SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Sage User

HD300 problems

Hello Guys,

I have 2 new HD300s to go along with my 3 HD200s and must say I really like the HD300 but I have a problem I have been fighting with for a few weeks now.

One HD300 appears to work without problems but the second one starts pausing and acting strange almost everyday.

You can be watching something recorded and try to fast forward or rewind and things will start to pause or not rewind or forward at all.
You hit forward and watch the seconds count up as normal yet the video is still. Once you hit play the video catches up to that point and starts again.
After this it may pause and then you get no video playing yet you can hit Info and see the title and the progress bar on the bottom but no video playing.
You can even go to the guide without issue until you click on a program and once again no video plays just the title and progress bar show up.

I have tried all versions of firmware for the HD300 and all show the same problem. The only thing that seems to fix this is unplugging the power to the HD300 or doing a firmware upgrade or downgrade and once back up works fine for another day or so.

I have also upgraded the server software a few times and am running the latest v7 beta.

I saw a few posts similar to this but some said the firmware upgrades fixed this. It has not fixed it for me.

Any thoughts?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Sage User

bump
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Contact Sage support for the second HD300. They'll probably want to see logs and it may need to be replaced.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Also, make sure in your testing that you attempt testing this bug out using the same identical files from the same server, and see if it has the bug on the one unit and not the other.

IF IT DOES have the problem on only one even when using identical video files on both units, then try swapping the 2 units into the opposite locations from each other to rule out bad hardware, like bad ethernet cables and bad switch ports etc. So put the one extender into the place of the other, and put that one into the place of the first one. if the one that was pausing still does that, then it is likely a defective unit (check the firmware version on it to make sure both units have the same, and latest FW).

Make sure to ALSO, move each power supply to the new location along with each extender you move, since a failing power supply can also cause these weird issues with any electronic device (if the device is starving for juice). if you have 2 small needles, you can carefully poke into the 2 wires of the power supply's cord, and with a voltmeter (set to DC 20v max), you can test the voltage to make sure the supplies are supplying sufficient power to the device. The power supply will have labeling on it to state its output DC voltage rating. You want to probe them while the unit is plugged in and playing a video (and while the skipping/pausing problem is presently occuring), so that you can test the power supply under actual load (real world conditions) when the problem exists. Too many times have I repaired equipment that had faulty power supply so don't overlook this as a possibility that could be causing this issue. You can also, at some point, just swap only the power supplies across to the opposite locations if at that point you want to rule them out as the cause of the problem.

So, if the problem switches units after moving them to opposite locations, and now the other unit has the pausing/skipping problem, then you may have a bad ethernet cable or bad switch port on your switch/router. Try moving the ethernet cable over to a different switchport, and if that doesn't help, try a different ethernet cable (or re-terminate your RJ-45 connectors on each end of your cable if you find it to be bad).

The beauty of this scenario you have, is that you have 2 identical HD-300 units, so this serves to make troubleshooting a breeze, since you know one works and the other does not.

Last edited by ojosch; 10-14-2010 at 12:22 PM.