SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Sage User

Change request: Client pause and rebuffer

I have been working with Placeshifter with Sage and my HDPVR for around two years and with the latest round of betas coming out, I thought now would be as good a time as any to air a complaint and suggest a feature for the Placeshifter clients.

In my setup (Q6600 quad core CPU, 2Mbps upstream) the limiting factor with transcoding HDPVR files appears to be CPU. No matter how I set Sage's transcoding settings (auto, or anywhere from 100-2000kbps) I always end up with a bad stutter when the Placeshifter buffer drops under 3 seconds. The one feature that allows me to use Placeshifter at all is to hit pause and wait for the buffer to get to at least 30 seconds (and with the buffering changes in the latest beta, this does work quite well, video is very smooth until the buffer drops back to around 3 seconds)

Can a feature be added to Placeshifter to perform this task automatically? IE if the Placeshifter buffer drops below a certain size or time (3 seconds in my case, but user definable would be great) pause and rebuffer until its back to 30-60 seconds (again preferably a user definable time or size).

I would much rather spend a few seconds rebuffering then have Placeshifter struggling to play the stream from the transcoder when the buffer is empty, it just yields unwatchable stuttering audio/video.

Thanks!

-Adam
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Sage

That's not a bad idea and shouldn't be difficult to implement. We'll look into it.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Sage User

Thank you for the quick reply! I look forward to seeing this feature, greatly anticipating not manually intervening every few minutes to pause and rebuffer