SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Sage User

BMT Walkthrough

Is there a walkthrough for installing and using either of the BMT tools. I tried SageMyMovies and was able to get installed, but every time I accessed Mymovies under videos it froze the Sage program and had to end program to get it working again. I figured I would give this a try, but could not find a detailed walkthrough. Is there a plugin that works out of the box? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1475 View Post
Is there a walkthrough for installing and using either of the BMT tools. I tried SageMyMovies and was able to get installed, but every time I accessed Mymovies under videos it froze the Sage program and had to end program to get it working again. I figured I would give this a try, but could not find a detailed walkthrough. Is there a plugin that works out of the box? Any help is greatly appreciated.
What are your wanting the plugin to do?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Sage User

Just looking to get fanart for kids DVD's. Not a huge collection, probably between 100-200 movies.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Well, if you've installed BMT, and the files are already imported, best bet would be to use the BMT Web interface (which is really the plugin you should install). Then, in the BMT web interface (http://SERVERNAME:8080/bmt) you should be able to browse and update metadata for the items. This, in itself, will not make the fanart viewable, there are other UI Mod plugins that will accomplish this.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Sage User

[QUOTE=Fuzzy;448680]Then, in the BMT web interface (http://SERVERNAME:8080/bmt) [quote=Fuzzy;448680]

Can I copy and paste that or do I use the computer name where the server is located?

Also, not sure if I installed correct plugins. Here are the ones I installed:

Phoenix Fanart for Sage TV 7
Metadata Tools - Web Interface
Jetty Web Server
Old 09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
SageTVaholic

[QUOTE=gabe1475;448682][QUOTE=Fuzzy;448680]Then, in the BMT web interface (http://SERVERNAME:8080/bmt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

Can I copy and paste that or do I use the computer name where the server is located?

Also, not sure if I installed correct plugins. Here are the ones I installed:

Phoenix Fanart for Sage TV 7
Metadata Tools - Web Interface
Jetty Web Server
No, you have to use your server's name. The jetty webserver will ask for logon credentials. the default usernameassword is sage:frey (This can be changed in the plugin configuration screen for the Jetty Web Server). The web interface is actually pretty easy to figure out. Just look in the 'browse' section, and probably start off going through the 'missing metadata' section. Most your imported, non-id'd videos should be in there.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Sage User

I think I finally got it. If I transfer fanart saved on server and move to hardrive connected to extender, will it display there as well. Thanks for the help, not very knowledgable about these items.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

No, I don't think there are any imports that would make use of it in standalone mode.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Any way to get the fanart to be somewhat larger. Sees a bit small compared to what other people have posted.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure what view you are looking at.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage User

Video, then Title or DVD depending on type of file. The fanart is about 1 inch by 2 inches on a 21 inch screen. In the screenshoot, fanart looks much bigger.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Video, then Title or DVD depending on type of file. The fanart is about 1 inch by 2 inches on a 21 inch screen. In the screenshoot, fanart looks much bigger.
Which plugins are you using to display fanart... bmt will download it... but it does not actually display it.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Sage User

Using Phoenix Fanart for Sage TV 7. One of the screenshots seem to have larger fanart that what I am seeing.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Using Phoenix Fanart for Sage TV 7. One of the screenshots seem to have larger fanart that what I am seeing.
I guess the next step would be to find the fanart images in the central fanart folder and view them using a normal image viewer to see if they are small or not. If they are small, then I'd look to see what you image scaling setting are (ie, search for 'scale' in the configuration of the web ui). If they are normal size, then you might want to check the plugin author to see if there is a bug in the stv plugin.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there a tutorial, walkthrough or manual somewhere? I can't find anything like that. I've been waiting for someone like Brent to do a BMT tutorial, but I don't think that's going to happen. I really thought there used to be some documentation for setting it up and using it, but I can't find it anymore.

I haven't been following BMT development very closely, so I'm not even completely sure what functionality is in it, and what I need to do to install it and set it up (besides installing it via the v7 plugin manager).

And I've never been completely sure about naming conventions, particularly as they apply to TV. What's the best way to deal with ripped DVDs of TV shows? How should I name the 4th DVD of the 3rd season of a show?

In some cases I've separated out the episodes while encoding them with handbrake. In that case I use a [TV-show-name]- sXXeYY.mkv naming convention, which I started doing partly because I wanted to move to using BMT one day. But, even then I'm concerned about some little things. Some shows, like Firefly and Undeclared, have two different episode orderings- one based on airing date and one based on DVD ordering.

Other shows, like the third season of the West Wing, have special episodes that don't fit clearly in a number scheme. If you look at the third season of West Wing on tvdb, there's two different numbering schemes. Aired ordering starts with the special episode as "Special", then has the first "real" episode as #1. DVD ordering has special episode marked "Special", and the first real episode as "2.0".

I think I've seen other TV shows on TVDB where there's confusion about whether a 2-hour long episode gets one episode number or two.

How do I figure out what to do in these cases? Is there a good rule of thumb? Is there a way to override things that if BMT does something automatically that doesn't work for me?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Is there a tutorial, walkthrough or manual somewhere? I can't find anything like that. I've been waiting for someone like Brent to do a BMT tutorial, but I don't think that's going to happen. I really thought there used to be some documentation for setting it up and using it, but I can't find it anymore.
Any documentation that you'll find will be out date... and I don't have time to update it myself.

Quote:
I haven't been following BMT development very closely, so I'm not even completely sure what functionality is in it, and what I need to do to install it and set it up (besides installing it via the v7 plugin manager).
The installation is easy... just install it via the sage7 plugin manager. (if you install the metadata tools web ui, then it will install all the required pieces). There is a web ui component that can be used to browse your media files, update metadata, etc... and there is an automatic updater that runs when new media is added to your collection.

Quote:
And I've never been completely sure about naming conventions, particularly as they apply to TV. What's the best way to deal with ripped DVDs of TV shows? How should I name the 4th DVD of the 3rd season of a show?
TV Sets are not supported.

Quote:
In some cases I've separated out the episodes while encoding them with handbrake. In that case I use a [TV-show-name]- sXXeYY.mkv naming convention, which I started doing partly because I wanted to move to using BMT one day. But, even then I'm concerned about some little things. Some shows, like Firefly and Undeclared, have two different episode orderings- one based on airing date and one based on DVD ordering.
TVSHOWNAME - s##E##.mkv will work best. Or, TVSHOWNAME (YEAR) - S##E##.mkv if there are multiples shows with the same name but in different years.

TVSHOWNAME - YYYYMMDD.avi will probably work as well (I say probably, because I think I added support for lookup by date)

Specials are not handled at all.

Quote:
Other shows, like the third season of the West Wing, have special episodes that don't fit clearly in a number scheme. If you look at the third season of West Wing on tvdb, there's two different numbering schemes. Aired ordering starts with the special episode as "Special", then has the first "real" episode as #1. DVD ordering has special episode marked "Special", and the first real episode as "2.0".

I think I've seen other TV shows on TVDB where there's confusion about whether a 2-hour long episode gets one episode number or two.

How do I figure out what to do in these cases? Is there a good rule of thumb?
If a show on TVDB can't be resolved by S## E## then bmt will not find it. ie, specials and odd ball episodes will not match. Rule of thumb is to include S## and E## in your filename.

Quote:
Is there a way to override things that if BMT does something automatically that doesn't work for me?
You can exlude folders by regular expressions, or you can add entries to the MediaTitles.xml to force a lookup for a given show... or you can manually edit/fix things in the web ui.

Good luck... and sorry there isn't any formal documentation lying around... maybe someday.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for your help! I'm really looking forward to getting BMT working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
TV Sets are not supported.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are the implications of that? I assume just that BMT won't download fanart or metadata for those sets, and those DVDs will just appear as separate items in Sage, right?

What's the best way to deal with a lack of support for DVD sets (besides pulling out the individual episodes)? Right now I end up browsing DVDs by folder. Is that still the right way to do it?

Quote:
Specials are not handled at all.
So, what should I do with special episodes? Would it be fine to name them, for example, "West Wing- s03-Special-1"?

Quote:
If a show on TVDB can't be resolved by S## E## then bmt will not find it. ie, specials and odd ball episodes will not match. Rule of thumb is to include S## and E## in your filename.
I'm actually more concerned with cases where there is a match, but it just isn't the right match. What do I need to check on TVDB to make sure I'm naming consistently with TVDB so that BMT will match to the right thing? I guess the main thing seems to be do I need to name using "Aired Ordering" or "DVD Ordering". I've noticed DVD ordering often has a period in it (e.g., episode 4 is 4.0), and I think I've seen epside numbers like 3.1 before. If I'm suppose to use "DVD ordering" how do I deal with that?

Quote:
You can exlude folders by regular expressions, or you can add entries to the MediaTitles.xml to force a lookup for a given show... or you can manually edit/fix things in the web ui.
OK. That's good. That probably comes in handy every now and then.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what are the implications of that? I assume just that BMT won't download fanart or metadata for those sets, and those DVDs will just appear as separate items in Sage, right?
Well, there are no implications in terms of sage... but BMT will not find metadata for TV files that don't contain a season and episode in its filename. SO, the end result is that you won't get metadata for fanart for those shows, but sagetv will still display it as a generic dvd.

Quote:
What's the best way to deal with a lack of support for DVD sets (besides pulling out the individual episodes)? Right now I end up browsing DVDs by folder. Is that still the right way to do it?
Unforunately, today, there isn't a solution (in bmt) for this. If you wanted metadata, you'd have pull out the individual files

Quote:
So, what should I do with special episodes? Would it be fine to name them, for example, "West Wing- s03-Special-1"?
You could name them that... but in terms of bmt, it will not matter. I haven't fully ironed out how I can deal with specials for lookups.

Quote:
I'm actually more concerned with cases where there is a match, but it just isn't the right match. What do I need to check on TVDB to make sure I'm naming consistently with TVDB so that BMT will match to the right thing? I guess the main thing seems to be do I need to name using "Aired Ordering" or "DVD Ordering". I've noticed DVD ordering often has a period in it (e.g., episode 4 is 4.0), and I think I've seen epside numbers like 3.1 before. If I'm suppose to use "DVD ordering" how do I deal with that?
I think that tvdb contains the season and episode numbers... so if you use those, then you should be ok. I don't really have any dvd sets that I've ripped, so it's never been an issue for me. The last 2 dvd sets that I bought (big bang theory, a couple weeks back), we ended up watching them before i could even rip them Once I've watched a DVD set, i don't bother to keep it around.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I think that tvdb contains the season and episode numbers... so if you use those, then you should be ok. I don't really have any dvd sets that I've ripped, so it's never been an issue for me. The last 2 dvd sets that I bought (big bang theory, a couple weeks back), we ended up watching them before i could even rip them Once I've watched a DVD set, i don't bother to keep it around.
The problem is that TVDB keeps track of two different orderings for TV shows- the order that shows were aired, and the order that shows were put on DVDs. In many cases they're the same, but I have lots of shows where they're not (e.g., Firefly, West Wing, Undeclared, and some others). For instance, West Wing season 3 starts at episode #1 with the aired ordering, but episode #2.0 with the DVD episode ordering.

I'm guessing this means I should use the "aired ordering" numbers on TVDB. Sometimes this creates problems when a network doesn't air shows in the right order (e.g., Firefly), but it sounds like I can probably fix this manually.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The problem is that TVDB keeps track of two different orderings for TV shows- the order that shows were aired, and the order that shows were put on DVDs. In many cases they're the same, but I have lots of shows where they're not (e.g., Firefly, West Wing, Undeclared, and some others). For instance, West Wing season 3 starts at episode #1 with the aired ordering, but episode #2.0 with the DVD episode ordering.

I'm guessing this means I should use the "aired ordering" numbers on TVDB. Sometimes this creates problems when a network doesn't air shows in the right order (e.g., Firefly), but it sounds like I can probably fix this manually.
I wish I understood more about the aired vs dvd ordering... Someday, I will have to sort this out.