SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

USB-UIRT isn't working

I am new to the USB-UIRT and I got the HD-PVR installed and it is capturing CNN. Although it thinks it is a different channel but for some reason it isn't relaying IR to the box. I programmed the remote in the setup. It is a H23 from DirecTV and I believe I followed the setup properly. I tried two different emitters to the box and still no channel change. I am running win2k3 if it makes a difference but the USB-UIRT seems to receive IR commands when I point the remote at it so I know it is powered and seems to be functioning. I don't know how to test the device outside of SageTV and I don't know if I am missing some linking between the the HDPVR and the USB-UIRT. I have a HD Homerun that is functioning without incident but of course doesn't use the USB-UIRT.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

Neil
Old 05-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

Do you see any IR coming out of the emitters when you change the channel using SageTV? You can use a digital camera's view finder to watch the emitter as you change channels. If there is IR being emitted, then it is probably the wrong set of IR codes and you STB is ignoring them.

If there is no IR being emitted, then we have narrowed down the problem.

PS - If you haven't rebooted the system since installing the USB-UIRT and trying to get it to work in Sage, I would recommend that you do that. Many times it takes a reboot for everything to work together the first time.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

I didn't reboot but I did stop the service and to try the debugging tool from the USB-UIRT site but it wasn't very intuitive. I ended up unplugging and plugging back in the USB-UIRT and it started working! Pretty cool!

Thanks!

Neil
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

If you need to troubleshoot the USB-UIRT again in the future, you should download the free, small, stand-alone utility called LrnHelper. You can send digits from your remote, receive them with the USB-UIRT using LrnHelper. Then with LrnHelper, you can transmit the digits. All of this can be done independently of SageTV. So, you could hook a set top box up to a TV and isolate the problem independently of SageTV.

You can also use LrnHelper to get each line of code used in the IR file, independently of SageTV.

The USB-UIRT has 3 zones too, so you can hook up 3 set top boxes. If each set top box has different IR codes, you can run many more than 3 set top boxes with only one USB-UIRT.

I attached more infomration about the multiple zone hookup.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png USB-UIRT Multi Zone Wiring Diagram.png (66.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: png USB-UIRT Multi Zone Wiring Diagram2.png (199.0 KB, 210 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

yes I read that in a different thread and went to "The Shack" today to purchase the stereo to mono splitter.

I am trying to figure out how to run two HD-PVR's BUT I am still having general issues with my first HD-PVR and the USB-UIRT. I am having some reliability issues...
Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Sage Icon

Make sure you are using the version 1.0.5.301 driver, not the newest driver. Hook up the HD-PVR with a short USB cable, possibly to a separate USB PCI or PCI-e card. Cover up the IR lens on the HD-PVR with black electrical tape. Remove the HD-PVR cover to reduce any heat buildup.

I wired two IRs to a metal jacketed stereo connector that I bought from Radio Shack. The stereo connector is plugged into the USB-UIRT. The set top boxes will need to be optically isolated from each other if they use the same IR codes.

Dave
Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 AM

Just bought a USB_UIRT since I was having issues with my HDPVR blaster and now having trouble transmitting from it in SageTv. Can send and receive using the LrnHelper, but no luck with SageTV. I'd programmed Sage with the remote. Nothing. Can you help? Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage Icon

More recently, I've used the latest HD-PVR driver with success, so you could try updating the HD-PVR driver.

You can create or modify your own IR file with the USB Helper program. You will need to generate one line at a time for each button that will be listed in the IR file. Paste the each code line into the IR file, replacing the other button codes. I can't remember how you select the IR file within SageTV, I'd have to check into that again.

If LrnHelper can transmit the IR codes, then SageTV should be able to do it too.

Dave
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Wow, can't believe it! The latest HDPVR driver that I had orignally tried worked this time. Since then I waited for a UIRT to arrive, bought a licence for girder. and now thanks to you I try reinstalling the hdpvr driver and now it works beautifully. Wasted two weeks tinkering with this thing! Sorry for the rant.

Appreciate the help!
Mac
Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

You should take an image of your C drive now. If the system fails, you can easily recover. If the install is flaky, recovering with an image is the quickest and most reliable method. If you're using WHS, your're out of luck, you can't take an image.

Dave
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Good idea. Done. Sure don't know if I could get back to this place.
Any ideas how to make the hdpvr more stable? after about 2-3 hrs of continuous recording it gives me the BSOD or at the least, locks SageTv.
Thanks again.
Mac