SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Sage User

Question HD200 ventilation requirements

How much heat does the HD200 generate? I ordered one and it should be here in a few days...

I would like to install mine in a cabinet space that is exactly the same height as the unit and is mostly enclosed, with just a small opening in the back of the cabinet. Will that cause it to cook itself to death?

My other option is to remove some other less-used component from my media center that's in a fan-ventilated cabinet space. But I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I wouldn't think that would be a problem, it only uses about 8W or so.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have mine in a larger wicker basket (with lid), it sits ontop of a UPS, it get a bit warm but not hot. The wicker lets me spread them apart to put the IR sensor in the hole, but I don't think it gets to much ventilation. Like stanger89 posted, only 8 watts, so that will limit the amount of heat it creates.

Dave
Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

mine was in a salamander cabinet (no fans). It sat beside an SA4250HD box. It actually got very warm. It now sits outside on top just off to the side of the TV. All electronic equipment need good airflow to maximize the life of the product. Just something to keep in mind.
1 x HD200 - connected to 150FD
1 x Sage TV server
Pioneer VSX92THX receiver
Monitor one 5.1 surround speakers
Sony S550 Blueray
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Sage User

Just tought I'd follow up. The HD200 barely gets warm, and it works fine in my barely-ventilated cabinet.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

I recommend being a little careful. I have my cable STBs and my blu-ray player stacked up on top of one another with spacers in-between for ventilation. I used to have my HD200 on top of my blu-ray player, which I don't use very much. It definitely wasn't a hot location by any means, but it noticeably warmer than the room tempature. My HD200 occasionally locked-up, maybe once a week or so. I've since moved it to a different shelf on my AV tower, and now it only locks up every 2-3 weeks. Coincidence? Maybe- I really don't know. I always suspected the vast majority of the lockups were caused by weird errors in media files, but I don't really know.

Also, if your HD200 ever does lock-up, it will get very warm very fast. At least, mine does.

You'll almost certainly be fine, but I kind of wonder if the HD200 is pretty temperature-sensitive.