SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

bluray ripping

Is there a native Linux way to rip a BD for playback in an HD100? Or is the best way AnyDVD HD running in a Windows VM?

I've been trying to avoid the whole DRM infested world of bluray as long as possible, but now my kid is starting to get these dual dvd/bd movies from Pixar, and I'd like to actually watch the BD version without yet another box at the TV, and forced ads.

Thanks,

Drew
Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure AnyDVDHD is going to be your best bet. Keep in mind, that there are SOME BluRay's that push the limits of the HD100, so there are times you might get some stuttering.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

you ever try this? http://www.makemkv.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 01:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
you ever try this? http://www.makemkv.com/
Okay, true, but I'm not sure it MakeMKV will run in Wine or not. May still have to run the VM for that.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Linux version here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure you need WINE or a VM, seems to be a version of MakeMKV for Linux. Anyone tried it?

MakeMKV 1.5.8 for Linux is available

MakeMKV Linux Forums
Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Ahh.. cool.. never noticed that.. (it's not in the downloads section, just windows and OS X), if it works, that would definately be the best bet (if you're looking to just get the titles out, not rip the whole disc w/ menus and such)

Old 07-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Sage Icon

Sweet! I'll try that when the BD drive arrives. All I want is the main feature, so it sounds like that should be fine. Thanks for the pointer!

BTW, does anybody here actually use it, or will I be first?

Drew
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Not I, no BD yet. I also have AnyDVD HD perpetual and would likely use that when I do.

B
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

The BD disk arrived, and I ripped my first disc last night (Toy Story) with makemkv. I just found the main feature, and checked all the boxes for all the audio/subtitle tracks. The feature seemed to rip just fine.

The only drawback is that the disc does not play on my HD100.
It plays fine on an Nvidia ION nettop (tried boxee & mythtv). On the HD100 it just stops after a few seconds. If I change the audio track to the AC3 english, it will play a bit more (while the audio menu is still up), then either pause, or exit me back to the videos menu. I posted about it in the media extender topic: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...8&postcount=15

Is it possible that the HD100 just cannot play my rip? Are there any suggested ffmpeg command lines to reduce the bitrate?

On the other hand, does anybody have an arm ethtool binary? I'd like to see if ethernet flow control is enabled on the HD100 & take a look at the hardware counters.

Drew
Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I would submit a bug report on this. Although, I can't recall whether the HD100 has the oompf to do this or not?

B
Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

It's hit or miss on whether the HD100 can playback the streams or not. I believe FULL blu-ray is beyond it's capabilities, though most blurays discs are encoded below full bitrates. I'm sure there are plenty of encoders that could shrink it down a bit, and still have very good results, just realize that the processing time will be quite long.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It's hit or miss on whether the HD100 can playback the streams or not. I believe FULL blu-ray is beyond it's capabilities, though most blurays discs are encoded below full bitrates. I'm sure there are plenty of encoders that could shrink it down a bit, and still have very good results, just realize that the processing time will be quite long.
How do I tell what the max bitrate is? I'm guessing they are VBR, so you'd need to look at the entire mkv to see what the max bitrate is. FWIW. the discs I've got to play with are some Toy Story 1/2 discs, and Ponyo (all kids movies). I ordered the BBC's Planet Earth, but it is not yet here to play with.

Drew
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I would submit a bug report on this. Although, I can't recall whether the HD100 has the oompf to do this or not?

B
I think that the HD100s are known to be on the edge of having the oomph and I don't think BD rips are officially supported on the HD100, so I doubt Sage would want to help.

Drew
Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

To recap, I can get BDs to play on my HD100 when ripping via linux using makemkv. Ripping works just fine.

The only problem seems to be the presence of DTS Master audio in the mkv, which causes my HD100 to misbehave (play a few seconds & stop). Ripping just the AC3 into the mkv results in a working mkv. However, the AC3 audio as found on my son's Disney/Pixar discs I've ripped so far was useless (director's commentary, visually impaired commentary).

So I used clownbd to direct eac3to & tsmux to convert the DTS Master audio to AC3. That worked! (I accidentally had the output selected as a BD tree the first time I tried, and I left it there). I could not get clownbd to run under wine 1.0 or 1.2. I tried to run eac3to manually under wine, and then use a native tsmuxer to re-mux the results, but that failed (resulting file would not play; crashed hd100).

So, right now, I rip natively, then use clownbd to convert the audio. Maybe my next BD (Planet Earth) will have the main track available as AC3, and I'll be able to skip the clownbd step (which takes 2x as long as ripping).

Drew
Old 09-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the help in this thread, Ive been looking at how to rip blu-rays for awhile and im going to take your ideas and try them tonight.