SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Sage User

Angry HD Theater Won't Connect To Wireless LAN (yes, firmware updated)

I just bought the HD Theater, and I know that it doesn't have the right firmware to use the Encore USB adapter that Sage sells on their website.

I updated the firmware to the latest production version and got the option to use the wireless adapter. The problem is that it will not connect to my network, simply stating that it's timing out (after only about 30 seconds). I see my wireless network on the list, and used the correct WEP key. I also know that the adapter works fine, since I tested it with my laptop.

I also updated to the latest beta firmware, and the results were the same.

The device works great with the wired lan, but I need wireless so I can use it in the basement. My wife won't let me run a wire up there because "it's too messy." I've been trying to get this working for hours without success.

Please help!!!
HTPC Black Aluminum Case, Athlon X2 6000+ 3Ghz processor, ASUS M2R32-MVP580X CrossFire AM2, 2gigs DDR2 800 dual-channel ram, MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus 512MB GDDR4, 1 500gig SATA drive, 1 330 gig SATA drive, Happauge HVR-1600 tuner card, ATI Wonder tuner card (hey, I had it in the closet), SageTV ver.6.2 w/ SageMC.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Well my guess is your use of WEP. I know one of the BETA versions supposedly fixed this (and then subsequent releases since should have the fix in it as well). Personally , I would recommend getting away from WEP since it can be broken with regularly available tools in less than a minute anymore. You might as well be running without a password!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Sage User

OK, so I worked around the problem and am posting for the aid of others.

I read in a different thread that WEP may be an issue. So I disabled WEP, and viola, the HD Theater easily connected to the network. Side note, there was a lot of hesitation and the video was unwatchable, but moving the device, literally, a few inches to the side completely solved the problem (I know that many others have had this problem, and you should note that interference can be neutralized).

The next issue was a completely unsecure wireless lan. I didn't want to screw with WPA, since I anticipated similar problems. So I just hard-coded the MAC addresses for the only 4 devices that will ever have any business accessing my wireless lan as part of the "allowed" list (all others will be blocked).
HTPC Black Aluminum Case, Athlon X2 6000+ 3Ghz processor, ASUS M2R32-MVP580X CrossFire AM2, 2gigs DDR2 800 dual-channel ram, MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus 512MB GDDR4, 1 500gig SATA drive, 1 330 gig SATA drive, Happauge HVR-1600 tuner card, ATI Wonder tuner card (hey, I had it in the closet), SageTV ver.6.2 w/ SageMC.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 PM

MAC address control is even weaker than WEP. All that one would need to do it sniff the packets that are being transmitted back and forth on your lan and clone one of the MAC's. Now we're talking access in seconds not minutes!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Sage Icon

Go with WPA. Everything supports it now and it is harder to crack than WEP. Certainly don't expect your network to be secure by simply using MAC address filters.

Any particular reason why you don't want to use WPA? This isn't 1999anymore. WPA is universally accepted now. Just make sure you use a strong password, because even WPA can be brute forced if you use a weak password.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

WPA2-AES is the best option to go with, since you won't take as big of a performance hit as you do with WPA-TKIP, and even worse with WEP.

The other consideration is if you have mixed clients running on your wireless. If you have both Wireless G and Wireless N clients connected to your router the Wireless N clients will run at Wireless G speeds to give them opportunity to communicate with the router.

Here is the article that supports these statements. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ding-to-80211n

Hope this helps,
Protoman

- 1x HD 300
- 2x HD 200

Tags
encore, hd theater, time out, wireless