SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Sage User

Exclamation HD-PVR blaster doesn't work with STB

I'm not sure if this is the right place for my issue, but I'm desperate...

I just upgraded to Win7 64 thanks to a hard drive failure (figured I'd get the latest OS) and I purchased a new HD-PVR to go along with it. Setting up the HD-PVR today with the new cable box, a Cisco RNG200, I couldn't get the IR blaster to work.

I've scoured the internet for hours to try and figure out alternatives. I used HIP for the last 4 years with my XP setup, but that doesn't seem to work with Win7 (and without the replacement drivers).

Does anyone out there have any thoughts? After spending some decent $ on my upgrades I'd prefer not to have to go USB-UIRT, but I'm wondering if that's my only hope at this point.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Sage Icon

Nothing useful / helpful in this thread? http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43747 (mostly RNG110 but maybe something useful in there?)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Sage User

I've gone through that thread several times, but other than finding the hex codes on the RC forum (and unfortunately I don't know how to use those with the HD-PVR blaster config program) I didn't see anything else that could help.

The HD-PVR blaster config also doesn't seem to want to learn the codes from the remote, I keep getting an error. At this point I'm at my wits end and can't seem to find any other options...
Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Sage Icon

Unfortunately, if the STB code isn't in the Blaster Config program, then I think you are SOL. I've never seen a report of anyone being successful getting the program to actually learn any IR. Everyone gets the same error as you.

Unfortunately, I think the only option for those with STBs not in the default Hauppauge Blaster Config program is to buy a USB-UIRT or another third party IR blaster. These can learn IR without any problems. So you should be able to get it to work with any STB.

The Hauppauge Blaster works fine for most people, but only if the STB can be found.

PS - don't simply go by the names of the STBs listed in the Hauppauge config program. Go ahead and manually try each STB listed for the manufacturer of your STB. You might find that one of the other STB files works with your box. Don't use the test button in the config program as that doesn't work either. You'll need to actually try to change the channel with the Sage remote and see if the STB reacts.

Good luck!
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Sage User

Thanks sic0048. I was thinking today that USB-UIRT was my last option (because I know dealing with Comcast to get an older box would be more painful than spending another $50).

I'll give your suggestion of manually attempting the codes for the STB instead of the 'test all' option in the config. There aren't any Cisco options, but I believe they're also branded Scientific Atlanta in some parts, so I'll see if any of those work.

Appreciate the input!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

You can also use the USB-UIRT IR Helper program to get the computer to control the set top box independently of SageTV. This helps to isolate and troubleshoot problems.

I did have one set top box where the remote control supplied with the set top box worked to control the set top box, but the remote control would not work with the USB-UIRT to control the set top box. I had a different, older cable set top box that also worked directly with the newer cable set top box and with the USB-UIRT.

I gave up on my HD-PVR IR blaster years ago. It did not work and it caused the HD-PVR to be very unstable.

Dave