SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm finishing up the review of the MediaMVP HD as I type this - so hopefully this coming week I'll have it on GeekTonic.

Regarding the questions about using it as a SageTV extender. I don't think the old MVP software will work on this thing. I do think someone knowledgeable about Linux and such might be able to make a firmware to do the job with this thing, but I'd much rather use a supported extender with SageTV personally.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm finishing up the review of the MediaMVP HD as I type this - so hopefully this coming week I'll have it on GeekTonic.

Regarding the questions about using it as a SageTV extender. I don't think the old MVP software will work on this thing. I do think someone knowledgeable about Linux and such might be able to make a firmware to do the job with this thing, but I'd much rather use a supported extender with SageTV personally.
Have you popped the case off an MVP-HD and an HD200? Are they the same hardware? Does "dmesg" in a linux shell in both the MVP-HD and the HD200 show the same h/w present? If yes, then for $119 at NewEgg and no HD200 stock, it might be worth trying to flash the HD200 f/w onto the MVP-HD. At worst you've got a $119 brick, at best an HD200.

Drew
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure the Hauppauge guys that game me that MVP-HD would like me doing that. I will compare the two to see if similar but if my memory serves me well (I did pop off the MediaMVP-HD cover) I don't think so.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

would be real nice if these were supported. there are going for about ~$87 on amazon right now.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, but I am pretty sure they are nothing more than HD200's so the new HD300's are faster plus you would end up having to buy a license for $30 (like back when the original MediaMVP's were supported). Now you are already upto $117 for a device that is slower and less capable than what Sage is offering for $150. When the HD200 was $180 it made sense, now it really doesn't.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Question

Are there any news about SageTV and MediaMVP-HD?

I'm very interested to use this combination.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Sage User

for all non-us residents it really would be nice for having the possibility to buy hardware around the corner plus paying license fees to sage so in case of a hardware defect there would be that much expenses and efforts in sending hardware back to th US.

I own a hd200 and would like to have at least 2 more of them - i really would like to pay for licenses and using a MediMVP-HD ..

I already tried to find some more guys from germany for buying a couple of extenders in german forum - there just on ONE reply.

Germans seem to be very mistrustful and probably expect a 2-Year warranty even from a centralized order by somebody ...

Regards from Germany
-> hoping, Sage will supply Hauppauge MediaMVP-HD one time
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppauge Media MVP HD "stopgap extender"?

Anyone have any experience with Hauppauge's Media MVP HD? Could it possibly be used as a makeshift extender for those unwilling to pay the exorbitant ebay prices caused by panic buying of HD300s? Possibly by using Sages's web server, could we achieve something approaching the extender experience?

I have no idea how this could be done, but throw this out as food for thought for our ingenious developer community.

* merged *
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
Anyone have any experience with Hauppauge's Media MVP HD? Could it possibly be used as a makeshift extender for those unwilling to pay the exorbitant ebay prices caused by panic buying of HD300s? Possibly by using Sages's web server, could we achieve something approaching the extender experience?

I have no idea how this could be done, but throw this out as food for thought for our ingenious developer community.
I can't really see the Hauppauge box being used...haven't seen any word of it being hacked or customized at all (very unlike the original MediaMVP).

I'm thinking a device with a built-in browser would be a better fit (e.g. the LG ST600 or the Viewsonic VMP75).
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalbik View Post
I can't really see the Hauppauge box being used...haven't seen any word of it being hacked or customized at all (very unlike the original MediaMVP).
One of the reasons that I posted is that the the Hauppauge Web site indicates that it is customizable:

Quote:
Frequently asked questions about developing a custom application for MediaMVP-HD

MediaMVP-HD is Linux "box" where new applications can be added. Hauppauge has provided a variety of mechanisms by which the product can be extended by hobbyists and commercial parties looking to do customization.
Even a customized Media MVP HD with half the features of the HD 200 or 300 would be better than nothing.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
One of the reasons that I posted is that the the Hauppauge Web site indicates that it is customizable
Exactly. I don't see why this should be more difficult than a PC-based Client install ...
Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here is a link to the developer FAQ for the MVP HD...

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/softw...erview-1.2.pdf

Based on this, I don't think you could get it to act as an extender without somehow hacking the firmware. You can load your own apps on the the MVP and have them control it via a CLI, but the components of the firmware appear to be proprietary. So if you installed SageTV client, I am not sure how it would access the video playback hardware, IR receiver, etc.

I am not a programmer so maybe I am totally wrong on this but that's what I took away from the FAQ.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Sage User

Anyone using an Hauppauge MediaMVP-HD unit?

Just happened to check out their site and noticed this has been added. I currently use the MediaMVP SD model (x4).

http://www.hauppauge.com/pics/mediamvphd_top.jpg

Link to product here.

Interested if anyone has it and if existing licenses/SageTV extender program works? My gut says NO since the Google take over.

Thanks

* merged *
Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
SageTVaholic

This has been out for a while, and no, it doesn't work as a sagetv extender.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Did you try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyman View Post
Just happened to check out their site and noticed this has been added. I currently use the MediaMVP SD model (x4).

http://www.hauppauge.com/pics/mediamvphd_top.jpg

Link to product here.

Interested if anyone has it and if existing licenses/SageTV extender program works? My gut says NO since the Google take over.

Thanks

* merged *
Did you try the Hauppauge MediaMVP-HD as a replacement for your MVP SD models? I can't imagine paying the over $300 prices the SageTV HD 200 and HD 300 are going for on ebay. Just checking to see if you or ANYONE has tried using this recently.

Tags
europe, extender, hauppauge mvp hd