SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Win 7 client, WHS server, hdpvr issues?

Hey there,

just curious if I'm looking in the right direction here.
I upgraded my client pc from xp to win 7 ultimate. I do not use the client pc for watching sage, only to log into my whs server. I use extenders to view sage.

I noticed that the hdpvr has been acting up, stuttering, missing recordings and turning on and off every minute or so during HD recordings. This all started since the win 7 upgrade. Before, while on xp, I had no issues.

If this is the issue would it make sense to run whs console through xp mode on win 7 ?, If one is able to do this.

Cheers

2xhd300

Last edited by toony; 03-16-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

toony...your English needs work to help me understand your problem....

"I do not use the client pc for sage only to log into whs. " is not a sentence. Does this mean you have two machines, one running WHS and another that you recently upgraded to Win7? If this is the case, your studdering/missing recordings have nothing do with your "client" PC.

Please clarify the situation.....
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake550 View Post
toony...your English needs work to help me understand your problem....

"I do not use the client pc for sage only to log into whs. " is not a sentence. Does this mean you have two machines, one running WHS and another that you recently upgraded to Win7? If this is the case, your studdering/missing recordings have nothing do with your "client" PC.

Please clarify the situation.....

Bad day?

There are a lot of SageTV users who are not in the US and do not speak English as their primary language.

PS - "your English needs work to help me understand your problem...." isn't going to make your English teacher proud either. Let's not be so quick to judge others here and just stick to giving advice.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Oh man, I am fluent in English! I wrote that post on my Iphone. The stupid auto correction and my big fingers do not mix well sometimes. I tried to edit the post but a call came in and well I forgot about it.

I'm not in the U.S. - but here in Canada we do speak a form of it usually we don't need translators when conversing with our neighbours to the south.

I digress, I edited the original post.

To answer Beefcake - and to get back to the matter at hand - yes what I was saying is my client pc (the one upgraded to Win 7 from XP) is not a Sage client pc, only used for logging into and controlling my seperate Windows Home Server. So, I was asking if there is any correlation (big word for ESL) between my HD-PVR on my WHS having issues e.g. stuttering, skipping etc... and using Win 7 as a the computer to which one uses to log into their Widows home server.

For the record Sic, I did not take any offence to Beefcake's comments.

2xhd300
Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Sage Expert

Ok, yeah, it's not a great day for me at work, but no offense was intended. I was just trying to say I didn't understand the question and I was trying to parse it to make sense and needed to get clarification in order to help. I am eager to help since my setup it very much the same. - Oh, and I'm a computer engineer, so English is my second language! I am American with german, italian, slovak, czec, and austrian ethnicity.

Ok, so back to the question at hand. The client PC should be having No effect on the WHS machine which does the recording. It sounds like there is a networking issue or hard drvie issue on the WHS machine. The first thing to try is shutting down all hardware (including HD200, HD-PVR, computers, WHS machine, routers, etc.) involved and "reboot/power cycle" everything. I can't tell you how many tiems this has solved the problem for me. That said, once I got everything setup and all settings changed, I don't have to restart/pwoer cycle everything.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toony View Post
I'm not in the U.S. - but here in Canada we do speak a form of it usually we don't need translators when conversing with our neighbours to the south.

Quote:
To answer Beefcake - and to get back to the matter at hand - yes what I was saying is my client pc (the one upgraded to Win 7 from XP) is not a Sage client pc, only used for logging into and controlling my seperate Windows Home Server. So, I was asking if there is any correlation (big word for ESL) between my HD-PVR on my WHS having issues e.g. stuttering, skipping etc... and using Win 7 as a the computer to which one uses to log into their Widows home server.

For the record Sic, I did not take any offence to Beefcake's comments.
Glad to know you didn't take any offense. I wasn't trying to be a hard a$$, but I didn't think BC's post was appropriate. Asking for clarification was appropriate, but the rest of it wasn't IMHO.

Anyway, to answer your question.....

It shouldn't make any difference what OS you are using to remote into the WHS. If you are having studdering issues, it must be something else. But if you are using extenders to watch Sage, and it is studdering on the extenders, then I'd say it is probably a network issue or something wrong with the original recordings.

As a test, try copying a recorded TV show directly to the Windows7 machine. After it is moved over, try playing the file and see if there is still studdering in the same places as you see on the extender. If there are, then perhaps it is a disk issue (too fragmented, or perhaps not 64k blocks, etc). If there is no studdering, then that points to a network issue.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

ok fair enough.

I think I may be looking at a more serious issue as WHS is now reporting the failure of one of the drives. So if something has been failing that may be the cause.

2xhd300
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ok fair enough.

I think I may be looking at a more serious issue as WHS is now reporting the failure of one of the drives. So if something has been failing that may be the cause.
Look at it this way, toony: If the "recorders" (tuner or encoder) are on the WHS box, then no client PC can affect the recordings or the recorders. The clients simply don't have a need to do anything with them. Changing a channel is simply the client yelling over to the server to make the change and then the client starts playing back the file the server is now recording.

But, I think the other two pretty much covered all that. Sorry, sometimes I can't help restating things.

Anyway, the failing drive could certainly be causing your issues. The HD-PVR is very sensitive to bandwidth or other anomalies which impact the stream it's trying to record and could cause blips or freezing in the HD-PVR.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7