SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage User

hauppauge hd-pvr support

I know SageTV officially supports the hauppauge hd-pvr, but I can't seem to use it in Sage. When I first setup the tuner, everything is fine. Sage sees it and it was painless to setup. However, when I go to Live TV, I just get a blank screen. After a while, the playback is paused even though there's nothing playing. I put a hvr-1800 in there to see if Sage could use it - Sage detected it and used it fine. I also tried watching tv with the hd-pvr on the included arcsoft application, and that was fine too. So, I'm at a loss as to why Sage can't actually use the hd-pvr. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Have you tried the installation instructions found in the thread in my signature? There is a unique set of instructions to use with the HD-PVR. Specifically, you must install the HD-PVR stuff while SageTV is NOT installed on the machine. This generally requires that you uninstall SageTV prior to installing the HD-PVR and then reinstalling SageTV after.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Sage User

Thanks! I think that helped. Now, when I go into Live TV in Sage, the blue lights on the top of hd-pvr go on. They're definitely responding to something, but I still get a blank screen.

BTW, I use Windows 7 x64 if that matters. I tried the instructions on this thread, but that didn't work either. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=43579

EDIT: hmm... I just found out something very peculiar: I can't watch live or recorded tv in sage - they're blank screens. However, if I use VLC to watch the actual recorded TS files, can I view them fine. Something must be wrong with Sage's decoder....

Last edited by hehe299792458; 01-02-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not really up to speed on using a computer for playback, so I won't be much help. I'm using an HD extender, so I have no worries about playback. But at least you got 1/2 of it working. It does sound like Sage is properly using the HD-PVR as a tuner and actually recording the material.

Now we just have to work on getting the playback correct.

My instructions don't say anything about the TME (Total Media Extreme) software because it isn't required for setting up the HD-PVR as a tuner. But if you haven't reinstalled the TME software that came with the HD-PVR, then I would suggest that you do that. I suspect any codex that is required will be installed when you load that software.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
I'm not really up to speed on using a computer for playback, so I won't be much help. I'm using an HD extender, so I have no worries about playback. But at least you got 1/2 of it working. It does sound like Sage is properly using the HD-PVR as a tuner and actually recording the material.

Now we just have to work on getting the playback correct.

My instructions don't say anything about the TME (Total Media Extreme) software because it isn't required for setting up the HD-PVR as a tuner. But if you haven't reinstalled the TME software that came with the HD-PVR, then I would suggest that you do that. I suspect any codex that is required will be installed when you load that software.
hmm.... this is definitely a codec problem. I tried installing TME to no avail. However, when I installed a sage client on a mac, all my recordings played back properly. I wonder if it's only a windows7-only problem. IF it were, that'd be ironic.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

I feel your pain brother.

There is definitely a codec breaking live TV on Windows 7. I am running 64bit Windows 7 too. I had live tv working on this machine as a PC client, but something I installed later broke it (possibly ZoomPlayer).

If I play a show immediately after it completes recording (i.e. not live) it works, go figure. There is something about how live streaming works that is broken.

This was also broken for me on XP for a looooong time.

I went as far as tracing the network to troubleshoot. The samba packets are different between the two cases, it's almost like a samba connection is not or can not be created with the live stream.

The debug log is not very helpful because it does not show what filters are being used.

The one good news item is I've never had any problems with the 3 HD100s I have.
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

In order to playback the recordings from the HD-PVR you need a CODEC/DeCoder other than the default Sage DeCoder.

I use the Arcsoft Video Decoder that came with TME supplied with the HD-PVR. TME will need to be updated after it is installed and you may need to verify that hardware acceleration is enabled in the Arcsoft DeCoder. (HA should be turned on by default but I recently had a playback issue and found the HA was disabled. Most likely through some fault of my own.)

I am currently using Vista 32, however since your using Win7 you could try the new Microsoft DeCoder. If you don't see the Microsoft DeCoder listed as an option when in the Sage setup, you may need to use the new Native Recoding Patch which you can find here.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 View Post
Thanks! I think that helped. Now, when I go into Live TV in Sage, the blue lights on the top of hd-pvr go on. They're definitely responding to something, but I still get a blank screen.

BTW, I use Windows 7 x64 if that matters. I tried the instructions on this thread, but that didn't work either. http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=43579

EDIT: hmm... I just found out something very peculiar: I can't watch live or recorded tv in sage - they're blank screens. However, if I use VLC to watch the actual recorded TS files, can I view them fine. Something must be wrong with Sage's decoder....
You have to get the "Microsoft DTV Video decoders" working in order to view HD-PVR content in Windows 7. I believe these decoders only come in the higher end win 7 editions like Ultimate. You could try the earlier Cyberlink (Directshow) decoders, but the Microsoft decoder is the best.

I have a win 7 client and win 7 server using the Microsoft decoders and they are awesome, 5 to 8% CPU with an old video card.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage User

HD-PVR and Arcsoft Decoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
In order to playback the recordings from the HD-PVR you need a CODEC/DeCoder other than the default Sage DeCoder.

I use the Arcsoft Video Decoder that came with TME supplied with the HD-PVR. TME will need to be updated after it is installed and you may need to verify that hardware acceleration is enabled in the Arcsoft DeCoder. (HA should be turned on by default but I recently had a playback issue and found the HA was disabled. Most likely through some fault of my own.)

I am currently using Vista 32, however since your using Win7 you could try the new Microsoft DeCoder. If you don't see the Microsoft DeCoder listed as an option when in the Sage setup, you may need to use the new Native Recoding Patch which you can find here.
The Arcsoft decoder, on my system, has the DXVA boxes unchecked in the filter properties and I cannot get them to stay checked no matter what I do. SageTV uses 80-90% CPU time, I take it hardware acceleration is off. What can I do to get Arcsoft to use my ATI 4200?

Any ideas?

Dana
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Are you switching HA on inside the TME application?

UAC on or off?

When was the ATI 4200 drivers installed in relationship to turning off UAC? (After is OK, unless you installed the ATI 4200 with UAC on, and then switch UAC off. If that is the case I have had to reinstall OP to fix HA with ATI card)

Last edited by jerryt; 07-11-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
You have to get the "Microsoft DTV Video decoders" working in order to view HD-PVR content in Windows 7. I believe these decoders only come in the higher end win 7 editions like Ultimate. You could try the earlier Cyberlink (Directshow) decoders, but the Microsoft decoder is the best.

I have a win 7 client and win 7 server using the Microsoft decoders and they are awesome, 5 to 8% CPU with an old video card.
The MS decoders should be in any version of Win7 that has MCE included. I have Win7 Professional on 2 machines and both have the MS decoders. I'm not sure if they are included in Home premium or not, it stands to reason they wouldn't include MCE and not the decoders... of course this is MS so reason is not always involved in their decisions
Old 07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
I'm not sure if they are included in Home premium or not...
They are
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2