SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Well, getting the speaker test to work isn't THAT important for media playback. You can still get the media's multichannel via the AC3 in the meantime. I merely recommended the analog conenctions because they will then get full multi-channel sound from all programs (that support multichannel), and not just through AC3.
Gotcha, Fuzzy. I liked the idea also for being able to get rid of the cable sticking out the front of the HTPC. So, until the cable comes in, I'm still good but will likely switch over to the analog later

On a side note, when you uncheck the "Use TOSLINK (passthrough)" option in your setup, do you get the same results as I was? Should I still not be able to use a TOSLINK cable AND AC3Filter if that's what I wanted to do? (knowing this isn't the best in my case, I'm still curious as to why I can't seem to use AC3Filter with my setup and must use it in a passthrough type mode instead)

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, after you get the cable set up, you can still use AC3Filter to do the audio decoding, just leave the 'Use SPDIF' unchecked. This will output it in whatever speaker setup you choose in the drop-down. (I believe for proper operation, you also have to make sure windows has the proper speaker's set up).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Sage Fanatic

Update: I got the specialized cable in and installed which allows me to use the analog inputs on my Pioneer. Everything seems to be working good! For just normal cable TV recordings I think the TOSLink hookup sounds a bit better (have way more bass. LOL) as it allows me to select the different sound setting options on the Pioneer. With the direct analog input you get what you get. So, I'll keep both the analog and TOSLink hooked up for more options

Thanks much for all your help guys!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:58 AM
SageTVaholic

You can, if you choose, play around with the options in AC3Filter to tweak the upmixing settings. What you are probably experiencing is that when dealing with Stereo Sound, in digital, the receiver sees it as just Stereo, and doesn the upmixing itself - this includes pulling the Low frequencies from the mains and sending it to the Sub. That option is not selected by default in AC3Filter. On the 'Mixer' Tab in AC3Filter, you need to enable the 'Bass Redirection', and try different values in the 'Cutoff Frequency' box.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Bringing this one back from the dead

I had previously resolved my issues by using the specialized Sound Blaster cable. However, my motherboard has recently died and I had to build a new HTPC so am no longer able to use the Sound Blaster card. Now I have new issues I can't get resolved. ARGH!

Here is my problem... I'm using an onboard 7.1 sound card via the SPDIF TOSLink connection to my receiver.

When I select in AC3Filter the passthrough mode, I get great surround sound when listening to ripped DVDs. Everything works great. But, as soon as I try to just watch normal news, for example, through SageTV, I get no sound at all. I don't get any sound with normal cable TV until I de-select the passthrough mode in AC3Filter and then I get sound for TV. But, in this setting I have no voices at all out the center channel when watching DVDs. I have to switch the AC3Filter settings back and forth depending on what I'm watching. Certainly, this shouldn't be required and I must not have a setting checked correctly but I've gone through everything and tried what seems like all the settings either on or off and the sound never plays for regular TV when I have passthrough enabled.

In AC3Filter I do have checked "AC3", "DTS", and "MPEG Audio" for SPDIF Passthrough but this doesn't make any difference and I still don't get sound for regular cable TV.

Sage is also configured to use AC3Filter.

Is this just the way it is or are there people out there successfully using a TOSLink cable and getting good sound in both DVDs and regular TV without having to switch settings back and forth in AC3Filter? I'm probably just an idiot and missing something simple.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
SageTVaholic

When watching TV, does AC3Filter load (make sure you enable the tray icon in the 'system' tab? If so, in there it should list what it's doing (as far as input format, and output format).

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

What OS are you using? For plain spdif you probably don't need to use ac3filter at all, if you're using e.g. win7.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
In AC3Filter I do have checked "AC3", "DTS", and "MPEG Audio" for SPDIF Passthrough but this doesn't make any difference and I still don't get sound for regular cable TV.
You usually wouldn't want MPEG Audio checked, unless you're particular amp can decode mpeg audio. Mine doesn't, so Ac3Filter wraps mpeg into stereo ac3 over SPDIF.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SS View Post
You usually wouldn't want MPEG Audio checked, unless you're particular amp can decode mpeg audio. Mine doesn't, so Ac3Filter wraps mpeg into stereo ac3 over SPDIF.
You also wouldn't want to encode stereo MPEG to AC3. Instead you should let it use PCM for stereo sources, to avoid the extra encoding losses.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
When watching TV, does AC3Filter load (make sure you enable the tray icon in the 'system' tab? If so, in there it should list what it's doing (as far as input format, and output format).
AC3Filter is loading. If I just go to the Sage Main Menu without the "rec" icon and then go to watch live TV, the AC3Filter icon appears in tray.

For regular TV I have the green bars going for the input and output for the left and right channels only.

Here is the Decoder Info while watching the news on standard def cable:
Quote:
Input format: MPEG Audio - 48000
User format: PCM16 - 0
Output format: PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000

Decoding chain:
(MPEG Audio - 48000) -> Decoder -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Processor -> (PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Dejitter -> (PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000)

Filters info (in order of processing):

Decoder:
Stream format: MPEG Audio 2/0 (stereo) 48000Hz
Bitstream type: byte stream
Frame size: 1152
Samples: 1152
Bitrate: 384kbps
SPDIF stream type: 0x5
Frame interval: 1152
Actual bitrate: 384kbps
MPEG Audio
speakers: 2/0 (stereo)
ver: MPEG1
frame size: 1152 bytes
stream: 8 bit
bitrate: 384kbps
sample rate: 48000Hz
bandwidth: 20kHz/20kHz

Processor:
(Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Input levels -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Input cache -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> SRC -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Mixer -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Bass redirection -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Equalizer -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Dither -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> AGC -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Delay -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Output cache -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Output levels -> (Linear PCM 2/0 (stereo) 48000) -> Linear->PCM converter -> (PCM16 2/0 (stereo) 48000)

Dejitter:
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
What OS are you using? For plain spdif you probably don't need to use ac3filter at all, if you're using e.g. win7.
I am using XP Pro. From a clean install I tried to watch a ripped DVD the other day. In order to be able to hear voices from the center channel I had to load AC3Filter and check "Use SPDIF"... but then when I do that I get NO sound for regular TV or for any of my PC system sounds (like "beep" or any sounds from my computer).
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark SS View Post
I checked that when I couldn't get any sound for regular TV. I'll uncheck it. I did just download my reciever manual (Pioneer SC-07) and did a search for MPEG and found this. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problems or not. I don't see a specific setting for this but I'm not well versed in this wording so maybe there is something in AC3Filter that means this? LOL

You may need to check the digital audio output settings on your DVD player or digital satellite receiver. It should be set to output Dolby
Digital, DTS and 88.2 kHz / 96 kHz PCM (2 channel) audio, and if there is an MPEG audio option, set this to convert the MPEG audio to PCM.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ctions0523.pdf
Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

While most of the settings seem to work as you click them, I thought I'd try to change some settings, click "OK" then re-open AC3Filter. Before I was hitting only "apply". Whatever I did, I am getting sound now while watching normal TV

What is really weird though is that I *think* my settings are back to the default so not sure why it is working now but not before? But, maybe in all my changing of stuff I got lucky and checked the right boxes. LOL

I'll try to attach a screen shot of each of the tabs (except equalizer). Maybe you experts can see something that I checked which isn't "normal" but is making my system work. Haha

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gains.JPG (61.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg main.JPG (74.7 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg mixer.JPG (68.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg spdif.JPG (77.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg system.JPG (68.6 KB, 171 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

On your SPDIF tab screen you only have AC3 checked for passthru. Wouldn't you also check MPEG audio to be passed thru?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
On your SPDIF tab screen you only have AC3 checked for passthru. Wouldn't you also check MPEG audio to be passed thru?

Gerry
That's kinda what I thought and the reason I wasn't getting sound but then above it was mentioned to not check this (or that's how I took it LOL). It wasn't checked at first when I wasn't getting any sound and it still isn't checked and now I am getting sound for normal TV so ?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

MPEG audio being checked in passthrough means it will send the MPEG stream out over the SPDIF line, which most receivers cannot decode. Leaving it unchecked, causes the MPEG audio to be decoded and sent out as standard stereo PCM.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
MPEG audio being checked in passthrough means it will send the MPEG stream out over the SPDIF line, which most receivers cannot decode. Leaving it unchecked, causes the MPEG audio to be decoded and sent out as standard stereo PCM.
I'm glad a few of you guys can decode this high end geek speak. LOL Heck, I even noticed for AC3Filter one of the options, when you click it a dialog box pops up telling you this is dangerous and to click NO to enable it. NO??? That seems bass ackwards to me but suspect it is done for the people who would just click "YES" without reading the message. Hahaha

Edit: Having said that, I realize that this is probably in some documentation or on their message board somewhere. I swear, I typically do read instructions... Sigh

Last edited by Brent94Z; 06-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.