SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM
SageTVaholic

most common cause of communication problems?

Between the HD200 and SageTV Media Center server, what are the most common things to check for communication problems?

I've just upped my heap size to H200-D512.

I constantly get warnings on the HD200 stating that there is no signal, or that there is a playback problem, etc. Rebooting either or both tends to fix things. There is sadly no way to track why this is happening.

D-link and Netgear routers with mostly Cat 5 cabling with a maximum run between HD200 and server of maybe 70 feet of cable.

any suggestions are good ones
thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Sage Icon

Maybe try plugging a laptop into the jack that the HD200 is using. Actually use the cat5e wire that is in the back of the hd200 and run a few pings, tracert, etc.

- Maybe your cable wiring is bad, and causing u to lose packets...
- Bad port on the router....
- are both Server and hd200 on the same physical switch?
- 100 or 1000 ?
- Could something be taking over control of your network like a rogue server running in the background you don't know about? (I actually had this happen where all traffic inboud, outbound, and local was all being routed through this rogue server for some reason. This of course made my network come to a grinding hault.
- Maybe bad NIC on your HD200....

hmmm Thats about all i can think of at the moment.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
Maybe try plugging a laptop into the jack that the HD200 is using. Actually use the cat5e wire that is in the back of the hd200 and run a few pings, tracert, etc.

- Maybe your cable wiring is bad, and causing u to lose packets...
- Bad port on the router....
- are both Server and hd200 on the same physical switch?
- 100 or 1000 ?
- Could something be taking over control of your network like a rogue server running in the background you don't know about? (I actually had this happen where all traffic inboud, outbound, and local was all being routed through this rogue server for some reason. This of course made my network come to a grinding hault.
- Maybe bad NIC on your HD200....

hmmm Thats about all i can think of at the moment.
thanks - all good points.
-The router is new. A Tivo is also on this router, so they may be fighting. If so, the Tivo seems to win everytime, and has no problems.
-running 100
-no other servers I know of
-the HD200 connects to a netgear switch via a D-link switch
-the server is connected to the netgear switch directly

I just upped the java heap size, so that may help.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Sage Icon

I know your not SUPPOSE to have to do this anymore with the new autosensing switches and such, but i just recently had a problem with the dlink switch in my office.

- switch performed as if it were a 10Mbps hub
- packet loss
- incredible slow performace
- would drop connections left and right.

What i did just for kicks is I used a crossover cable to uplink it into my 24 port gigabit switch in the basement. For me...that fixed all my issues in my home office. you may want to give that a whirl. so the connection would look something like this (now this of course depends on how many physical connection you have but her eis what i got)

{office 3 computer} --------> Dlink switch via reg Cat5E cables -----> Dlink to wall jack using a crossover cable ---> cable in the wall going to the 24 port gigabit switch regular wired cat5E....

Hope that helps.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What we've got here is a failure to communicate......
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Sage Icon

HA! great flick :-)
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Sage Expert

I'd support this kind of troubleshooting.

My problems went away when my extenders were no longer hooked directly to my core switch. I put palm switches next to my extenders (which works fine as then you have extra ports for game consoles or blu-ray players with ethernet ports or what have you) and this fixed all my outstanding speed and stability issues.

My theory is that the code in the extender firmware or the built in nic has some issues with it's auto sensing of speed (and maybe more importantly duplex) and unless the wire and the device on the other end are properly friendly and stable issues arise.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiX64 View Post
I know your not SUPPOSE to have to do this anymore with the new autosensing switches and such, but i just recently had a problem with the dlink switch in my office.

- switch performed as if it were a 10Mbps hub
- packet loss
- incredible slow performace
- would drop connections left and right.

What i did just for kicks is I used a crossover cable to uplink it into my 24 port gigabit switch in the basement. For me...that fixed all my issues in my home office. you may want to give that a whirl. so the connection would look something like this (now this of course depends on how many physical connection you have but her eis what i got)

{office 3 computer} --------> Dlink switch via reg Cat5E cables -----> Dlink to wall jack using a crossover cable ---> cable in the wall going to the 24 port gigabit switch regular wired cat5E....

Hope that helps.
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have had similar issues, the thing that fixed 99% of my issues was upgrade to hp procurve gigabit switches. I rarely have any problems with my setup. A few times I kind of wondered if it was really due to my switch upgrade and I would throw some say linksys 10/100 switch into the mix and bam thwe problems returned.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

In my house it was always a cable I crimped myself. Sockets have never been a problem, but I ended up replacing all my self-made cables with factory terminated patch cables.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter69 View Post
I have had similar issues, the thing that fixed 99% of my issues was upgrade to hp procurve gigabit switches.
Lot of wisdom there.

To everyone else: There *IS* a quality difference between switches and NIC's.