SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Think I have reached information overload

So basically I am trying to get SageMC running with Sage Movie Wall and BMI.

I did manage to get SageMC running and Movie Wall running but the giant list of install steps for BMT is blowing my mind. Probably because I am totally new to this and there are a lot of assumptions made in the instructions or they are a bit out dated.

I am trying to follow the instructions listed here

Already got stalled out on step one since:
I had no idea what "Copy wiz.bin & sagemc_menu.xml back" meant.

and for "ONLY add back in custom properties from backup file to sage.properties"
How would I know what these are or if I had them? Would I have to have added them manually to the file?

Step 2: Check SageMC is loaded

Step 3: Install Jetty
Crap, another thing to figure out. I downloaded and copied the files over to my SageTV folder.
Now it says "Open up Sage.properties file and add "sagex.jetty.starter.Main" to the line:"

I don't have a Sage.properties file. I have various files that begin with "SageTV3_i18n***.properties". How do I know which one to modify?

Next it says to "Edit C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\jetty\etc\real.properties" Again I do not have one of these files either.

Step 4: Installing BMT
There is a note that says "** Make sure the context patch is installed **"
What does that mean? What patch? Where do I get it? Where do I install it?

Step 5: Install Phoenix
If I already have a Phoenix folder installed do I need to install this again? How can I tell what version is already installed?

Step 6:
"Install latest SageMC Beta (currently: SageMC_6_3_9b_23.zip)"
Why do we have to install the beta if in step 1 we installed SageMC? Do you still need to install the beta? What does the beta do that what we installed in step 1 does not?

I'm sure this list will go on and on once I can get to this point. If anyone can help me out and let me know if these instructions are really just convoluted or it really is all this complicated to get this setup. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

It seems like some of my confusion is coming from what I install on the SageTV server running on my WHS and what I install on my clientpc.

Should everything be installed and configured on my WHS?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

Let me try and answer some of your questions:

"Already got stalled out on step one since:
I had no idea what "Copy wiz.bin & sagemc_menu.xml back" meant."

and for "ONLY add back in custom properties from backup file to sage.properties"
How would I know what these are or if I had them? Would I have to have added them manually to the file?

The wiz.bin is located on your server install. the sagemc_menu.xml will be loacated on both your sage server as well as your client PC.

Step 3: Install Jetty
Crap, another thing to figure out. I downloaded and copied the files over to my SageTV folder.
Now it says "Open up Sage.properties file and add "sagex.jetty.starter.Main" to the line:"

Jetty will be installed ONLY on your sage Server. once jetty is installed you will be able to run web applications such as BMT and Neilms Sage Web inerface for jetty. The jetty server is a small web server that will install inside of your sage directory and allow you to access BMT as well as Neilms web interface.

I don't have a Sage.properties file. I have various files that begin with "SageTV3_i18n***.properties". How do I know which one to modify?

FOR BMT you will need to modify the sage.properties file found in your sageTV/SageTV directory on your Server install...NOT on the client. once you find that file open it up in notepad and search for run_at_startup_runable_classes.....

Next it says to "Edit C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\jetty\etc\real.properties" Again I do not have one of these files either.

This file will also be located on the SERVEr AFTER and only AFTER you install the jetty webserver plugin for Sage. Check the downloads area. If you can't find it i can provide you a list of everything you will need.

Step 4: Installing BMT
There is a note that says "** Make sure the context patch is installed **"
What does that mean? What patch? Where do I get it? Where do I install it?

Not sure on this one as i didn't have to touch this. the context though in reference to a webapplication is for example http://mysageserver.com/BMT ----- /bmt is the context.

Step 5: Install Phoenix
If I already have a Phoenix folder installed do I need to install this again? How can I tell what version is already installed?

You can tell which version of phoenix is installed by under SageMC UI on yoru TV or your server you can simply go to My Menu, Settings i believe and teh box on the right which shows your disk space, what is recording, etc will also show you whic version of things are installed. Sage TV version, sagex.jar, phoneix, etc.

I am not 100% sure on this as i no longer us client pc's and will look to someone with more experience on the forum to chim in, but i believe that you need to have the phonix APi's and the most uptodate sagemc install, beta, as well as sagex.api installed on teh server if you are going to be watchint TV on your server and want to use latest SageMC build. you will also need these installed on your client PC(s). The reason behind this is that when running a client pc it will use its own JVM as well as its own jar files to run SageTV Client. This is a bit different than using HD200/HD100 extenders in which they connect directly to the server and use the Servers JVM and all installed .jar files for rendering your UI...

Step 6:
"Install latest SageMC Beta (currently: SageMC_6_3_9b_23.zip)"
Why do we have to install the beta if in step 1 we installed SageMC? Do you still need to install the beta? What does the beta do that what we installed in step 1 does not?
The beta version of SageMC is the most up to date. It has some new jar files, as well as XML files which will utilize the latest phoenix jar, as well as the latest sagex.api jars.

Give that a shot, and let me know if you need any clarity on what i have said, download links, or i can even try and provide you step by step instructions on how to get things up and going.

Good luck!

~Pix64

Last edited by PiX64; 04-18-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. It looks like a lot of this needs to take place on the server.

The only reason I was attempting it with a pc client was because my extender hasn't shown up yet, but it should be here tomorrow and I wanted to get a head start on some configuration issues I knew I would run into.

So should the sagemc install take place on the server as well? Do the extenders read this ui configuration information from the server or is there a way to actually install configuration files onto the extender?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

If you are using an extender, then you will need to have the server setup to basically act any way that you want the extender to act. Sooo with that said you would need to installed

SageMC full install on the sage server
latest phoneix apis
sagemc beta
any additional plugins you would like such as SageMovieWall, SlimPlayer, Online Services plugin for Hulu, etc.

When you power up the extender you will need to update it to the latest beta firmware.

Once you hd200 is all up to date you will connect to ryou SageServer. The first time it loads it will load to the default STV. You can navigate into the advanced settings, and under Server settings (i think this is where it is) you can tell it to load a different STV. navigate to your SageMC.xml (it will show up in the right directory by default provided you unzipped everything correctly.) Once you select it it will ask you if you want to load it in place of the SageTV3.xml...hit yet, and viola you have SageMC on your extender...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Should be an exciting day tomorrow Thanks and I'll post any success or failures for future readers.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Sage Icon

Sndz good. Lemme know if u get stuck...