SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Sage User

Question Any chance the Hauppauge MediaMVP-HD will work with SageTV as an Extender?

It seems that Hauppauge have finally released the MediaMVP HD. It is currently available through Amazon.

The question that remains is, of course, will it work with SageTV as an extender, just as the old MediaMVP? (and also support all the new file formats, just like the HD200)

I cannot see any incentive for Sage to support this, but from a consumer point of view it would be nice - even more so when living in Europe, because it is easier (and cheaper) to purchase, mainly due to customs on items purchased outside Europe, but also because the retail price appears to be in the area of $150 (Amazon currently have them on sale for $139.99).

Read more about the MediaMVP-HD at the great HTPC blog GeekTonic where I found this information.

Last edited by Smiley; 05-03-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm not sure if its possible to run SageTV on these like the old MVPs but it probably is. But like you, I doubt the folks at SageTV would support it since they have the HD200.

I'll have a review unit to test so I'll be trying a few things out on it and let you know.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

According to my calculations you could save potentially $22 buying a MediaMVP-HD over an HD-200

I don't know if that client will work with the new HD version but it might.

The SageTV HD-200 is $179.95 + $12 Shipping ~ $192

The MediaMVP-HD will be available on amazon for $139.99 (Free Shipping)
The SageTV MVP Client software is $29.95 so total cost would be ~ $170

Potentially saving you $22
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Sage User

@Brent: Sounds great - I'll look forward to your review! Since I'm subscribing to your blog I should get it instantly :-) Great work!

@grauchy: Things are a little more complex when living in Europe :-) First the shipping is $57 to Denmark where I live. On top of that there is 12.5% tax charge and 25% VAT of both the purchase price, the tax charge and the shipping - which means that the HD200 costs me something in the area of $300 by the time it gets here. If I am able to order the MediaMVP-HD from Germany (where Hauppauge is located) the total cost will be around $150-$160.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
If I am able to order the MediaMVP-HD from Germany (where Hauppauge is located) the total cost will be around $150-$160.
I thought Hauppauge was located in Hauppauge New York?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

Appears to be multinational.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/contact/contact_us.html
Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Oh wow. I was thinking in a U.S. "bubble" again. Thanks for the link!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question: it says it will connect to Win 7 UPnP... so if you have a Centon 4 Cable Card, could you use this a an "extender"?
Hmm....
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Old 05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Question: it says it will connect to Win 7 UPnP... so if you have a Centon 4 Cable Card, could you use this a an "extender"?
Hmm....
Well, calling that an extender might be a bit of a stretch. But yes it can receive UPnP from W7.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
Hmm....
Well, you would need to be running Windows Media Center to control the cable card (see TV guide data, schedule recordings, etc.). I doubt that the Hauppauge device can access the WMC interface for this purpose. It could probably play back stuff that had been recorded from the cable card, but it probably cannot playback DRM'd material. Also, it may not recognize whatever container Windows Media Center stores its video in (even if there is no DRM).

So, my guess is that it wouldn't make a very good extender.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Sage User

Hopefully it at least brings SageTV to lower their price on the HD200 a little. there is no doubt that, after 16 months, the materials price for it has gone down significantly. Would be nice to see that reflected in current price. Prices on most consumer electronics fall after over a year on the market.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Sage User

Lightbulb

Hmmm... maybe it is not that far fetched afterall... according to this link: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/05/...-media-player/ the MediaMVP-HD runs Linux and the poster suspects that it should be possible to hack it into a Boxee or XBMC box (for someone with the right penguin skills)... so whynot a SageTV extender
Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Sage User

Can SageTV work with New Hauppauge MediaMVP HD

I was wondering if the current SageTV can it work with MediaMVP HD that was just released? Are both the SageTV HD and MediaMVP HD the same type of unit? Can they coexist?

* merged *
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

What news?

Brent,
did you get your chance to demo the review unit of the MediaMVP-HD that was sent to you? would love to hear if it was compatible with sagetv as it is now instock at amazon and I wanted to purchase....also, would the old media-mvp sagetv license work if that device is removed and the new HD-mvp put in its place or do we have to get another license from sagetV?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericft View Post
Brent,
did you get your chance to demo the review unit of the MediaMVP-HD that was sent to you? would love to hear if it was compatible with sagetv as it is now instock at amazon and I wanted to purchase....also, would the old media-mvp sagetv license work if that device is removed and the new HD-mvp put in its place or do we have to get another license from sagetV?
Well I have one and I am using it right now. I also have SageTV on the old MediMVP which I use daily. I've rig up both MediaMVP old and MediaMVP HD side by side. I still enjoy using SageTV on my old MediaMVP. The new MediaMVP HD is awful when it comes to listing videos recorded from SageTV or videos you have over the Windows 7 network. Have to scroll and wait a second. USB using the WD 250GB Passport works great. But then again you have scroll and look for what you want. Text listing is large but get cuts off. I don't see anything in the base setup to change the fonts.

I hope the SageTV engineers can make this box into SageTV Extender otherwise just going to be a box sitting on a shelve. But other than that the unit does show 1080P on 1080p HDTV wonderful. The unit does come with HDMI cable and CAT5e cable (5FT) Same remote control but the 45-button not the old 23-button one.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

so if you unplug the mediamvp and leave the new Hd version connected, does it log into sagetv as an extender?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Sage Icon

I'll take a stab at it and say most likely not. The old MVP's pull their firmware from the Sage box, and it's specifically written for that hardware. The new MVP is an entirely different animal, but does bear a striking resemblance to the HD200. Note that I don't have a MVP HD, but common sense says it won't work. Like trying to run Windows 7 on a old Mac Plus...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericft View Post
so if you unplug the mediamvp and leave the new Hd version connected, does it log into sagetv as an extender?
Nope, because it doesn't require to use any Hauppauge MediaMVP Server software and thus it doesn't seem to notice that SageTV MC is running. I have purchased SageTV MVP Client licenses for MediaMVP SD. Not all are connected though. So I didn't think that SageTV would pick up the MediaMVP HD. Would be nice but it didn't work. The hardware works with Windows 7 shares, but uses Windows Search (Index) and 7 UPnP. To me it can't find the SageTV Recorded TV folder. By default that gets place in C:\Users\User Name\Recorded TV or My Video since I had added another SATA II dedicated for Recorded TV. I'll have to figure out why it's not sync-up?

Last edited by CoolheadAl; 05-20-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I'll take a stab at it and say most likely not. The old MVP's pull their firmware from the Sage box, and it's specifically written for that hardware. The new MVP is an entirely different animal, but does bear a striking resemblance to the HD200. Note that I don't have a MVP HD, but common sense says it won't work. Like trying to run Windows 7 on a old Mac Plus...
I have them side by side on the network. True I didn't think it was going to work since the software doesn't support the code. I know when it loads it tries to load something from the network so it could be trying to pickup SageTV I see a green screen first before the words MediaMVP HD loads. Again no CD/DVD was in the box. The unit is independent of a PC. It has Services which is Internet media like Youtube. That doesn't seem to work. I'll have to figure out what's going on?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Sage User

Unhappy Damn

This doesn't sound pleasing... from your findings it seems that a new firmware could be required to get it to work with SageTV, and although that is probably possible i will perhaps be some time before it appears... Damn damn...

Thanks for your time guys - keep up the good work - hopefully it will be solved soon.

@Brent: Would you happen to have an ETA on the article about the MediaMVP-HD - or is your calendar all filled up with the new V7 release? (I know mine is )

Tags
europe, extender, hauppauge mvp hd