SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHall View Post
From my experience the linux version is mostly single threaded, so except when converting video and generating thumbnails it doesn't make use of more than one core.
This is true, although we are always hoping for more threaded happiness in future updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHall View Post
I use a 32bit version of linux (ubuntu 10.04). In theory you can run sage on a 64bit linux, but this does require some effort as sagetv has 32bit native code and needs special 32bit java libraries.
I would personally vote for an LTS flavor of Ubuntu x64, 10.04 comes to mind. I am still running 8.04 LTS, loving the lack of pain due to repositories going out of support, and LTS server versions certainly have everything you need to support a sage system (ivtv tree comes to mind). I also run the IBM 32-bit JVM and keep it as an independent install from the system JRE just so that potential updates don't impact Sage.

The HDHR is completely solid in the linux version and even the HD-PVR works well if you don't bother with the optical audio. I use the native hauppauge blasters on PVR-150s that i had left over to control my boxes, YMMV on other solutions. It does seem like CommandIR is a pretty solid option for a relatively low cost and fuss.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/ SageTV Server Linux V9.1.8.774 - Ubuntu 16.04LTS AMD64
-- 1x HDHomeRun Prime
-- 1x HDHR-DT
-- 1x HD-PVR
2x SageTV HD-300 Media Extenders
1x NVIDIA ShieldTV
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 yesterday. It was wonderfully uneventful.

HDHR and hd-pvr both work fine with me, and I tune my boxes via firewire, which is rock solid.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

For ubuntu, what are you using as your DVD backup software? I have a fairly well optimized system to automate this process complete with a "Copy or Play" menu option when inserting a disc (using other software)... any suggestions on what to use?

Also, any recommendation for remote controll programming software? I currently use LM Gestion RKM to program keystokes and perform other HTPC tasks (launch programs). What I like about RKM is that it is powerful and the learning curve is not too great and would like to find something similar.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 yesterday. It was wonderfully uneventful.

HDHR and hd-pvr both work fine with me, and I tune my boxes via firewire, which is rock solid.
Does anyone know if the HDPVR drivers in 10.10 include the patches that enable the IR blaster on the HDPVR?