SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Waking the Sage Server

My setup has several Sage media extenders tying into a server. I've recently configured the server to go into standby mode when it's not being used. Sage will wake itself up when it has to record something.

But what I'd like to be able to do is have the server wake up when any one of the extenders tries to access the server.

Ideally that could be something built into the extender's firmware, using magic packet/wake on lan, although there would obviously be some significant latency to address. It takes my server about 45 seconds to come back from standby.

But it occurs to me it might be possible to write some network monitoring software which could send the appropriate magic packet when an extender tried to locate the sage server.

Does anyone know if there's documentation on the protocol used by the extenders to initiate communication with the Sage server?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Here is another option for people who have a windows OS running on their network while their server is sleeping;
http://wrcs.codeplex.com/
http://pingwol.codeplex.com/

It installs an application which will listen for a static IP address on your network, and when the device (Client, HD100, or HD200) comes online, the application will send the WOL magic packet to your server.

Also some people on this forum have added software to their DNS-323 NAS boxes to monitor the ports that the extenders use for a server and then send the magic packets. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...1&postcount=37

Last edited by jerryt; 10-27-2010 at 09:23 AM.