SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Sage Icon

SSD and Sage response time

I am thinking of Upgrading my HHD from WD Black 1TB to a Cosair MLC 128GB SSD and was wondering if that would help out with Sage's slow Menu response times?
How have others faired when upgrading from Mechanical to SSD specifically with Sage?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

What makes you think your performance issues are disk-related? Does your disk activity light flash a lot during normal menu navigation? If so, your problem could be not enough RAM to hold the working set in memory.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Icon

Everything else I run flies on my machine except for Sage's UI.
I have a lot of media. About 8000 songs, 2000 movies and a little over 13000 TV episodes. So I am guessing that has something to do with it? But I am just hoping that a simple SSD upgrade might fix it....

Last edited by dvd_maniac; 02-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
SageTVaholic

My point is that guessing and hoping don't get you any closer to knowing the answer. For that you need actual troubleshooting, for instance by using Task Manager and Performance Monitor to find out how much VM you're using, how much disk activity there is, and so on. If the disk isn't the bottleneck, then replacing it with something faster won't help.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm guessing the lag is simply parsing through the massive database you've got running. I really don't think sage's db is all that optomized for THAT big of a collection. (I'm pretty sure most of use haven't spent that much money on just our music collection, let alone the movies).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
I am thinking of Upgrading my HHD from WD Black 1TB to a Cosair MLC 128GB SSD and was wondering if that would help out with Sage's slow Menu response times?
How have others faired when upgrading from Mechanical to SSD specifically with Sage?
I also bought an OCZ vertex turbo 30Gb just for the system partition for the same reason but haven't got around to installing it yet. The latest HD100/200 firmwares made some improvements though and it looks like the SSD will go elsewhere

More improvements could be on the way.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm guessing the lag is simply parsing through the massive database you've got running.
I would agree its probably the collection. However, if the OP is using sagemc he might find that it is faster with the default UI. SageMC puts A LOT of db logic (finding, filtering, sorting) in UI widget chain that gets executed several times per single display.... so it slows things down a lot. I'm not sure where the default stv puts its DB code... but i would think not in UI widget chain...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-13-2010, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, unless you're going to put all your media on SSDs, I don't think they'll do any good. From what I've gathered, once Sage reads the wiz.bin and parses the properties file, it runs almost completely out of RAM.

I should do some more investigation though because it's quite odd what actually can hold Sage up. It doesn't seem CPU bound (even on my Athlon XP it doesn't peg out the CPU), it would be really interesting to actually find out what things affect Sage's performance.

---I did just have a thought though, IIRC Sage caches thumbnails in it's install location, so it's possible that an SSD could speed thumbnail loading.