SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Sage My Movies
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sage My Movies This forums is for discussing the user-created Sage My Movies for SageTV.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

MiltiDisk and boxed sets confusion

With apologies for asking a dumb question but i have read the wiki and many posts on this sub-forum and i am still confused about the bets way to set up multiple disk sets/series.

If i use the multi-disk approach i seem to get a single icon for the show in the sideways and genre views which is what i want. When i select this however i get a "Please select the disk you wish to play" screen. This contains a list and more than 6 or 7 discs falls off the bottom. (i saw this bug was fixed in the API does it need an update to the UI before i will work?) Also selecting one of the disks from the list just gives me the COD

Alternatively, if i use the boxed set feature i get a single entry in the sideways view (if i set it for boxed sets) but in Genre i see all of the individual disks. This has the advantage that i can see if the individual discs have been watched so it is easier to keep track of where i am, but i was hoping the genre view would also give me a single entry for the set and then let me drill down to the individual disk level. Am i missing a way to view genres in boxed mode?

What is the preferred way manage multi disks? is it possible to view the watched status (and/or track the current/last position in the set) when using this feature?

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc View Post
With apologies for asking a dumb question but i have read the wiki and many posts on this sub-forum and i am still confused about the bets way to set up multiple disk sets/series.

If i use the multi-disk approach i seem to get a single icon for the show in the sideways and genre views which is what i want. When i select this however i get a "Please select the disk you wish to play" screen. This contains a list and more than 6 or 7 discs falls off the bottom. (i saw this bug was fixed in the API does it need an update to the UI before i will work?) Also selecting one of the disks from the list just gives me the COD

Alternatively, if i use the boxed set feature i get a single entry in the sideways view (if i set it for boxed sets) but in Genre i see all of the individual disks. This has the advantage that i can see if the individual discs have been watched so it is easier to keep track of where i am, but i was hoping the genre view would also give me a single entry for the set and then let me drill down to the individual disk level. Am i missing a way to view genres in boxed mode?

What is the preferred way manage multi disks? is it possible to view the watched status (and/or track the current/last position in the set) when using this feature?

Thanks in advance for the help
Multidisc and boxsets are two different things.

Some terminology:
A multidisc set is something like, a season of a television show, where you have one title that spans multiple discs.

A boxset is something like the Rambo Trilogy. It is a box containing individual titles.

In the collection manager a multidisc set has more than one disc shown when you click the disc icon.

A boxset is created using the boxset button near the bottom of the collection management screen.

"This contains a list and more than 6 or 7 discs falls off the bottom."
This was fixed in the last update.

Boxsets can be viewed in two different ways. I normally use the wall view so I can only speak for that. In wall view you can view a boxset in two ways. You can view it as just the container or the movies expanded out.

When viewing just the container. to go with our example above, you would see the Rambo Trilogy cover. Selecting that cover would expand that out to another view showing the movies contained in that boxset.

When viewing all the movies expanded out, you would see the container movie (Rambo Trilogy Box) and the contained movies (Rambo 1,2, & 3) each as separate entities.

Did that clear up some of the confusion?

Last edited by medwynd; 09-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the input. while it does help to understand the reason for the terminology it still leaves some questions for me about the functional differences. I think Boxed sets as you describe are operating the same way for me in Sideways view as you describe in the wall view. I am happy with this operation even if its not being used as intended .... so far so good..... however in Genre view i havent found the way to have the boxed set appear as a single entity that can be drilled down....perhaps i need a custom view for this..? i welcome hints or instructions.

For the multi disk falling off the bottom of the list i had updated both to 7.0.16 and the latest available plugin before doing this.... i will try uninstalling and re installing the plugin to make sure its all updated.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

What you see in the views is based on what your settings for videos are in the view "Boxed" or "allboxed" will show them boxed unboxed will show them unboxed.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Close but no banana as they say in the old country ...

After a full uninstall and re-install the multi disk falling off the bottom has indeed been fixed... not sure if another plugin was getting in the way when i first tried this but its ok now.

I am still having a problem seeing the "Boxed View" when in a Genre. Note it is working correctly if i am using the other views (ie not Genre).

When viewing a genre the options seems to show i have all videos boxed set but i am seeing the individual disks not the holding title with the ability to drill down.

As an aside i tried generating a filter of a Genre to see if that worked.... it does .... however the filter result displayed does not have all the movies the show up when the same filter is run in movie collector ?? ?? is there another layer of filtering hiding in SMM somewhere?

I am sure it is operator error on my end i cant seem to get it....

Suggestions welcome
Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoc View Post
Close but no banana as they say in the old country ...

After a full uninstall and re-install the multi disk falling off the bottom has indeed been fixed... not sure if another plugin was getting in the way when i first tried this but its ok now.

I am still having a problem seeing the "Boxed View" when in a Genre. Note it is working correctly if i am using the other views (ie not Genre).

When viewing a genre the options seems to show i have all videos boxed set but i am seeing the individual disks not the holding title with the ability to drill down.
Correct they don't show ad boxed in genre views as that would require a third level of drilldown support which I didn't code or probably won't. For me I didn't want to drilldown in a drilldown view.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Understood so it is currently working as designed. Thats good to know.

Thanks for the great plugin BTW its really one of the best addins for sage