SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Firewire has to be reset...

In the last two months I've migrated from my longstanding R5000 setups (2 boxes) to HD-PVR using Firewire tuning on two FIOS HD units. This has been really stable for me except for one very annoying factor. The Firewire tuning will just stop working sometimes within 24hrs (sometimes it could take up to several days). Firewire will stop working on both units pretty much at the same time. To get firewire working again I can either reboot WHS or unplug/plug the firewire cable back in to the box.

Has anyone else ran in to this problem? I don't see anywhere in WHS where my firewire ports could be going to sleep. As a temp fix I had my WHS box set to reboot every night. This works most of the time however there have been one or two instances where the last show recorded sometimes doesn't tune.

I've used EXETunerplugin and last night moved to FWChannelProxy to see if that would help.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Same problem here I think.

For the last months I have with regular intervals lost connection to one or both of my firewire tun-ers. The tuners simply disappear from the systems device list. I have to reboot to fix it.

Haven't nailed the problem yet, but leaving my server on 24/7 seems at least reduce the problem. My plan is to make af clean install soon.

Do you let your server go to standby?
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I'm seeing the devices disappear from device manager when firewire tuning drops off. I can then either reboot or unplug/plub the firewire cables and the connection will come back for a while.

I'm running WHS 24/7 without the server going in to standby at any time.

Luckily it's summer and most of the series we record are in rerun mode. Otherwise the WAF would have dropped more than it has already. I'm loving the speed of the firewire tuning but am contemplating digging my usbuirt out of storage...
Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

The only thing I haven't tried is a clean-install of the OS. It might be one of the automatic updates that messed up. I think it happend in January or February

Can you post some info about your system?
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by camTexas View Post
In the last two months I've migrated from my longstanding R5000 setups (2 boxes) to HD-PVR using Firewire tuning on two FIOS HD units. This has been really stable for me except for one very annoying factor. The Firewire tuning will just stop working sometimes within 24hrs (sometimes it could take up to several days). Firewire will stop working on both units pretty much at the same time.
It sounds like you have a brand new FIOS setup so this may not be your problem but how old is your ONT? I started having the same problem with loss of firewire connection a couple of months ago. I couldn't figure out what was causing it since the firewire connection had been rock solid up to then. About a month later, I started losing channels on my set top box. FIOS service came out and determined that my ONT was going bad and I wasn't getting a consistently adequate signal from the ONT to the set top box. I assume that when the STB would lose the signal from the ONT it somehow corrupted firewire communication with the box and this communication wasn't restored until I manually reset it. In any event, they replaced the ONT and firewire channel changing has gone back to being rock solid.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi JerryB

Sorry, but could you please explain. What is an ONT? optical network terminal?

Rasmus

Last edited by rtengvad; 06-23-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtengvad View Post
Hi JerryB

Sorry, but could you please explain. What is an ONT? optical network terminal?

Rasmus
Yes, ONT is the optical network terminal. It would apply to camTexas, who has FIOS, I don't know whether it applies to you or not. With FIOS, the signal coming to user's house is fiber optic. The fiber optic cable plugs into an ONT on the outside of just inside the user's house. The ONT takes the fiber optic signal and converts it to a standard electrical signal that is then transmitted via coax to the set top box. This way, Verizon can use standard set top boxes in their optical network.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
It sounds like you have a brand new FIOS setup so this may not be your problem but how old is your ONT? ...In any event, they replaced the ONT and firewire channel changing has gone back to being rock solid.
My FIOS TV is new (just left a Dish/R5000 setup) but I'm sure my ONT is a couple of years old as I've had FIOS for phone/internet for quite a while. I'm not seeing any channels lost. Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot the ONT? (Guess a Google search is in order )