SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Question FTA satellite support????

Hi!

I am trying Sage TV out for the trial.

What I have is two tuner cards in one pc.
they are:

1. Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2
2. Hauppauge Computer Works : WinTV-HVR-1250

I am currently using a very clumsy and unfriendly TV app my ex husband installed on the pc called "my theater".

I really do not like the app for many reasons.

However, it do treat both tuner cards seamlessly as if they were a single tuner. I can use the Hauppage remote control to change channels between the TV antenna and the satellites at will. I have numbers assigned to everything and I can key in a number on the remote and go to any channel, any time, antenna or satellite.

I have four satellite dishes aimed at four satellites. One of the dishes has two wires coming out into the switch because it uses an old fashioned lnb.

So the four dishes require require 5 switch inputs. That said, I am using an 8 x 1 switch, all the ports on it are uncommitted. I may add additional dishes in the future. I do intend to add a Cband dish onto the switch before the year is out. So the 8x1 switch MUST remain, it is required.

I have no problems with the my theater app using the switch at all, it works great.

So, I installed the trial of Sage and it sees the two tuner cards.
It scanned the OTA tuner and found the local TV channels by my antenna.

BUT, it does not have any provision anywhere in any settings that I can find that allow me to configure the satellite tuner card for anything other than a half dozen pre-defined satellites. No place to set the switch settings, the LNB settings, nothing.

Please tell me there is something that can let me change this to work with the FTA satellites I use?

I receive KU satellite from AMC-21, AMC-4, Galaxy-19 and AMC-9.
Galaxy 19 has the H & V wires run into two separate ports on the switch because of the old style LNB.

And as I mentioned, I want to be able to add a Cband satellite dish later this year and maybe another KU FTA satellite.

I like the Sage app in general, it looks pretty cool but if I can't use it to get my FTA satellites then I can't use it.

I'm really unhappy with the my theater app..

I'm not an expert by any means, I'm struggling to learn all this and what little I do know I learned with a LOT of mentoring from the FTA groups. My skills and knowledge is very limited on this stuff.

Can someone please help me to get my FTA satellites working??

Thank you!

edit: Oh, also, when I got sage to work with the TV tuner it would only operate via mouse and keyboard, it failed to operate with my remote control, and the remote control DOES work perfectly in the my theater app.

Last edited by Dee_Ann; 08-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Sage Icon

Welcome!

What you want to achieve is doable but there's quite a bit of work to do.

First thing you have to do is edit the PredefinedDVBS.frq file in the sagetv folder to add the satellites you want and the frequencies of the channels you want.

I believe that the 8way Diseqc switch you have is not supported so you will have to use a 4way DiseqC switch for now and add a second 2way or 4way later.
You can confirm this by asking sagetv support if the 8way is supported.

The idea is that you will get your 4 dishes connected to 1 switch and the cable coming out of it will go to the Nova S2. This way you will be able to watch or record one channel at a time from any of the 4 satellites.

Later, to connect the other 2 satellites you will need an extra DVB-S card.

After you get this working then you will need to configure the epg. Maybe you will be able to use the built-in epg data and map it to the satellite channels but someone else from the US will need to help here.

As far as the remote control goes, I suspect the IR receiver you have now may not be supported but you will need to confirm this with Sagetv support.

If it is not, you can use an MS Media Center remore and IR receiver which is supported or get a USB-UIRT receiver which supports any remote.

Hope this get's you started.