SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage Expert

HD200 Placeshifter

I've got an HD200 and I'm planning on taking it with me when I go to my folks this Christmas. I'm trying to set it up for placeshifting to my SageTV server back home.

I've enabled placeshifting on the server, and when I use the "test placeshifter connection" option in the setup it says I am fine. I've also created a user and password, and it says it is enabled.

On the HD200, I created a server connection, and entered the server's locator ID. (I have also tried connecting by specifying the IP address) When I try to connect I get only a black screen.

Is this because I am trying to use it from within my LAN? Do I need to go outside my LAN in order to test placeshifting?

I never saw any place to enter the name/password that I enabled on the server. Is a screen supposed to pop up when I connect, or does this need to be set up on the HD200 somehow?

Could it be something with the display settings? I can't tell if it's connecting and not displaying, or just not connecting at all.

I thought I had tested this a few weeks ago and it worked... now it doesn't. Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Sage Expert

It doesn't ask for username and password when working on the local network. Even if you point to your internet address it may or may not think you're 'outside the local network.' There is a thread about setting up dyndns which will fool it into thinking you're on the internet (and will also enable buffering and dynamic streaming, which get turned off when it senses you're on the local network, so I use it all the time. makes wireless work reliably for me).
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Sage Expert

update

I restarted the Sage server and powered down and restarted the HD200. Now I can connect to the server by starting up in standalone mode and selecting the placeshifting server I defined. However, I still never get asked for a username or password, even though I told the server to disallow automatic login. The server also isn't transcoding -- it's just streaming the file to the extender just as if I had connected the normal way. Is there any way to tell if this is operating as a placeshifter?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

If you are on the same LAN with the server it will not ask for a login and you pipe is big enough not to need to transcode. To truely test just go offsite and try it, most all motels have free wifi you only need a min or two to test. If you have AV problems manually setup the transcoding.

EDIT: Check your properties, make sure local passwords is enabled. This will break all your MVPs too BTW. It isn't on by default.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the posts guys. From what I can tell, it seems everything is working fine, but I'll have to go outside my LAN to test it for sure. That shouldn't be a big deal assuming it 'just works' without a lot of fiddling.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you try this outside the network and how did it finally work out?
Main Server: Intel Core i5 Processor i5-670, MSI Motherboard H57M-ED65, Corsair 4 GB PC3-12800, Intel 320 Series 160 GB SSD, Western Digital 150 GB VelociRaptor, LIAN-LI PC-C36B Case, Vista 64 Home Premium, JavaHeap = 1,200. +Network Encoder.
Storage: HP487 with 37.5TB of storage.
Extenders: x2 HD300 x6 HD200.
Tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1950 USB x3, USBIRT.
Adds-in:Many!.
Others: Sony BDVE500W, OPPO HM-31 dvanced HDMI 1.3 1080p Switch, Harmony One.