with DVD Shrink and never had a "doesn't show up" in the import list problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ok, after a few quick back and forths with Sage support, it turns out the issue is that the non-working dvd's were missing the VIDEO_TS.VOB file (I can't believe I didn't notice but I was probably looking at ones that WERE working, or just seeing all the IFO, BUP, and other VOB's that I didn't notice.)

For those that are curious, a quick google seems to indicate that the VIDEO_TS.VOB simply contains the copyright files and other stuff, and DVDFab maybe was killing it (although no setting I tried in DVDFab copied any VIDEO_TS.VOB).

If others are having this problem, I just copied a VIDEO_TS.VOB from any working dvd directory to the folders that were missing them and that allows the HD200 to play the DVD's as DVD's.
Sorry. Not buying that. All 514 of my DVD ripd were done by DVD Fab and less than half of them have a VIDEO_TS.VOB and I have no issues playing all of them. Most are just Main Move but some are full rips. Being curious I just looked at 3 DVD rentals I have from Netflix. 2 out of 2 do NOT have a VIDEO_TS.VOB. (The Thaw and The Brave One.) Public Enemies does. Out of 10 of the ones I grabbed and own only 3 of them had a VIDEO_TS.VOB.
VIDEO_TS.vob is not a requirement for a DVD to play.

Gerry