SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

V7 upgrade path

If I have v6.6 and I want to purchase an upgrade license, does that mean that I have to install 6.6 and then upgrade to v7 if I want to do a fresh install?

I've been waiting for v7 so I can upgrade to windows 7 at the same time. I'd hate to have to install 6.6 and then v7 if that's what the license key requires.

Also, I assume v7 will work with my HD-100 box?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think the whole number updates always require a fee - that's the way it was when they went to V6. The fractional updates are included with the previous license (so V7.1 would be a no-fee update).

So, yes, if you want to do an update, you will need a new key - the previous one will just give you a message that it is an old key, and that you will need to buy a new one. You don't need to install the older version once you have the V7 key.

EDIT - actually, I think it is more complicated than this. The more I think about it, I believe you have to have the first full license key you bought (when you bought into SageTV the first time). In my case, I originally bought a full V4 or 5 license, so I had to provide it and all subsequent upgrade keys in order for my latest upgrade key (to V7) to work. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by pgman; 11-11-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm fine paying the upgrade fee but since I work in software sales, I know licensing can get tricky. If I need to install 6.6 first, I will. It's just a pain...I'd rather do a fresh 7 install but still be able to use my upgrade version key
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I beleive you will not have a problem doing a direct 7 install. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
If I have v6.6 and I want to purchase an upgrade license, does that mean that I have to install 6.6 and then upgrade to v7 if I want to do a fresh install?

I've been waiting for v7 so I can upgrade to windows 7 at the same time. I'd hate to have to install 6.6 and then v7 if that's what the license key requires.
You do not need to install v6 first; you can install v7 on a new PC/fresh OS.

To use an upgrade key, you will first need to enter the original upgrade key, then enter the upgrade key when it asks for another key.

Quote:
Also, I assume v7 will work with my HD-100 box?
Yes, but make sure you update the firmware. I think the firmware is still in the beta category, so see the announcement forum's HD100 notification topic for info/links about installing it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Awesome. Time to go shopping
Old 11-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

And no upgrades required for client and placeshifter licenses right? Just the main server?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APillowOfClouds View Post
And no upgrades required for client and placeshifter licenses right? Just the main server?
Right. The download page states:
Quote:
License Notes: SageTV Media Center for Windows is a free update if you already own a license for it that was purchased on or after December 1st, 2009. SageTV Media Center for Windows licenses purchased before that date require a Version 7 upgrade license which is available here.
The SageTV Placeshifter and SageTV Client updates are free. No version 7 upgrade license is required for Client, Placeshifter, or Media Extender licenses. All Linux licenses are also still valid.
And, until the v7 release post is updated, the original v7 beta announcement states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
VERY IMPORTANT!!! UPGRADE PRICING
Some licenses will require an upgrade fee to function in Version 7. Here's the rules:
1. Mac and Linux licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee
2. Placeshifter and Media Extender licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee
3. SageTVClient licenses do NOT require an upgrade fee
4. SageTV Media Center for Windows licenses purchased on or after Dec. 1st, 2009 do NOT require an upgrade fee
5. There is a 21 day free trial of SageTV Media Center on Windows for those who do not fall into the above categories or who are new users of SageTV
6. Upgrade licenses for SageTV Media Center on Windows are $39.99 and are valid with any prior license for SageTV Media Center for Windows.

Upgrade licenses for SageTV Media Center on Windows can be purchased here: http://store.sagetv.com/mm5/merchant...tegory_Code=SS
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

upgrade fee

Is there a time limit on the upgrade fee? Currently running v6.6 and can't get to installing v7 at this time.