SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question HD-200 and Slingbox

Dish Network has released a new receiver (ViP 922) with an internal Slingbox.

So, I was wondering if anyone has used their HD-200 to view video from a Slingbox?

Thanks,
John
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I used mine with a Slingox Solo.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
I'm using my HD-200 with a Slingbox Pro. It's so I can view Sage on my IPOD touch or HTC Touch Pro 2 phone. It also works better in a mobile environment, because Slingplayer tolerates the momentary dropouts in your Internet connection while you are moving.
Client 1, 2, 3, and 4: HD200.
NAS: Synology DS220+ 8TB (Movie Storage)
Sage Add-ons: Jetty, Neilms Webserver (Jetty), Mobile Web, Play-On Plug-in, Comskip Plug-in
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

SlingBox w/HD200?

Anybody doing it?

* merged *
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Doing what? Maybe you should elaborate on what you are actually asking.... or better yet do a search for slingbox and find out your answers....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Doing what? Maybe you should elaborate on what you are actually asking.....
I thought it was self-explainatory: Using a SlingBox to deliver output from an HD200 over an Internet connection.

Quote:
...or better yet do a search for slingbox and find out your answers....
Mea Culpa on that one: http://tinyurl.com/28d99mt

Sounds to me like it works.

It would also seem to bear on the many comments by SageTV users (myself included) to the effect that SageTV needs to develop an iPhone client.
If SlingBox/HD 200 work as I imagine/hope, the SlingBox client on an iTouch would deliver what I'm looking for - which is live TV. OTOH, I have no clue how the UI is handled over SlingBox... but just based on the assumption that live TV is available and channel switching is possible I think I'm going to give it a try.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.

Last edited by PeteCress; 07-08-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
I thought it was self-explainatory: Using a SlingBox to deliver output from an HD200.
Why? That's what placeshifter is for.

Quote:
If SlingBox/HD 200 work as I imagine/hope, the SlingBox client on an iTouch would deliver what I'm looking for - which is live TV. OTOH, I have no clue how the UI is handled over SlingBox... but just based on the assumption that live TV is available and channel switching is possible I think I'm going to give it a try.
The way I understand it, it provides an on screen remote and records whatever the connected box outputs. So you navigate a UI like your there, but with the encoding and transmitting lag.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
iPhone/iPad/iTouch
Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
I used mine with a Slingox Solo.
I'm reading the specs for Solo vs HD and can't figure out whether the solo just does not process anything that is broadcast in HD or it processes HD shows but renders them in something less than HD.

Bottom line: if a show is broadcast in HD, can your SlingBox Solo render it to your handheld device?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
I'm reading the specs for Solo vs HD and can't figure out whether the solo just does not process anything that is broadcast in HD or it processes HD shows but renders them in something less than HD.

Bottom line: if a show is broadcast in HD, can your SlingBox Solo render it to your handheld device?
The answer is yes. The difference between the Solo and the HD is the HD can encode HD. The solo will take an HD input and downscale it to 720x480. For the iPhone this doesn't matter since the screen can't render HD. [Edit: By render I mean Display. Technically, it can render both 720P and 1080i, but the display resolution is 240P (320x240)]

Last edited by mikejaner; 07-08-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

The way I understand it, it provides an on screen remote and records whatever the connected box outputs. So you navigate a UI like your there, but with the encoding and transmitting lag.
Though I agree with you in principle, I have to say the Slingbox eliminates the codec issue. I can't playback some of the TV I record via HDPVR because the Placeshifter finds a way to play it too slow, or just outright refuse. This doesn't even account for Music/Video/Internet issues with SageTV over Placeshifter.
Considering the delay/lag involved with the placeshifter, the Slingbox connected to an extender is actually a little better, or the same for the experience
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Also, the SlingBox introduces the availability of DVD/BluRay rips you wouldn't get with PS. Is the remote now bundled in the software? I do have some bin files I received from Sling once upon a time for the HD100/200 remote and the MVP but haven't been able to use my SlingBox because of poor DSL service.

B
Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Sage User

I also use a Slingbox Pro to view SageTV through an HD200 over an iPhone, it does work with one exception- which is sound for Blu Ray rips. My setup is that I use HDMI for the BitStream Audio out for the HD-200 this allows for the 5.1 DTS Audio to travel to my receiver, since the Slingbox is using analog connections, there is no sound for Blu-Ray movies when connected like this. It will produce sound for all of the other formats and files I use.

Tags
dish network, slingbox