SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

iPad anyone?

Is it just me... or were you just a little let down by the "iPad". I mean, in the past, we've seen a frenzy of articles about mythical apple devices, but with the ipad, it seems that Apple was setup to fail. I mean how could they possibly deliver the device that people "rumoured" was comming.

The ipad is a step up from an ipod touch... but not much.
* $500 entry price
* only runs 1 app at a time

So it's not a computer... it's a what?? an ereader?? that's can't be... Steve already proclaimed that people don't read anymore, so surely he didn't build an ereader??

I guess I don't understand what the innovation was supposed to be. What's your take on the ipad? Is $500 still too steep?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Is it just me... or were you just a little let down by the "iPad".
Nope, I had no hopes or expectations for it to begin with
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

It's an e-reader for people that don't read books, but read web sites instead. As you said, it's sort of like a iPod Touch with a giant screen. I agree it's not particularly groundbreaking. One of the leaks said something to the effect of "you'll be surprised how you interact with it." It doesn't seem like there was anything surprising about this device, other than the lack of multitasking.

My initial reaction was along the lines of "big deal, this doesn't replace any of my devices." I still think that's true. It wouldn't be a good replacement for my desktop, subnotebook, iPod touch, or smart phone. But, part of me still wants it, despite it's fairly significant limitations. I browse the net a lot when I'm watching TV from the couch, and this would work pretty well for that (as long as I'm not writing an email or posting on the Sage forums or Facebook).

But, while part of me wants to, I almost certainly won't buy this. $500 is cheaper than I thought it would be, but I just don't think I'll be able to justify the expense given that I already have a pretty couch-friendly laptop, and an iPod Touch and smartphone for more portable browsing.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Sage Icon

The iPad confirms how truely revolutionary the first iPhone was.

Apple has clearly learned from the success of the iPhone and the failures of many tablets.

- the iPhone OS is excellent and safe
- iPhone OS interaction paradigms are de facto industry standard now
- the app store may just be the most important of all the killer features
- traditional desktop apps must not be 'touched'

So, it's quite logical what Apple is offering. Remember what people say about the iPhone? It was the first true mobile computer. The iPad is another iteration, mostly for use at home and travel, not so much at work.

It's zero maintenance, and it does multitask alright, just not third-party apps. So you will be able to browse the web while listening to music etc.

I would have liked a camera and iChat support. Flash, I don't care, but java would have been great. I'm probably going to get one of the two smaller ones, with AT&T and the 250MB plan for $15.

Last edited by flavius; 01-27-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 PM
SageTVaholic

This is one of the best quotes I've seen on the iPad:

Quote:
Just yesterday I was looking at my iPhone thinking "Hmmm, I wish this thing didn't fit in my pocket." Then I looked over to my netbook and couldn't help but feel it would benefit from losing the keyboard and being made of 50% glass. Finally apple gives me what I wish.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is it just me... or were you just a little let down by the "iPad". I mean, in the past, we've seen a frenzy of articles about mythical apple devices, but with the ipad, it seems that Apple was setup to fail. I mean how could they possibly deliver the device that people "rumoured" was comming.

The ipad is a step up from an ipod touch... but not much.
* $500 entry price
* only runs 1 app at a time

So it's not a computer... it's a what?? an ereader?? that's can't be... Steve already proclaimed that people don't read anymore, so surely he didn't build an ereader??

I guess I don't understand what the innovation was supposed to be. What's your take on the ipad? Is $500 still too steep?
Sean,

To me at that price point it is a great portable device for emailing and more importantly letting my daughter watch movies in the car or at the doctors office so and and so fourth. It isn't everything I had hoped for but also thought it would be more. 10 hours of battery life is simply amazing to me I wish my laptop by toshiba would get that!!!

I see the appeal and they will sell not sure I am sold yet but at the price point they came in at it is pretty nice.

If I was looking at a kindle or something similiar i would definately go this route over those offering though.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Sage Icon

I expect the iPad to mature like the iPhone did. Hopefully, the second generation will have a true GPS, forward facing camera and some level of multitasking. For what I use my iPodTouch for, multitasking isn't that important (e.g., I don't know which apps I would run in parallel), but a larger screen could make it more functional. On an iPad, I could see myself watching a video in the corner of the screen while I surfed the web, or some such. Tapping on the video would make it full screen. The forward facing camera would make it a really nice Skype machine, too.
TV Storage: 11 TB (4x1.5TB for recording, 5TB for archive)
Clients: 3
SageTV Extenders:5
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
If I was looking at a kindle or something similiar i would definately go this route over those offering though.
If I was looking at a Kindle, I hope my friends would do an intervention and talk some sense into me.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
If I was looking at a Kindle, I hope my friends would do an intervention and talk some sense into me.

If you would prefer a laptop or better, a keyboardless iPad over a Kindle to read a book, you are likely not a book reader anyway. I'm betting if we took a poll, those who think reading on a 1.5 pound MID device over a Kindle is preferable don't read books, they read websites - not that there's anything wrong with that...

Don't get me wrong, I understand the use case for the iPhone UI - I just picked one up matter of fact. I just don't see why you would want to use it to read on for more than web browsing - regardless of how big it is.

Last edited by Brent; 01-27-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
10 hours of battery life is simply amazing to me I wish my laptop by toshiba would get that!!!
You could probably squeeze 10hrs out of your laptop if you ran a custom kernel that only allowed one app to run at a time.... I guess DOS is making a comeback I wonder if someone will port DESQview for ipad

Quote:
I not sure I would... I mean, it is nice to have a unit a that surfs the net with a larger screeen (but that's been done)... I just know how the screen will compare to an eink screeen for reading. It's also quite ironic that steve now places such importance on books given his previous comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
I expect the iPad to mature like the iPhone did. Hopefully, the second generation will have a true GPS, forward facing camera and some level of multitasking. For what I use my iPodTouch for, multitasking isn't that important (e.g., I don't know which apps I would run in parallel), but a larger screen could make it more functional. On an iPad, I could see myself watching a video in the corner of the screen while I surfed the web, or some such. Tapping on the video would make it full screen.
You do realize that watching a video and surfing the net is multi-tasking? Granted I suspect that steve will allow his apps to run that way... (just not 3rd party apps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
The iPad confirms how truely revolutionary the first iPhone was.
I agree... and there was a point that I really wanted to get an iphone... but then the reality of the device set in...

Quote:
- the iPhone OS is excellent and safe
- iPhone OS interaction paradigms are de facto industry standard now
- the app store may just be the most important of all the killer features
- traditional desktop apps must not be 'touched'
About the only thing that I really agree with there is the comment about the app store. And it surprises me that MS and apple didn't move that paradigm into the desktop. Having a large repository of applications at my finger tips, that are easily installable, easily removable, and easy to find is one of things that really makes it hard for me to leave linux. I think that MS and Apple could make a killing by bundling an App store in their core desktop products, and allow a single point of update notifications for all installed products, etc. (this is a little OT, but the iphone proved it could be a success)
Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Don't forget that it's great for web browsing... with no flash... and locked to a relatively crappy internet service...

They would have created a much more appealing device to CONSUMERS if they had just made a super slim tablet that ran a stripped down OS-X, instead of a scaled up iPod Touch, with no new features other than increased size and price. I have a feeling this late-to-the party reveal had a lot mroe to do with making a device appealing to THEIR pockets than their customers.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
About the only thing that I really agree with there is the comment about the app store. And it surprises me that MS and apple didn't move that paradigm into the desktop. Having a large repository of applications at my finger tips, that are easily installable, easily removable, and easy to find is one of things that really makes it hard for me to leave linux. I think that MS and Apple could make a killing by bundling an App store in their core desktop products, and allow a single point of update notifications for all installed products, etc. (this is a little OT, but the iphone proved it could be a success)
Microsoft actually DID propose an app store of sorts with Windows XP (As and extension of the Windows Catalog and the .net wallet services)... but the software companies weren't interested in using it. Basically, they didn't see a reason to mess with it, when they could sell their software from their own sites, or through egghead and amazon. I agree as well. the only reason the app store model works for apple, is that it is the ONLY way to buy the software for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. (As it currently exists, the Windows Marketplace is still in existance, just mostly all microsoft products. there are SOME 3rd parties, like Norton AV and such)

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-27-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
I expect the iPad to mature like the iPhone did.
And this is the problem with Apple. They introduce a device that's just good enough and then next year they introduce a little more functionality into it that should have been there to begin with (3G being missing from the original iPhone, an SD slot missing from the unibody Macbooks, etc.)

So next year you can be happy to pay another $500 for that camera that should have existed in the iPad in the first place. It's a great way to run a business, if you can get away with it.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I agree... and there was a point that I really wanted to get an iphone... but then the reality of the device set in...
You can always just look at it admiringly

Quote:
As to the interface paradigms, I should have added 'for handhelds', because that's what I meant to say.

OS X software is technically quite close to what you're asking, but I doubt that Apple will ever make a move in that direction and why should Microsoft?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Microsoft actually DID propose an app store of sorts with Windows XP (As and extension of the Windows Catalog and the .net wallet services)... but the software companies weren't interested in using it. Basically, they didn't see a reason to mess with it, when they could sell their software from their own sites, or through egghead and amazon. I agree as well. the only reason the app store model works for apple, is that it is the ONLY way to buy the software for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. (As it currently exists, the Windows Marketplace is still in existance, just mostly all microsoft products. there are SOME 3rd parties, like Norton AV and such)
I think that vendors would have started to come to a MS app store, if it had been a "feature" that was presented as an app store, with a native application for browsing applications... single click buy/install (without rebooting)... ie, a simple to use, "for the masses" service that was an icon on the desktop... just like IE. As people come to use that service for searching/installing applications... then if you are not in the list, then good luck selling your app... The MS app store would be like the walmart of software.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
And this is the problem with Apple. They introduce a device that's just good enough and then next year they introduce a little more functionality into it that should have been there to begin with (3G being missing from the original iPhone, an SD slot missing from the unibody Macbooks, etc.)

So next year you can be happy to pay another $500 for that camera that should have existed in the iPad in the first place. It's a great way to run a business, if you can get away with it.
But that is the case with any manufacturer, the second generation is always better than the first. If you wait one more year before buying a car, you will get more bells and whistles. Electronics just move faster: cost effective LCD TVs went from 60 Hz 720p to 240Hz 1080p (with LED backlights) in about four years.

For me, the iPad is not currently worth the investment. The 2G iPad may have those features that will change my mind. I have been using my iPodTouch more that I even thought I would.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You do realize that watching a video and surfing the net is multi-tasking?
Yes, I do. That is why I said "Hopefully, the second generation will have..."
Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post

Even if that were true why would that make a difference in terms of making a decision to buy a device? It's either what you want or need or not.
Their recent profit margin, and it has been going up for a while, is insane, currently (40% or so). Why is that? Those are the margins of a monopolist, just see Intel, Microsoft.
Apple - a monopolist with less than 10% in the desktop market etc.?
Apple has successfully created the monopoly of cool and beauty.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
If you would prefer a laptop or better, a keyboardless iPad over a Kindle to read a book, you are likely not a book reader anyway.
Actually, I'm a voracious book reader, but I prefer to read them as actual books. Not because of any paper fetish or because I love the smell of them or anything like that, but because I don't think the e-reader tech is there yet, and I'm certainly not going to pay hundreds of bucks for a single-purpose, DRM-laden device that won't fit in my pocket and from which data can be deleted remotely without my consent.

I actually saw a woman reading a Kindle on a plane a couple of weeks ago. And then the flight attendant comes on the intercom to say "We're starting our final descent, please put away your electronic devices now." So the Kindle woman shuts off her Kindle and stuffs it in her bag and pulls out an old-fashioned hardbound book and starts reading that. So apparently we're not yet at the point where e-books can actually replace paper books.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think that vendors would have started to come to a MS app store, if it had been a "feature" that was presented as an app store, with a native application for browsing applications... single click buy/install (without rebooting)... ie, a simple to use, "for the masses" service that was an icon on the desktop... just like IE. As people come to use that service for searching/installing applications... then if you are not in the list, then good luck selling your app... The MS app store would be like the walmart of software.
That's just it.. .that WAS what it was (an icon at the top of the start menu, vice on teh desktop, but that was the only difference). I think it's actual failing was that it was too early. People still bought software in boxes at that time, because they wanted permanance, and noone trusted any online retailer (even microsoft) to keep their credit card number. Those are the features that are required to make an app store function. What MS SHOULD have done is kept at it, and continue working with developers and publishing houses to get it there, but they kind of just let it slip to the back burner, and never really focused on it anymore.

Then there was all the anti-microsoft anti-trust issues around the same time, that made it so they basically weren't allowed to publish ANYTHING that there wasn't a direct competitor for (Apple never would have been able to create the 'exclusive' app store 10-12 years ago because of the mess netscape stirred up at the time).