SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Sage User

How are people setting up SageTV with FiOS these days?

I'm new to FiOS and would like to resurrect my SageTV, starting with a newly rebuilt HTPC (XP Pro, Phenom quad, buku RAM and HDD) how are people using SageTV with FiOS these days? I tried to find relevant threads in several forums but it's mostly ancient info or not very relevant to me.

My STB is a Motorola QIP7216 DVR. And I build systems and networks, so please feel free to go techie on me.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Sage Icon

You'll need an HD-PVR if you want to record HD at 720p/1080i.

Most of the relevant info can be found by searching on HD-PVR or HDPVR.

Been using it more than a year, more heavily now that SageTV v7 is available (Release Candidate -- should be final in a few weeks?) and the HDPVR is pretty darn stable for me.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Sage User

Thx for the assist, but I believe the Motorola QIP7216 is a dual SD/HD device. I have an HDHomerun as well, but no M-card, obviously. There's a $400 6-tuner device with am M-card in it, might get one around Xmas time.

Are you hooking up the PC to the PVR via what? Firewire? USB? From what I've found so far, it seems most people are using Firewire but with occasional frame drops, grr.

My HTPC is WinXP x86 based, Phenom II x4, all high-end components.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

I use an HDPVR, connected to the STB via component and to the PC via USB. The only choice is around audio stereo or SPDIF, I use the latter.

I'm not sure the importance of "dual SD/HD" device -- as far I know, you can still only output from one tuner (e.g. the live TV one) -- what outputs you use from the STB would depend on the hardware you decide to record with.

Perhaps you could describe more what your goal is? Record in HD or just SD? External recorder for SageTV or internal? Use only the HDHomerum for clear QAM? Record encrypted channels in addition?

If you're wanting to use the Ceton device, you'll need to use the SageMCTuner add-on (not sure which version of Windows that might require).
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Sage Icon

I have FIOS for about 18 months now, and I use the HDPVR to record HD channels throught the Motorola QIP7100's component output. Channel changing is done with firewire, just make sure you run a 32bit version of Windows XP/Vista/7. It has been pretty smooth experience and no major problems. Your mileage varies with the HDPVR as some people have nothing but problems with them while people like me have little to no problems, and I'm not sure if there's a definite answer as to why.

After reading through the SageMCTuner thread and seeing how Mythikal managed to get the Ceton quad tuner to work, I'm saving up money to get the Ceton ($400). I read that FIOS most if not all FIOS channels are watchable with the Ceton, so that's a good sign.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Tags
dvr, fios, motorola qip-7216